Ulster SFC - Down v Antrim - Sat 26 May 2018 @ 7:00pm - Pairc Esler, Newry.

Started by AQMP, May 21, 2018, 10:57:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

SHEEDY

Down manager Eamonn Burns has handed a championship debut to Castlewellan's Colm Flanagan for Saturday's Ulster SFC game against Antrim in Newry.

Corner-back Flanagan made his entrance to intercounty football during the Dr McKenna Cup.

With injured Darragh O'Hanlon missing, Darren O'Hagan, Niall McParland and Caolan Mooney are in the half-backs.

An experienced attack includes Kevin McKernan, Conor Maginn, Donal O'Hare, Connaire Harrison and Ryan Johnston.

All Antrim's starting 15 have championship experience with Peter Healy and Ruairi McCann having made the debuts against Donegal last summer.

CJ McGourty is a notable absentee from the squad managed by his uncle Lenny Harbinson after he opted out following the Football League.

Right half-back Kevin O'Boyle captains the team with an experienced line-up also including Ricky Johnston, James Laverty, Niall McKeever, Mark Sweeney, Mark Fitzpatrick and the Murray brothers Conor and Ryan.

After staying in touch with Donegal in the first half of last year's Ulster SFC quarter-final, the Saffrons collapsed to a 3-19 to 1-9 defeat at Ballybofey before exiting at the first stage of the qualifiers against Sligo.

Down reached the Ulster final last year after surprising both Armagh and Monaghan but were heavily beaten by Tyrone in the provincial final.

The Mourne County then exited from the championship when Monaghan avenged their Ulster semi-final defeat by earning a 1-24 to 1-16 win in the last qualifying round.

Both Down and Antrim had uninspiring league campaigns in the Spring with Down relegated to Division Three after defeats by Cork, Clare, Cavan and Meath and the Saffrons failing to get out of Division Four.

Down: M Reid; C Flanagan, B McArdle, A Doherty; D O'Hagan, N McParland, C Mooney; P Turley, N Donnelly; K McKernan, C Maginn, S Millar; D O'Hare, C Harrison, R Johnston.

Antrim: C Kerr; P Healy, P Gallagher, N Delargy; K O'Boyle (capt), R Johnston, J Laverty; P McAleer, N McKeever; M Sweeney, C Murray, R McCann; R Murray, M Fitzpatrick, P McBride. Subs: A Hasson, S Beatty, P Branagan, C Burke, C Duffin, O Eastwood, K Healy, C Lemon, D Lynch, M McCarry, E Walsh.
nil satis nisi optimum

illdecide

Guys is this on iplayer? Dunno whether to go or not as I haven't purchased a ticket and don't fancy paying £30 for a ticket
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

imtommygunn

Sadly the question was if down had dropped far enough back for antrim to be as good as them... the answer would appear to be no!

Jules

Quote from: Leftmidfield on May 26, 2018, 07:34:45 PM
Quote from: Jules on May 26, 2018, 06:00:49 PM
Yep save your money it's on iplayer
How do u watch it on iplayer ?
Sorry only seeing this - go to menu, scroll across to n Ireland and it's there

illdecide

Good call... Jasus Antrim are near as bad as what Armagh were last Sat night
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

thewobbler

Antrim are making Down look like Dublin.

Which makes me both happy sad.

BennyCake

Quote from: illdecide on May 26, 2018, 08:13:12 PM

Good call... Jasus Antrim are near as bad as what Armagh were last Sat night

How dare you!... We were much worse!  ;D

thewobbler

Well done Down.

Antrim were turgid, but apart being intercepted sloppily a few times, Down looked assured and played well as a unit. Could have won by 15 if we had have been added, but would have done us no favours.

Job well done.

Targetman

A handy enough win this evening for Down, thought Antrim would have given us a better game but Down were just too strong for them, a high scoring affair in the u20's match in which Down were good going forward and dodgy at the back, 2 wins so no complaints (tonight)!

SHEEDY

Comfortable win. Not a match the ulster council are going to use to convince supporters back through the turnstiles though. Ticket prices are a disgrace for the product on offer. Still good to get 2 wins, tougher test next day. Onwards and upwards. An dun abu.
nil satis nisi optimum