Gooch Cooper testimonial dinner

Started by yellowcard, September 13, 2017, 11:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Esmarelda

Quote from: thewobbler on September 27, 2017, 10:42:07 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on September 27, 2017, 10:31:51 AM
thewobbler, can you explain the second part of your last post? I've read it over and over and still can't make out what it is you're saying. The part I mean is "..... he she probably only did that because half of his management team at under-12 (I'm guessing) were only there because they recognised they could be part of a championship set-up if Gooch is playing, and brought nothing to the table at all."

A number of times on this thread people have mentioned that the only reason Gooch has got where he is because of the legion of volunteers throughout his life. The intimation being that making a personal gain (after his career is over)is an affront to these volunteers. It would seem that some observers would support this fundraiser if the funds could be sent back down the chain.

I'm suggesting that in gooch's case, I'd expect that more than a few volunteers rode on his shirt tails.

Not all, probably not even many. But definitely some.
Oh right.

You think that some of the volunteers on Gooch's underage teams got/stayed involved because they saw talented player and wanted the slaps on the back when he inevitably became a great adult player?

Obviously I can't say you're wrong but it's a strange argument, presumably without any evidence.

If it's true then we'll just say the other half, the ones that didn't do it for the glory, are the people that other posters are talking about.

thewobbler

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 27, 2017, 11:06:04 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 27, 2017, 10:42:07 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on September 27, 2017, 10:31:51 AM
thewobbler, can you explain the second part of your last post? I've read it over and over and still can't make out what it is you're saying. The part I mean is "..... he she probably only did that because half of his management team at under-12 (I'm guessing) were only there because they recognised they could be part of a championship set-up if Gooch is playing, and brought nothing to the table at all."

A number of times on this thread people have mentioned that the only reason Gooch has got where he is because of the legion of volunteers throughout his life. The intimation being that making a personal gain (after his career is over)is an affront to these volunteers. It would seem that some observers would support this fundraiser if the funds could be sent back down the chain.

I'm suggesting that in gooch's case, I'd expect that more than a few volunteers rode on his shirt tails.

Not all, probably not even many. But definitely some.
Oh right.

You think that some of the volunteers on Gooch's underage teams got/stayed involved because they saw talented player and wanted the slaps on the back when he inevitably became a great adult player?

Obviously I can't say you're wrong but it's a strange argument, presumably without any evidence.

If it's true then we'll just say the other half, the ones that didn't do it for the glory, are the people that other posters are talking about.

But I don't understand why anyone who had a genuine interest or hand in Gooch's development would feel aggrieved at him earning money. It's not like he let down any of those volunteers in terms of fulfilling his playing potential, or in terms of career longevity. Why on earth would anyone feel displaced from this?

Esmarelda

That's a fair enough opinion. I wasn't one of those that brought that particular point up.  It doesn't really account for your view on some of the volunteers' motives though.

johnneycool

Considering the Crokes won several Kerry and Munster club titles before finally winning an AI last year, these same coaches must have done a bit of work with the other lads as well. Gooch couldn't do it all on his own or he would have been like Declan Brown in Tipp, very talented but didn't have the team around him to push on for titles.

Hope some recognition goes to his team mates who were every bit as responsible for some of his AI medals as he was.

The media do love a forward though!

yellowcard

Syferus

Quote from: johnneycool on September 27, 2017, 12:58:26 PM
Considering the Crokes won several Kerry and Munster club titles before finally winning an AI last year, these same coaches must have done a bit of work with the other lads as well. Gooch couldn't do it all on his own or he would have been like Declan Brown in Tipp, very talented but didn't have the team around him to push on for titles.

Hope some recognition goes to his team mates who were every bit as responsible for some of his AI medals as he was.

public.

vallankumous

Quote from: yellowcard on September 27, 2017, 02:06:02 PM
http://www.murrayspelman.ie/colm-gooch-cooper-testimonial-dinner/

Unfortunately it looks like it's invitation only this event.

Who owns the image rights to the Kerry jersey?

Not that I'd expect the Kerry County board to object. Just wondering.

seafoid

Quote from: yellowcard on September 27, 2017, 02:06:02 PM
http://www.murrayspelman.ie/colm-gooch-cooper-testimonial-dinner/

Unfortunately it looks like it's invitation only this event.
Colm 'Gooch' Cooper was on the Kerry senior football team for over 15 years winning an incredible 5 All Irelands,

2 against cork
2 against Mayo
1 against Donegal
0 against Dublin
0 against Tyrone

I would say it will be sold as a great networking opportunity
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Good to see the riff raff will be kept away.
Some of them might turn up with NO TIE! !!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Il Bomber Destro

Can we all just agree that Gooch is a shameless money grabber and move on. It's clear as day that he feels he deserves to earn a packet because he was a decent player back in the day and what he is doing is unprecedented in the game.

I don't think managers getting paid is right but it's a very time consuming job. You're probably looking at 20-25 hrs a week combined with what can be a lot of pressure and stick.

Gooch is just handing out a begging bowl to top us his retirement fund. It is shameless but I'm not all that surprised, despite his goody two shoes media image, he's always been a bit of a duplicitous snake.

Those defending his actions as anything other than selfish and greedy need to give themselves a good shake.

johnneycool

Quote from: Syferus on September 27, 2017, 02:29:59 PM

public.

Joe public maybe, but some of us with a little more in depth knowledge know it takes more than the wee fancy dans to win games.

Syferus

Quote from: johnneycool on September 28, 2017, 10:29:16 AM
Quote from: Syferus on September 27, 2017, 02:29:59 PM

public.

Joe public maybe, but some of us with a little more in depth knowledge know it takes more than the wee fancy dans to win games.

In the end it's easier to teach a player how to defend than it is how to attack. You could be stone useless as a footballer but still be a decent back - the same cannot be said of a forward.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Aaron Boone

Why's it in Dublin, not Tralee/Killarney? It's all a bit strange. Black tie as well.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Aaron Boone on September 29, 2017, 01:06:04 AM
Why's it in Dublin, not Tralee/Killarney? It's all a bit strange. Black tie as well.

All the big Kerry money men are in Dublin!

It is a good question.