Gooch Cooper testimonial dinner

Started by yellowcard, September 13, 2017, 11:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: Maiden1 on September 26, 2017, 04:05:24 PM
Someone offered him 250000 to give a talk for a couple of hours.  He asked the guy organising it if he thought there would be enough people in Dublin willing to pay 500 EUR each.  Money for old rope he'd be mad not to.

there's a lot of mad folk on here by the looks of it

Syferus

Quote from: JoG2 on September 26, 2017, 04:10:06 PM
Quote from: Maiden1 on September 26, 2017, 04:05:24 PM
Someone offered him 250000 to give a talk for a couple of hours.  He asked the guy organising it if he thought there would be enough people in Dublin willing to pay 500 EUR each.  Money for old rope he'd be mad not to.

there's a lot of mad folk on here by the looks of it

Very easy to express strong morals in the abstract.

The Boy Wonder

Think of all the players with the similar length playing careers who step away quietly having had sufficient fulfilment from playing the game and representing their counties. They would have given the same dedicated service and made the same personal sacrifices as CC. Most would have enjoyed few if any medals, All Star awards, team holidays etc.

I think Colm Cooper's head has been turned by attending similar junkets for retired professional sportsmen like BOD.

Rossfan

Off with his head!!!
Cooper the mane hoor cashing in on his fame as a footballer.
Unlike all the lads who travel the highways and by ways over the winter presenting medals etc.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

vallankumous

This should be in the non GAA section

Esmarelda

Quote from: Rossfan on September 26, 2017, 06:28:34 PM
Off with his head!!!
Unlike all the lads who travel the highways and by ways over the winter presenting medals etc.
You may have a point. Maybe it's the sum of money between this case and the example you highlight that makes the difference.

vallankumous

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 27, 2017, 09:33:00 AM
Off with his head!!!
You may have a point. Maybe it's the sum of money between this case and the example you highlight that makes the difference.

Never seen anyone get more than expenses for handing out medals.

thewobbler

Off with his head!!!

Of course he has a point.

Someone has identified a way to make himself and Gooch a pot load of cash each for one night's work. Cash that would never otherwise have found its way into the GAA. Cash that has absolutely no bearing on future fundraising efforts by his club or county (both of which no doubt he will spearhead in the short to medium term).

Yet some still believe he is greedy / immoral / unsporting / ungrateful to take it. Only they know why.

—�

By the way, while Gooch has no doubt enjoyed the benefit of many excellent coaches, mentors and advisors throughout his career, he has also no doubt had to endure plenty of characters who assumed those roles but really should have. Those who are suggesting that this is two fingers to the mam who washed his club's under-12 kit should accept that he she probably only did that because half of his management team at under-12 (I'm guessing) were only there because they recognised they could be part of a championship set-up if Gooch is playing, and brought nothing to the table at all.

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on September 27, 2017, 09:41:42 AM

Someone has identified a way to make himself and Gooch a pot load of cash each for one night's work. Cash that would never otherwise have found its way into the GAA. Cash that has absolutely no bearing on future fundraising efforts by his club or county (both of which no doubt he will spearhead in the short to medium term).

I think this kind of thing will start attracting at least some money that might otherwise have made its way into the GAA proper. You could imagine Mayo (say) having a dinner at this time of year with players attending in order to raise funds for next year. If a dinner is needed for testimonials then there could be a displacement effect.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Quote from: vallankumous on September 27, 2017, 09:37:49 AM
Off with his head!!!

Never seen anyone get more than expenses for handing out medals.
Right.
I've never seen a Co manager getting paid anything more than expenses.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Franko

Quote from: thewobbler on September 27, 2017, 09:41:42 AM
Off with his head!!!

Of course he has a point.

Yet some still believe he is greedy / immoral / unsporting / ungrateful to take it. Only they know why.

—�

By the way, while Gooch has no doubt enjoyed the benefit of many excellent coaches, mentors and advisors throughout his career, he has also no doubt had to endure plenty of characters who assumed those roles but really should have. Those who are suggesting that this is two fingers to the mam who washed his club's under-12 kit should accept that he she probably only did that because half of his management team at under-12 (I'm guessing) were only there because they recognised they could be part of a championship set-up if Gooch is playing, and brought nothing to the table at all.

This is definitely not true.  Businesses have a budget for this sort of carry on - if they blow 5k on a table at this jolly for Cooper alone, the next boy coming to the door selling a 500 euro table for his club's gala or looking a couple of hundred for a sign around the pitch is going to have a fair job getting it signed off.

Esmarelda

thewobbler, can you explain the second part of your last post? I've read it over and over and still can't make out what it is you're saying. The part I mean is "..... he she probably only did that because half of his management team at under-12 (I'm guessing) were only there because they recognised they could be part of a championship set-up if Gooch is playing, and brought nothing to the table at all."

The Gs Man

Took me a couple of reads, but I'm assuming he meant that Gooch's coaches at U12 level spotted his talent early on and were therefore glory-hunters.
Keep 'er lit

vallankumous

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 27, 2017, 10:31:51 AM
thewobbler, can you explain the second part of your last post? I've read it over and over and still can't make out what it is you're saying. The part I mean is "..... he she probably only did that because half of his management team at under-12 (I'm guessing) were only there because they recognised they could be part of a championship set-up if Gooch is playing, and brought nothing to the table at all."

I'm confused too

thewobbler

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 27, 2017, 10:31:51 AM

A number of times on this thread people have mentioned that the only reason Gooch has got where he is because of the legion of volunteers throughout his life. The intimation being that making a personal gain (after his career is over)is an affront to these volunteers. It would seem that some observers would support this fundraiser if the funds could be sent back down the chain.

I'm suggesting that in gooch's case, I'd expect that more than a few volunteers rode on his shirt tails.

Not all, probably not even many. But definitely some.