Gooch Cooper testimonial dinner

Started by yellowcard, September 13, 2017, 11:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: thewobbler on September 25, 2017, 09:19:42 AM
I would also expect that any footballer / hurler who has a problem with Connolly / O'Shea / Canning etc. making money from their profile is not a teammate you would want to have.

Firstly, they're only high-profile enough because they're good enough to win games by themselves, which means that if you train 51.5 week's a year, you've a much better chance of reward. As long as they're training hard and playing well, then how they earn a living is their own business.

Secondly, this is a faucet, and there is a trickle down effect. Sponsors follow sponsors. If you've the 29th highest profile on a panel, you probably won't see much of the trickle down. But in a successful team (which generally will have high profile players), most of the starters will enjoy some of the effects.

Seriously?

thewobbler

Yep Seanie.

Surely you'd accept that the difference in the noughties between Sligo being a D3/D4 side, and one that could beat D1 sides, was the presence of Eamon O'Hara?

Il Bomber Destro

I would also expect that any footballer / hurler who has a problem with Connolly / O'Shea / Canning etc. making money from their profile is not a teammate you would want to have.

Firstly, they're only high-profile enough because they're good enough to win games by themselves, which means that if you train 51.5 week's a year, you've a much better chance of reward. As long as they're training hard and playing well, then how they earn a living is their own business.

Secondly, this is a faucet, and there is a trickle down effect. Sponsors follow sponsors. If you've the 29th highest profile on a panel, you probably won't see much of the trickle down. But in a successful team (which generally will have high profile players), most of the starters will enjoy some of the effects.

All those players are players in a team game that does not directly financially reward you. The likes of Canning and O'Shra are the high profile players but are they their team's most important players. I don't think so and in Mayo's case I would have O'Shea a fair length down in Mayo's best performers over the past 5 years or so.

I'd imagine if you were a Jason Doherty or Kevin McLoughlin, guys who have given a lot up over the past few years and arguably been as important to Mayo as O'Shea has in that time, they would be slightly resentful to O'Shea making a killing out of his profile as a Mayo player and them getting very little back in return.

Last Man

Why not give it all to charity?? He has good job in AIB, a great profile and will always be one of the all time greats of football. As Brolly says he will always be "looked after" where ever he goes in this country. Really scratching my head about this and can only surmise that Cooper isnt the only one cashing in. Hopefully some other big name will step up to head line an event with all the money raised going to charity, that might pull the rug from under them.

6th sam

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 25, 2017, 09:37:08 AM

Seriously?

Wobbler , always gives an honest well thought out viewpoint, and this concept is valid for most professional sports. Where I would differ, and agree with Brolly on this one, is that though the GAA should learn from other sports , we need to remember that the GAA is different. The GAA is unique worldwide, as there is no other comparable indigenous organisation that has units in virtually every area in the country, owning their own facilities , and providing healthy activity for all who want it. We are at a massive disadvantage in that we don't have and never will have the global appeal and publicity of other sports. We would not survive without the work of thousands of volunteers, many of whom are motivated by the GAA's special ethos of amateur status, inclusivity, sense of place, irishness. Those that underestimate or undermine the importance of those ideals, are playing a very dangerous game. I enjoy and respect other sports, but In my opinion, if we operate the GAA like any other sport, e.g. AFL, soccer, we can never compete on so many comparable levels. The reason why we currently thrive is because we are different. Those that would dilute our ethos , should be careful what they wish for.

seafoid

Quote from: 6th sam on September 25, 2017, 11:14:42 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 25, 2017, 09:37:08 AM

Seriously?

Wobbler , always gives an honest well thought out viewpoint, and this concept is valid for most professional sports. Where I would differ, and agree with Brolly on this one, is that though the GAA should learn from other sports , we need to remember that the GAA is different. The GAA is unique worldwide, as there is no other comparable indigenous organisation that has units in virtually every area in the country, owning their own facilities , and providing healthy activity for all who want it. We are at a massive disadvantage in that we don't have and never will have the global appeal and publicity of other sports. We would not survive without the work of thousands of volunteers, many of whom are motivated by the GAA's special ethos of amateur status, inclusivity, sense of place, irishness. Those that underestimate or undermine the importance of those ideals, are playing a very dangerous game. I enjoy and respect other sports, but In my opinion, if we operate the GAA like any other sport, e.g. AFL, soccer, we can never compete on so many comparable levels. The reason why we currently thrive is because we are different. Those that would dilute our ethos , should be careful what they wish for.
Global appeal would destroy the GAA. Money has broken soccer. Chelsea and Liverpool sell identity to young men in Asia and buy the cream of world talent. They don't develop local soccer . England are shit even though they have the richest league 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

general_lee

This isn't something that sits well with me and while I'm quite sure the Gooch himself wasn't the brainchild behind it, I'm surprised someone with his modesty has agreed to it. Most high profile county players, especially in a county like Kerry, are more than well looked after. Jobs handed to them from sponsors, driving the latest Audi or BMW, not to mention the gear, meals, hotels, training facilities provided by their county boards and clubs and whatever else comes their way. Unless he's seriously in debt I can't really see any justification for this kind of thing in the GAA

thewobbler

Let's take the case of David Clifford.

Before the minor final roughly every 20 out of 30 column inches about the final were devoted to him. After the final that went up to about 25 out of 30.

Should he avoid the lure of Oz, he will never need a student loan to complete his degree. He will never have to look for work and will hit 6-figures early in his career, for what will be a part time job (so long as he avoids injury). He will never again buy boots or gloves out of his own pocket.

The second best minor player in the country might have been on show last weekend and nobody outside his parish will be aware of this fact, and he will be unlikely to enjoy even remotely similar trappings.

But does anyone really think that one player in the Kerry squad will ever resent David Clifford benefitting in such a way from his ability? They after all each benefitted as much as you can in the game just from happening to be born in age group in his county. They'll have happy memories forever because of that.

magpie seanie

Quote from: thewobbler on September 25, 2017, 09:47:24 AM
Yep Seanie.

Surely you'd accept that the difference in the noughties between Sligo being a D3/D4 side, and one that could beat D1 sides, was the presence of Eamon O'Hara?

That's an entirely different statement than "they're good enough to win games by themselves". Eamonn was brilliant, best I've ever seen in a Sligo jersey, but he was around a long time before we eventually won something. Kearins similarly though I never saw him play. No man can win a game "by themselves". They can be the best player on the pitch but without your 14 teammates you'll win zero.

Syferus

Quote from: thewobbler on September 25, 2017, 12:03:22 PM
Let's take the case of David Clifford.

Before the minor final roughly every 20 out of 30 column inches about the final were devoted to him. After the final that went up to about 25 out of 30.

Should he avoid the lure of Oz, he will never need a student loan to complete his degree. He will never have to look for work and will hit 6-figures early in his career, for what will be a part time job (so long as he avoids injury). He will never again buy boots or gloves out of his own pocket.

The second best minor player in the country might have been on show last weekend and nobody outside his parish will be aware of this fact, and he will be unlikely to enjoy even remotely similar trappings.

But does anyone really think that one player in the Kerry squad will ever resent David Clifford benefitting in such a way from his ability? They after all each benefitted as much as you can in the game just from happening to be born in age group in his county. They'll have happy memories forever because of that.

Kerry would have won all their minor AIs with or without Clifford. The hype seems to have missed the point he's been on a team filled with minor stars.

thewobbler

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 25, 2017, 12:20:02 PM
Yep Seanie.

That's an entirely different statement than "they're good enough to win games by themselves". Eamonn was brilliant, best I've ever seen in a Sligo jersey, but he was around a long time before we eventually won something. Kearins similarly though I never saw him play. No man can win a game "by themselves". They can be the best player on the pitch but without your 14 teammates you'll win zero.

Okay so it's the semantics you disagree with. It takes 15 players to field a team and at most of them or the races to make it competitive. But even at the highest level, one outstanding player can be the difference between winning and losing. Not just for their individual efforts but for how teammates raise their games and change their way of playing because of him. Maybe not "winning games by himself". But perhaps "the difference between winning and losing".

Syferus. We've just seen possibly the finest juvenile player in history, but you reckon his county would still win every game without him. Who am I to deny you an opinion, even if you're clearly mad?

Syferus

Quote from: thewobbler on September 25, 2017, 01:47:31 PM
Yep Seanie.

Okay so it's the semantics you disagree with. It takes 15 players to field a team and at most of them or the races to make it competitive. But even at the highest level, one outstanding player can be the difference between winning and losing. Not just for their individual efforts but for how teammates raise their games and change their way of playing because of him. Maybe not "winning games by himself". But perhaps "the difference between winning and losing".

Syferus. We've just seen possibly the finest juvenile player in history, but you reckon his county would still win every game without him. Who am I to deny you an opinion, even if you're clearly mad?

Do you seriously think they wouldn't have beaten Derry without Clifford? Explain the first year they won the AI where he wasn't involved at all, then? Or the next one? I cannot believe how willing you are to deify a single player when it's clear to anyone looking at Kerry that they built a conveyor belt of talent that extends far beyond a single player.

Take a step back on this one.

Orchard park

Quote from: Syferus on September 25, 2017, 01:56:25 PM
Yep Seanie.

Do you seriously think they wouldn't have beaten Derry without Clifford? Explain the first year they won the AI where he wasn't involved at all, then? Or his own first one when he was a kid? I cannot believe how willing you are to deify a single player when it's clear to anyone looking at Kerry that they built a conveyor belt of talent that extends far beyond a single player.

In fairness Sfyerus you name checked Evan Murphy of Galway as the outstanding minor of 2017 a few months ago........

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on September 25, 2017, 01:59:42 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 25, 2017, 01:56:25 PM
Yep Seanie.

Do you seriously think they wouldn't have beaten Derry without Clifford? Explain the first year they won the AI where he wasn't involved at all, then? Or his own first one when he was a kid? I cannot believe how willing you are to deify a single player when it's clear to anyone looking at Kerry that they built a conveyor belt of talent that extends far beyond a single player.

In fairness Sfyerus you name checked Evan Murphy of Galway as the outstanding minor of 2017 a few months ago........

I take it you need to have not seen him very much to say he's not outstanding. Stop trying to derail another thread.

joemamas

Quote from: Last Man on September 25, 2017, 11:14:26 AM
Why not give it all to charity?? He has good job in AIB, a great profile and will always be one of the all time greats of football. As Brolly says he will always be "looked after" where ever he goes in this country. Really scratching my head about this and can only surmise that Cooper isnt the only one cashing in. Hopefully some other big name will step up to head line an event with all the money raised going to charity, that might pull the rug from under them.

Posted by: general_lee
« on: Today at 11:57:03 AM »
Insert Quote

"This isn't something that sits well with me and while I'm quite sure the Gooch himself wasn't the brainchild behind it, I'm surprised someone with his modesty has agreed to it. Most high profile county players, especially in a county like Kerry, are more than well looked after. Jobs handed to them from sponsors, driving the latest Audi or BMW, not to mention the gear, meals, hotels, training facilities provided by their county boards and clubs and whatever else comes their way. Unless he's seriously in debt I can't really see any justification for this kind of thing in the GAA "

I took the liberty of trying to copy two comments, I may have messed it up.

But I agree with both, especially the point that he is not the only one cashing in.

You may have hit the nail on the head.

PR folks and event organizers are licking their lips at the future prospects of having a half a dozen or more of these a year going forward. A stretch, maybe, maybe not.

As a footballer and a modest individual, I have the utmost respect for what he has achieved on the pitch and all the work and effort off the field to help him to achieve same.

But I really have a problem with this. The guy could write columns and be a presenter on the TV for the next twenty years ala Pat Spillane, Colm O Rourke, Ciaran Whealan, and I would say good luck to him for monetizing his success and popularity. But if the folks on here think that this is a one and done, dream on.

IMO it is wrong on so many levels.

If a player or former player falls on hard times and does not have the possibility of supplementing his income and genuinely needs help, I have no problem with that.

Lastly, I am curious, have the GPA made any comment on this.