Gooch Cooper testimonial dinner

Started by yellowcard, September 13, 2017, 11:03:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Pity they couldn't organise something to pay for or  provide accomodation for some if the families living in Hotel rooms.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

lurganblue

Fair play to him. Cash in if there are people stupid enough to pay for this shite.

Syferus

Quote from: lurganblue on September 14, 2017, 12:00:06 PM
Fair play to him. Cash in if there are people stupid enough to pay for this shite.

I hear that's Ulster GAA's approach to games too.

lurganblue

Quote from: Syferus on September 14, 2017, 02:06:39 PM

Def the same approach Armagh County board has to club championship games.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Syferus on September 14, 2017, 02:06:39 PM

They're just cashing in on the AI medals that have come to the province over the past 25 years or so.

yellowcard

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/i-think-its-an-extremely-disappointing-development-joe-brolly-takes-issue-with-colm-coopers-testimonial-dinner-36161741.html

According to Cooper it appears as though Padraig Duffy has sanctioned this which is worrying. However it's entirely consistent with the direction the GAA has taken under himself and O' Fearghail with the maximisation of revenue streams being at the forefront of their plans. The GAA window dress their aims by stating that their primary concern are the clubs, Cooper has window dressed this event as a charity night. For as long as there is no direction from the top this problem is only going to increase.

Il Bomber Destro

I fully agree with Brolly's comments on this. I find the greed a bit sickening to be honest. Cooper is probably a player who has generated a lot greater financially than most of his peers throughout his career, he will continue to benefit financially after it. This just stinks of pure greed, defending it or not - that's what it is.

I suppose it won't be long until Fine Gael have him on their election ticket.

magpie seanie

Some people are just greedy. We can't change it. The world would be a much better place if this wasn't the case but sadly it is. And greed begets greed - "if he's doing it then why shouldn't I".

Syferus

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 24, 2017, 09:55:42 AM
Some people are just greedy. We can't change it. The world would be a much better place if this wasn't the case but sadly it is. And greed begets greed - "if he's doing it then why shouldn't I".

Such nonsense to expect private citizens not to look to earn money in a capitalist society because of some vague sense of duty.

Has Brolly ever taken on a case he didn't believe in, I wonder?

Itchy

I don't blame Cooper, I blame the stupid gobdhitrs that would pay into it

longballin

Quote from: Syferus on September 24, 2017, 02:29:10 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 24, 2017, 09:55:42 AM

Such nonsense to expect private citizens not to look to earn money in a capitalist society because of some vague sense of duty.

Has Brolly ever taken on a case he didn't believe in, I wonder?

The greed came with the Celtic Tiger which has breed that mindset, how can I fill my pockets with money and made it's way into the GAA big-time.

Rossfan

How long have the GAA been charging people  to see games?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

Quit I have already had the pleasure and privilege of meeting Gooch on two occasions.The last was three years ago in the Hospitality suite at Old Trafford during a Man Utd V Liverpool game.My admiration for him is boundless.Good luck to the lad,he has given the GAA and Kerry so much.If he makes a few bob,great,he deserves every penny.

longballin

Quote from: Rossfan on September 24, 2017, 02:56:22 PM
How long have the GAA been charging people  to see games?

club games? county games? wat u on about?

seafoid

It reminds me of an Alexei Sayle joke. Everything would have been fine if Hitler had invaded the Soviet Union for charity.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU