Cork fans flying the confederate flag

Started by Eamonnca1, August 14, 2017, 06:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

One thing you can be nearly 100% sure of is that any Cork fan with a confederate flag is not a racist. It's never been a sign of solidarity with American racists. In saying that, I think they should probably get rid of it as the world is a much smaller place and Ireland is more culturally diverse.

sid waddell

Quote from: trileacman on August 15, 2017, 09:35:46 PM
Quote from: Itchy on August 15, 2017, 09:30:45 PM
There are plenty of other red and white flags in the world the stupid langers can wave. Leave the one with rascist history at home.

Where's the line though? The flag of the rising sun is red and white but are then codoning the atrocities of imperial Japan? Any man that's fit to tell me that the confederate flag is offensive then what about the flag of the rising sun?
It's very simple.

The flag of the rising sun does not represent imperial atrocities. It represents the nation of Japan, which is a very well regarded member of the international community of nations.

The confederate flag represented a shortlived, long defunct entity which was founded specifically to uphold slavery, and continues to be used by racist white supremacists as a symbol of their poisonous, backward ideology.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: thefont on August 15, 2017, 10:42:34 AM
This one isn't too hard lads surely? Times change - move with the times.

I've lived in America and would consider myself fairly informed on the nature of racial tensions there but being honest I never would have connected the confederate flag being flown at sports games with white supremacism - but now I do.

It was a bit of craic and no offense was/is intended but now it's over. It's no major blow to the ego to admit you were a bit ignorant about something when you come to know better finally.

To the 'pc gone mad' crowd, I think a look in the mirror is warranted.  What about the rangers fans flying orange order flags and the like at matches. Sure it's only a bit of craic, as it the Orange order itself. A nice day out and a bit of music, it's been going for hundreds of years and the world hasn't ended.

Hear hear.

Eamonnca1

Arguments in favor of the flag seem to fall into the following categories:

1 - "It's only a bit of crack."
Rebuttal - That's what the Orangemen say.

2 - "Bloody PC brigade going out of their way to be offended."
Rebuttal - See my other thread. Attitudes that were once considered acceptable are no longer considered acceptable, and rightly bloody so. It wasn't so long ago that even people close to me would refer to black people as "darkies." You can't say that anymore, which is no bad thing. The Irish are always quick to take umbrage when people talk sh*t about us in derogatory terms, but we seem to be okay with dishing out the same kind of abuse to other ethnic groups. Some people need to take a long hard look at themselves.

3 - "It's not the actual confederate flag."
Rebuttal - You can split hairs all you like. We all know what the flag represents.

4 - "It just represents the word 'rebel' as in 'the rebel county.' No harm done."
Rebuttal - Cop yourself on. There are plenty of ways you could support your county without raising a banner that's inextricably linked to one of the most vile, evil, and hateful institutions or attitudes ever to exist. The southern confederacy made Apartheid South Africa look as advanced as Norway. That Irish people in this day and age would go out in public and openly display such a small-minded piece of evil symbolism is beneath contempt.

5 - What about the flag of Imperial Japan?
Rebuttal - We're not talking about the flag of Imperial Japan. We're talking about the confederate flag. The Stars and Bars. The symbol of white supremacy and the subjugation of human beings as if they were white men's property based on the colour of their skin. We're talking about a flag that came about because some people were so determined to preserve the evil institution of slavery that they were willing to go to war over it and kill their fellow Americans. We're talking about a flag of treason and racism that does a dis-service to the actual rebels from Cork who fought a just war of liberation against an oppressive foreign power. The actual rebels from Cork would be a bit horrified if they thought that the memory of their fight for Irish freedom from British domination would be associated with the fight to retain the right to hold slaves. Dear God!

Put that white trash flag in the bin where it belongs and wise up, you ignorant pack of petulant gobsh*tes.

larryin89

Such a pain in the whole listening to all the whinging these days. I think people in.general are getting fed up with it all. We are nearly told how to.act,.what to say and not say ,just fook.off already and.myob if ya dont like something . Tis the same in scotland now at Celtic games,.you cant sing this ,.you cant sing that ,.fookoff too and u p de ra.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

sid waddell

Quote from: larryin89 on August 16, 2017, 12:16:19 AM
Such a pain in the whole listening to all the whinging these days. I think people in.general are getting fed up with it all. We are nearly told how to.act,.what to say and not say ,just fook.off already and.myob if ya dont like something . Tis the same in scotland now at Celtic games,.you cant sing this ,.you cant sing that ,.fookoff too and u p de ra.
Yes, such a pain in the hole to be told not to fly a living, breathing symbol of racism.

Such oppression.

armaghniac

The meaning of this flag has not changed since 1865. The idea that it is more unacceptable today than last year is nonsense.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

stew

Quote from: sid waddell on August 16, 2017, 12:23:13 AM
Yes, such a pain in the hole to be told not to fly a living, breathing symbol of racism.

Such oppression.

Siddles,  the confederate flag is not used in this country to promote racism, perpetuate racism or further any right wing cause, I have an idea, why don't you build Irelands first safe space and crawl up in there and thinkore ways to be offended! K?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

sid waddell

Quote from: stew on August 16, 2017, 12:42:01 AM
Quote from: sid waddell on August 16, 2017, 12:23:13 AM

Such oppression.

Siddles,  the confederate flag is not used in this country to promote racism, perpetuate racism or further any right wing cause, I have an idea, why don't you build Irelands first safe space and crawl up in there and thinkore ways to be offended! K?
Of course it isn't.

Just like the swastika isn't used to perpetuate anti-semitism.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Zulu on August 15, 2017, 10:57:40 PM
One thing you can be nearly 100% sure of is that any Cork fan with a confederate flag is not a racist. It's never been a sign of solidarity with American racists. In saying that, I think they should probably get rid of it as the world is a much smaller place and Ireland is more culturally diverse.
+1
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Eamonnca1

Play me the world's smallest violin. If you can't be told to put down a racist flag then you've got no business whining about anything.

Eamonnca1

Neither is the Nazi flag. Okay to fly it?

whitey

I hope the Sligo supporters don't start waving Isis flags any time soon

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 16, 2017, 01:12:28 AM

Neither is the Nazi flag. Okay to fly it?

It would suit Down.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

Quote from: armaghniac on August 16, 2017, 12:34:36 AM
The meaning of this flag has not changed since 1865. The idea that it is more unacceptable today than last year is nonsense.

I agree with this.. its nonsense that we need to move with the times, what are these times? Who sets these times, why do we need to move for them, just because...because...somebody says we need to move with the times it seems.

I used to be uncomfortable with them flying it, then I got used it and sort of understand why they were flying it, now am I supposed to be uncomfortable again because of a small minority of eejits in America have taken upon themselves to use it to promote  their pathetic cause?

The whole thing reminds me of the Brits "reclaiming" their flag after facists took it over in the 80s. Apparently people were afraid to fly it because  of the association with the National Front etc. Then they "reclaimed" or whatever and now you see the f**king thing stuck everywhere. Thing is to me its the Butchers Apron end of, I instinctively get offended (not to mention all the slavery, attrocides and genocide that were committed in its name) when I see it but I get over it mainly because it means something to decent people like my neighbours at home and actually doesn't cause me any harm at the end of the day.