Best referee in Ireland?

Started by yellowcard, August 31, 2015, 12:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I could've reffed it. If players behave any ref should manage a game at this stage.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Croí na hÉireann

Kinsella very good apart from the black card, should have been two yellows. Or if he was interpreting that as a deliberate body collide it should have been two blacks.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

He did very well. We're quick to jump on them when they don't. But as lads have said, it's a lot easier to ref a game when the players play it in the right spirit. So instead of just blaming refs all the time, maybe we need to have a look at the way we are sending out our teams?

AS for the black card, I can see why he gave it. He indicated to O'Shea that he had pulled the lad to the ground, so the linesman obviously told him he grabbed him and dragged him to the ground. I thought it was a yellow myself, but it was undeniably stupid and it wasn't outrageous. If the linesman said, he caught him and dragged him onto the ground, then Kinsella had to give a black.

nrico2006

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 07, 2015, 10:46:41 AM
He did very well. We're quick to jump on them when they don't. But as lads have said, it's a lot easier to ref a game when the players play it in the right spirit. So instead of just blaming refs all the time, maybe we need to have a look at the way we are sending out our teams?

AS for the black card, I can see why he gave it. He indicated to O'Shea that he had pulled the lad to the ground, so the linesman obviously told him he grabbed him and dragged him to the ground. I thought it was a yellow myself, but it was undeniably stupid and it wasn't outrageous. If the linesman said, he caught him and dragged him onto the ground, then Kinsella had to give a black.

Yep, I assume he went on the linesmans word and it wasn't therefore directly his call.  It was never a 'pull down' though and as mentioned, if it was then common sense should prevail as it was an off-the-ball incident and the black card and pull down issue is meant for incidents in and around the ball.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 07, 2015, 10:53:17 AM

Yep, I assume he went on the linesmans word and it wasn't therefore directly his call.  It was never a 'pull down' though and as mentioned, if it was then common sense should prevail as it was an off-the-ball incident and the black card and pull down issue is meant for incidents in and around the ball.

Agreed. Good points about it being the linesman's call, back to a very good game for Mr. Kinsella.

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: nrico2006 on September 07, 2015, 10:53:17 AM

There is nothing in the rules to say, it is do with having the ball. That has nothing to do with a black card.

magpie seanie

I remember lip reading the linesman at the time and I knew it would be a black card. It should have been a black card anyway, he pulled him down. So stupid.

Kinsella did reasonably well but it was an easy game to ref. Plus the way it went the final score was never in doubt.

Will Marty get the final? Hasn't many years left. The Tyrone/Monaghan game might have been his Waterloo.

AZOffaly

You're a hard man to please Seanie :) I thought he did very well, and if you agree with the black card, then he basically got everything important correct.

Hound

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 07, 2015, 02:55:58 PM
You're a hard man to please Seanie :) I thought he did very well, and if you agree with the black card, then he basically got everything important correct.
He made a bizarre decision at the start. Dubs were 1 point to Nil up and were awarded a free right in the middle of the field. Dubs went to take it, but Doherty blocked the quick one. Kinsella turned around and said throw ball!
Love to know what his rationale was, and was very worried about him then. But have to admit he was very good after that - reasonably consistent for both teams - perhaps allowed defenders get away with tackling forwards with contact (rightly), but when a forward touched a defender it was a very quick free (but same at both ends of the pitch which is all you can ask).

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 07, 2015, 02:52:30 PM
I remember lip reading the linesman at the time and I knew it would be a black card. It should have been a black card anyway, he pulled him down. So stupid.

Kinsella did reasonably well but it was an easy game to ref. Plus the way it went the final score was never in doubt.

Will Marty get the final? Hasn't many years left. The Tyrone/Monaghan game might have been his Waterloo.

Look this is a stupid statement... The players made an easy game to referee....the referee sets the tone by being up to speed with the players talking to them and catching the majority of the fouls... Players aren't stupid they quickly adopt to a referees style and know their boundaries...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 08, 2015, 09:19:37 AM

Look this is a stupid statement... The players made an easy game to referee....the referee sets the tone by being up to speed with the players talking to them and catching the majority of the fouls... Players aren't stupid they quickly adopt to a referees style and know their boundaries...

Why did you pull me alone? Several people said it was an easy game to ref.

I disagree that Eddie Kinsella had much to do with him "setting the tone" - I just think after the last day everyone was on their best behaviour.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 08, 2015, 09:35:56 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 08, 2015, 09:19:37 AM

Why did you pull me alone? Several people said it was an easy game to ref.

I disagree that Eddie Kinsella had much to do with him "setting the tone" - I just think after the last day everyone was on their best behaviour.

Nothing with you personally but it was the nearest to next post... I believe (as I'm a referee) the referee can very quickly set the tone for the game, can be a word with a player or manager before the game stating what he will accept and wont, giving the players a idea of what to expect, any manager worth his salt will know how a referee plays the game and his players should also act accordingly , especially at that level, no stone and all that malarkey...

And when he blows for the first couple of fouls players see what they can 'get away with' or not. bar the few indiscretions of the following week I didn't see it as a dirty game so being on their best behaviour for the next day (for me) doesn't come into it, it's an All Ireland semi final, one shot to get to play in a final, you'll go hell for leather from get go, like they did... Anyway I'm in agreement that Eddie did really well but unlike you I think it has a lot more to do with the referee (as to why he did well) as to the players allowing him to officiate well... agree to disagree on that ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Croí na hÉireann

David Coldrick gets the senior AI and David Gough the minor. Good choices.

Jinxy

Cormac Reilly must be senior linesman.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 08, 2015, 04:13:00 PM
David Coldrick gets the senior AI and David Gough the minor. Good choices.
Agreed. Two of the best referees this year.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore