MPs unite to fight law that will make abortions available in Northern Ireland

Started by Maguire01, July 24, 2008, 10:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the abortion act be extended to Northern Ireland?

Yes
47 (44.8%)
No
58 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 105

HiMucker

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on October 23, 2019, 08:00:05 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on October 23, 2019, 07:39:21 PM
Want to elaborate on what was wrong with what I said?

If you hope there is nobody using it as a form of contraception you are deluded.
The information is out there. Mike Tyson already posted it
"97.7% of abortions in England & Wales were performed under ground C - the pregnancy has not exceeded its twenty-fourth week and that the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated, of injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman."

HiMucker

Quote from: BennyCake on October 23, 2019, 08:15:01 PM
Of course there's some who use abortion as a means of contraception. 200,000 in uk annually, they're not all rape, incest cases. You're naive if you think otherwise.
Again
"97.7% of abortions in England & Wales were performed under ground C - the pregnancy has not exceeded its twenty-fourth week and that the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated, of injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman."

Angelo

Quote from: HiMucker on October 24, 2019, 08:23:17 AM
Of course there's some who use abortion as a means of contraception. 200,000 in uk annually, they're not all rape, incest cases. You're naive if you think otherwise.
Again

The mental health one is a nice card to play.

We know how babies are made, we all know the consequences of the action behind them, 3 months later down the line if something has happened then it's time to face up and deal with consequences of your actions. It's a shame that your life may now be different and it's not just you anymore but that's a direct result of the actions you have taken.

I'd liken it to drink driving, there's a possibility something will go wrong when you sit into that car under the influence but if you do it then it's a decision you can't go back on and you should face the consequences.

There will be many women who have an abortion and will regret it later on in their lives, it will probably lead to mental health issues with them. It's interesting that those in favour of abortion yield out these statistics but only look at them through one lens.

Ultimately the decision to terminate a pregnancy of a perfectly healthy baby, created by your own conscious decisions and actions is the most selfish thing you could ever contemplate doing.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on October 24, 2019, 09:10:58 AM
Again

We know how babies are made, we all know the consequences of the action behind them, 3 months later down the line if something has happened then it's time to face up and deal with consequences of your actions. It's a shame that your life may now be different and it's not just you anymore but that's a direct result of the actions you have taken.

I'd liken it to drink driving, there's a possibility something will go wrong when you sit into that car under the influence but if you do it then it's a decision you can't go back on and you should face the consequences.

There will be many women who have an abortion and will regret it later on in their lives, it will probably lead to mental health issues with them. It's interesting that those in favour of abortion yield out these statistics but only look at them through one lens.

Ultimately the decision to terminate a pregnancy of a perfectly healthy baby, created by your own conscious decisions and actions is the most selfish thing you could ever contemplate doing.

I could think more selfish things you could ever so...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Angelo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 24, 2019, 09:14:46 AM
Again

Than terminating the life they created through their own decisions and actions because it might cramp their lifestyle?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Angelo on October 24, 2019, 09:15:50 AM
Again

Than terminating the life they created through their own decisions and actions because it might cramp their lifestyle?

So its all about their lifestyle is the reason abortions happen? And the actions of a peado and sticking 39 people in a container stick to my mind
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

HiMucker

Again

Right so your happy to accept the stats and figures when they fit your argument but question them when they don't? Ive stayed well clear of this argument for the most because its dominated by loonies on both sides calling the other murderers and what else. My views would be fairly similar to Tonto and other posters. I myself would view abortion as an absolute last resort if  the risk of a full term pregnancy was that high. However it must be an absolutely horrendous decision for anyone to have to make, and I wouldnt want to judge them for it, or take that choice away for a large section of society. Lets remember that abortion is already available for those who can afford to go to England. Why should people that cant be treated any differently?

t_mac

Again

Likening drink driving to sexual intercourse is astonishing,  but you have form for firing out unsubstantiated, non evidence based accusations.  It's astounding hearing a male, a completely prejudice male based on previous comments on here telling a young girl to face up to her consequences when a man could have had a one night stand and walked away without a by your leave.  It is astonishing also that you categorise each and every unplanned pregnancy the same, each woman / girl will have their own circumstances and telling them they are like drink drivers and face up to the consequences of getting pregnant from a man is unreal. 

HiMucker

Quote from: Angelo on October 24, 2019, 09:15:50 AM
Again

There you go again, boiling it down to a fairly simplistic level. Would having abortion because having a baby would cramp their lifestyle be selfish thing to do? Absolutely. Does this happen. Yeah, I would say there is a few cases like that Im sure. However I would imagine that the vast vast majority of cases involve an extremely difficult, complex and agonizing decision for the individuals. Tell me have you ever spoken to someone who has had an abortion? Or someone who wish they had that option available? I have, and it is as far from what you have made it out to above as possible.

Emmett

I have been following this thread with interest and now feel the need to comment.

A few years back we fell pregnant for the first (and only) time. We thought everything was going well until we found out that continuing with the pregnancy would mean that my Wife's life would be at serious risk and our baby would be severely disabled and unlikely to survive to his second birthday – this was at 20 weeks. After a lot of thought and consultation we made the decision to abort.

Not a day goes by that we do feel sadness about what happened. The events will haunt us for the rest of our lives. If we are fortunate enough to fall pregnant again and have a healthy baby it may lessen the pain, I can only hope. However, do we regret the choice we made? Most definitely not. It was the right decision for us and we believe it was the right decision for our baby. It just did not make any sense to risk the life of my wife for a baby (albeit completely innocent) who would have an extremely short life with zero quality.

Having gone through what we did I really do not think that any woman (or couple) would take the decision to abort lightly. It is an extremely difficult thing to do, from the initial consultations to the build up to the day and then the aftermath.

Let's face it, the vast majority of users on this Forum are male. I feel that we can have an opinion on this very emotive matter but we cannot and should not judge any woman who makes the decision to end a pregnancy early. Ultimately it is their body and their choice. We need to trust women and have more faith in people. Society is not full of monsters. I am not saying that a woman has never made the choice to abort purely for selfish reasons but this would be very very rare and that person would have to live with that decision. In fact, I feel that the whole experience would scare off most of these types of women from actually going through with the abortion.

This is obviously a very delicate subject but there have been a lot of self-righteous and sanctimonious views expressed over the past few days. Religion can cloud judgements and I imagine that has happened in some cases.  However, I would be fairly confident that the people in question have never had the misfortune of having to make such a life changing decision - I really hope they never are in that position but if that day comes then perhaps they would be less judgemental.

HiMucker

An extremely brave, informative and much needed post. Fair play to you Emmett and best of luck to yous in the future.

Taylor

Cant have been easy to post that up Emmett.
Best of luck to yourselves

Dire Ear

five points

Sorry to hear of your experience Emmett.

No pro-life person, religious or otherwise, objects to abortion in any case where there is a risk to the life of the mother.

tonto1888

Quote from: Emmett on October 24, 2019, 10:17:02 AM
I have been following this thread with interest and now feel the need to comment.

A few years back we fell pregnant for the first (and only) time. We thought everything was going well until we found out that continuing with the pregnancy would mean that my Wife's life would be at serious risk and our baby would be severely disabled and unlikely to survive to his second birthday – this was at 20 weeks. After a lot of thought and consultation we made the decision to abort.

Not a day goes by that we do feel sadness about what happened. The events will haunt us for the rest of our lives. If we are fortunate enough to fall pregnant again and have a healthy baby it may lessen the pain, I can only hope. However, do we regret the choice we made? Most definitely not. It was the right decision for us and we believe it was the right decision for our baby. It just did not make any sense to risk the life of my wife for a baby (albeit completely innocent) who would have an extremely short life with zero quality.

Having gone through what we did I really do not think that any woman (or couple) would take the decision to abort lightly. It is an extremely difficult thing to do, from the initial consultations to the build up to the day and then the aftermath.

Let's face it, the vast majority of users on this Forum are male. I feel that we can have an opinion on this very emotive matter but we cannot and should not judge any woman who makes the decision to end a pregnancy early. Ultimately it is their body and their choice. We need to trust women and have more faith in people. Society is not full of monsters. I am not saying that a woman has never made the choice to abort purely for selfish reasons but this would be very very rare and that person would have to live with that decision. In fact, I feel that the whole experience would scare off most of these types of women from actually going through with the abortion.

This is obviously a very delicate subject but there have been a lot of self-righteous and sanctimonious views expressed over the past few days. Religion can cloud judgements and I imagine that has happened in some cases.  However, I would be fairly confident that the people in question have never had the misfortune of having to make such a life changing decision - I really hope they never are in that position but if that day comes then perhaps they would be less judgemental.

Sorry to hear of your experiences and hopefully you and your wife will be able to have a baby in future.