Started by Seany, July 11, 2018, 08:57:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halfquarter

Quote from: iorras on September 20, 2018, 10:29:34 AM
Quote from: Halfquarter on September 20, 2018, 09:41:38 AM
Quote from: iorras on September 20, 2018, 09:28:37 AM
Quote from: Halfquarter on September 20, 2018, 09:05:54 AM
Quote from: trileacman on September 20, 2018, 12:11:04 AM
The players clearly started the public mud slinging in this affair and should shoulder more of the blame. If they wanted to say to Leahy in private that it was an unsafe environment they could have. In a public statement though it should been stated that there was a difference of opinion or dissatisfaction with his management style.

To state it was due to an "unsafe environment" that insinuates a serious offence when it comes to a male manager presiding over female players is a disgusting course of action. It was an deliberate attempt to publicly subvert confidence in Leahy.

If you go back through the thread you will find that that hoary old chestnut has been recycled to death.
Ultimately,its time to find another stick to beat them with.
"Hoary old chestnut", that's the crux of the argument you clown. Character assassination in public forums with nothing to back it up. The rest of it is noise at this stage

You made a fool of yourself here yesterday as well,keep it up.
that really hurt my feelings, I'm now concerned for my welfare and mental health. I think you have created an unsafe environment here halfquarter, I need to leave. Let me get Ger Gilroy, Sinead Kissane and the rest of the right on gang into a presser till I announce this.

Not before you contact the much revered 'Liaison Officer', I hope.

iorras

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 20, 2018, 11:08:01 AM
Quote from: iorras on September 20, 2018, 10:29:34 AM
Quote from: Halfquarter on September 20, 2018, 09:41:38 AM
Quote from: iorras on September 20, 2018, 09:28:37 AM
Quote from: Halfquarter on September 20, 2018, 09:05:54 AM
Quote from: trileacman on September 20, 2018, 12:11:04 AM
The players clearly started the public mud slinging in this affair and should shoulder more of the blame. If they wanted to say to Leahy in private that it was an unsafe environment they could have. In a public statement though it should been stated that there was a difference of opinion or dissatisfaction with his management style.

To state it was due to an "unsafe environment" that insinuates a serious offence when it comes to a male manager presiding over female players is a disgusting course of action. It was an deliberate attempt to publicly subvert confidence in Leahy.

If you go back through the thread you will find that that hoary old chestnut has been recycled to death.
Ultimately,its time to find another stick to beat them with.
"Hoary old chestnut", that's the crux of the argument you clown. Character assassination in public forums with nothing to back it up. The rest of it is noise at this stage

You made a fool of yourself here yesterday as well,keep it up.
that really hurt my feelings, I'm now concerned for my welfare and mental health. I think you have created an unsafe environment here halfquarter, I need to leave. Let me get Ger Gilroy, Sinead Kissane and the rest of the right on gang into a presser till I announce this.

Not before you contact the much revered 'Liaison Officer', I hope.
;D She didn't return my calls for some reason

Syferus

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on September 20, 2018, 02:29:58 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/ladies-football/ewan-mackenna-women-in-sport-have-been-fighting-hard-for-parity-clearly-on-this-occasion-it-didnt-suit-some-37334309.html

Is Jinxy Ewan MacKenna?

Mostly agree but the derisive reference to 'crusades' does an incredible injustice to the countless cases in recent years where such efforts were full justified, situations where society would have swept things under the rug as always had it been in the past.

I'd also argue the Cora/Tierney group have been met with a very, very muted response both in the LGFA and in the media in general, published or social. It flies in the face of the idea he puts out there of an overreaction.

dublin7

Quote from: Syferus on September 20, 2018, 02:43:34 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/ladies-football/ewan-mackenna-women-in-sport-have-been-fighting-hard-for-parity-clearly-on-this-occasion-it-didnt-suit-some-37334309.html

Is Jinxy Ewan MacKenna?

Mostly agree but the derisive reference to 'crusades' does an incredible injustice to the countless cases in recent years where such efforts were full justified, situations where society would have swept things under the rug as always had it been in the past.

I'd also argue the Cora/Tierney group have been met with a very, very muted response both in the LGFA and in the media in general, published or social. It flies in the face of the idea he puts out there of an overreaction.

Maybe I'm being cynical but the only pieces I've read that were in support of the girls were written by Jaqui Hurley on rte website, Sinead Kissane in the independent and Mary Hanningan in today's Irish Times.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: dublin7 on September 20, 2018, 03:21:06 PM

Is Jinxy Ewan MacKenna?

Maybe I'm being cynical but the only pieces I've read that were in support of the girls were written by Jaqui Hurley on rte website, Sinead Kissane in the independent and Mary Hanningan in today's Irish Times.
Isn't it convenient that they then were apparently the only journos in attendance at their press conference the other night?

iorras

I think there is a very blinkered view on situations like this from some women. While there is no doubt there is an issue with gender imbalance, sexism and misogamism in some organizations and walks of life its not everywhere and shouldn't be presumed to be the root cause of stated problems just because the protagonists are of different sexes and the boss is a man . Some of those journalists are normally quiet balanced but reported on this as a crusade with only one side to it rather than a story that required research.
There were similar comments on twitter, I know, not exactly a good barometer of sanity, but they were all in the vein of "men bad" "women good" irrespective of what the facts might be showing. That's a dangerous road to be going down.

Syferus

Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 20, 2018, 03:38:08 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 20, 2018, 03:21:06 PM

Is Jinxy Ewan MacKenna?

Isn't it convenient that they then were apparently the only journos in attendance at their press conference the other night?

Jaqui Hurley's report was essentially a by-the-blows account of what was said at that press conference so I'd caution that it may be posters own biases showing on this one rather than her's. In general she's an excellent host and reporter, by the way.

And by the same token Kissane's writing has rarely been alarmist either, usually making more sensible points than most columnists.

Just because the Carnacon axis tried to stack the deck by only inviting those two journalists it shouldn't reflect negatively on them. They were just covering a story.

Jinxy

The reporting on this has been pretty measured in general.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Jinxy on September 20, 2018, 05:18:39 PM

The media are afraid to side with the wrong party and understandably so. Every commentary has been vague its explanation of the situation and what happened.

Cora has been doing the mé féin gig (with no real return) on the playing field for up to 8 years now and damaging player after player who stand beside her in the forwards. Yet there has been little or no media commentary on this. So I don't see why anyone would be surprised by no off field antics being commented by the media either.

rosnarun

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 20, 2018, 06:45:48 PM

The media are afraid to side with the wrong party and understandably so. Every commentary has been vague its explanation of the situation and what happened.

Cora has been doing the mé féin gig (with no real return) on the playing field for up to 8 years now and damaging player after player who stand beside her in the forwards. Yet there has been little or no media commentary on this. So I don't see why anyone would be surprised by no off field antics being commented by the media either.
who has she damaged and how.
debate the row on its own merits and don't go bring in old pedjudices that are irelevant
next thing people will be saying 'she wasn't all that good anyway'
its becomomg clearer that Cora is only part of the story and other Carnacon leading lights are throwing back their own shoulders .
but it s rumors have it that it was things the manager said in response that were the straw  that broke the camels back.. these are the deeply personal thing the players keep referring to but never state.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Halfquarter

Quote from: rosnarun on September 21, 2018, 11:21:55 AM

debate the row on its own merits and don't go bring in old pedjudices that are irelevant
its becomomg clearer that Cora is only part of the story and other Carnacon leading lights are throwing back their own shoulders .
but it s rumors have it that it was things the manager said in response that were the straw  that broke the camels back.. these are the deeply personal thing the players keep referring to but never state.

I think she was also responsible for shooting Bambi.

spuds

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 21, 2018, 11:40:23 AM

Sure isn't she the only one allowed to shoot?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Halfquarter

Quote from: spuds on September 21, 2018, 12:01:00 PM
Quote from: Halfquarter on September 21, 2018, 11:40:23 AM

Sure isn't she the only one allowed to shoot?

touché

macdanger2

Carnacon appealing the suspensions and fine