Portrush gets the Open

Started by stew, October 21, 2015, 12:54:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Kidder81 on July 21, 2019, 07:03:00 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 21, 2019, 06:25:27 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 21, 2019, 06:23:17 PM
Class. Is he the first Irishman since Harrington to win the Open?

;D ;D

I'm sure Rory won it 2016  :P

No major for Rory since 2014

Well the last Irish player to win was in Liverpool I think, not sure of the year. But it was after Paddy's win
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Orior on July 21, 2019, 06:55:51 PM
From Tony Fearon...

QuoteWith Shane Lowry about to win the British Open Golf title, great to see his father Brendan, an All Ireland Gaelic Football winner with Offaly in 1982, featuring in today's match programme at Croke Park.

Here's another little quirky fact.

Armagh played Offaly in the league in Lurgan in 1982. In the Armagh side was Mickey McDonald, uncle of Rory Mc Ilroy and in the Offaly side was Brendan Lowry father of 2019 Open Champion Shane Lowry. Little did they know!

I miss Tony

Oraisteach

Where's Fearon when you need him! What was the score of that Armagh vs Offaly match?

balladmaker

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 21, 2019, 07:56:06 PM
Where's Fearon when you need him! What was the score of that Armagh vs Offaly match?

Have a feeling Armagh won it, was the same season Down beat Armagh in the NFL Final.

gallsman

Quote from: JimStynes on July 21, 2019, 07:13:52 PM
Quote from: Orior on July 21, 2019, 06:55:51 PM
From Tony Fearon...

QuoteWith Shane Lowry about to win the British Open Golf title, great to see his father Brendan, an All Ireland Gaelic Football winner with Offaly in 1982, featuring in today's match programme at Croke Park.

Here's another little quirky fact.

Armagh played Offaly in the league in Lurgan in 1982. In the Armagh side was Mickey McDonald, uncle of Rory Mc Ilroy and in the Offaly side was Brendan Lowry father of 2019 Open Champion Shane Lowry. Little did they know!

I miss Tony

You'd be the only one. His own mother wouldn't.

Brilliant stuff from Lowry. Think they said of the top 20 on the leaderboard at the start of the day, only Final shooting par went better than him.

LCohen

Quote from: Kidder81 on July 21, 2019, 06:53:12 PM
Great performance from a true Irishman that isn't afraid to embrace his Irishness

We have watched Padraig, Graeme, Rory, Darren and now Shane win majors. I would argue all have embraced their Irishness. Some have had to deal with other people trying to foist their version of Irishness on them. Not everyone's version of irishness is the same. Ask anyone from a "mixed marriage " ( terrible phrase but it conveys my meaning) in Northern Ireland.

Anyway deal with it or be a Tebbitesque knob. Not a difficult choice for most

gawa316

10 of the last 50 major winners coming from Ireland...not too shabby that

Milltown Row2

Let's talk about golf? Feck that, let's talk about who's more Irish? What a p***k
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Quote from: LCohen on July 21, 2019, 09:10:47 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on July 21, 2019, 06:53:12 PM
Great performance from a true Irishman that isn't afraid to embrace his Irishness

We have watched Padraig, Graeme, Rory, Darren and now Shane win majors. I would argue all have embraced their Irishness. Some have had to deal with other people trying to foist their version of Irishness on them. Not everyone's version of irishness is the same. Ask anyone from a "mixed marriage " ( terrible phrase but it conveys my meaning) in Northern Ireland.

Anyway deal with it or be a Tebbitesque knob. Not a difficult choice for most

Bigger question - who will be our next Major winner?

• Paul Dunne
  • Gavin Moynihan
  • Robin Dawson
  • Sugre
  • Michael Hoey
  • Cormac Sharvin
  • Seamus Power
  • Tom McKibbin
  • Someone else?

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

LCohen

Quote from: gawa316 on July 21, 2019, 09:19:42 PM
10 of the last 50 major winners coming forms Ireland...not too shabby that

A simply staggering statistic. Let's just celebrate. What could be more Irish??

6th sam

Quote from: LCohen on July 21, 2019, 09:24:17 PM

What an achievement, world class sportsman in arguably the best individual sports in the world . We're punching above our weight again

gawa316

Tis right...don't give a toss about religion or what part of the island they were born...all Irish to me

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: gawa316 on July 21, 2019, 10:12:27 PM

Tis right...don't give a toss about religion or what part of the island they were born...all Irish to me

+1
I also noticed that when it is an international affair, the majority of comments and commentary refer to Ireland, Irish players or on Irish soil.
Looking at the stats, it is obvious that golf is the no. 1 sport we excel at globally.
Maybe boxing gives it a close run, but 10 world champions in the last 50 events is outstanding.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

BarryBreensBandage

Well done to Lowry, always a pleasure watching wins like these
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".