The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread

Started by Rufus T Firefly, January 25, 2007, 08:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on November 12, 2015, 06:17:43 PM
Rumours appear to be growing that a takeover is imminent, with local business man Steve Parkin seeking to buy Cellino's majority shareholding. Talk already that David Moyes would be his chosen candidate as manager if he is successful.

I'm beginning to feel all nervy again as a semblance of good news is once again being associated with the Club.  :-\

I'm not a Leeds fan but having lived in the city for a long time I have a soft spot for them and I actually think the fans have been a bit harsh on Cellino. He is plainly a lunatic but I think once again Leeds fans are dreaming of the perfect owner who will sweep in and solve all their problems. Cellino was funding the club before he even took over and kept the club out of certain administration. He has managed to reign in the £1m it was haemorrhaging every month and he has renegotiated a £25m loan so that interest is only paid if and when they get promoted. Also, he held on to young talent like Mowatt, Cook and Taylor when previous regimes sold the likes of Delph, Howson, Lennon etc for pennies and at least he gave Rosler a bit of money to spend last summer. His management appointments have been a bit mental (but, bar Redfearn, was anyone really sad to see any of them go?) but it's strange that the Football League have banned him for unpaid tax in another country and deem him unfit to run the club when they idly sat by and watched Risdale, GFH and Bates run the club into the ground. The idea of selling to LFU had disaster written all over it and Cellino was correct to reject their offer. Maybe this new takeover is the perfect owner Leeds fans have been yearning for but I suspect it might not be.
That was never a square ball!!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: BennyHarp on November 12, 2015, 08:48:41 PM
I actually think the fans have been a bit harsh on Cellino.

Credit where credit is due - the Club is in a much better financial footing under him than it has been in quite some time. I would imagine the price of any takeover will reflect that.

His management appointments have been a bit mental (but, bar Redfearn, was anyone really sad to see any of them go?)

I would add McDermott to Redfearn and having given Rosler some financial backing in the Summer it was surely incumbent on him to back his man for longer than the time given.

He wasn't known as the manager eater for nothing and the rate at which he hires and fires managers does not - indeed cannot - provide the stability that Leeds so desperately need.

Indeed to add to that, his business 'practices' in Italy are coming under sharp focus and has created its own instability at the top of the business.

Billys Boots

Rumours appear to be growing that a takeover is imminent, with local business man Steve Parkin seeking to buy Cellino's majority shareholding. Talk already that David Moyes would be his chosen candidate as manager if he is successful.

I'm beginning to feel all nervy again as a semblance of good news is once again being associated with the Club.  :-\

I'm not a Leeds fan but having lived in the city for a long time I have a soft spot for them and I actually think the fans have been a bit harsh on Cellino. He is plainly a lunatic but I think once again Leeds fans are dreaming of the perfect owner who will sweep in and solve all their problems. Cellino was funding the club before he even took over and kept the club out of certain administration. He has managed to reign in the £1m it was haemorrhaging every month and he has renegotiated a £25m loan so that interest is only paid if and when they get promoted. Also, he held on to young talent like Mowatt, Cook and Taylor when previous regimes sold the likes of Delph, Howson, Lennon etc for pennies and at least he gave Rosler a bit of money to spend last summer. His management appointments have been a bit mental (but, bar Redfearn, was anyone really sad to see any of them go?) but it's strange that the Football League have banned him for unpaid tax in another country and deem him unfit to run the club when they idly sat by and watched Risdale, GFH and Bates run the club into the ground. The idea of selling to LFU had disaster written all over it and Cellino was correct to reject their offer. Maybe this new takeover is the perfect owner Leeds fans have been yearning for but I suspect it might not be.

Hard to argue with any of that Benny.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

BennyHarp

Quote from: Billys Boots on November 14, 2015, 01:19:38 PM

Hard to argue with any of that Benny.

Actually, it looks like Cellino has completely lost the plot now....
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/35191715
That was never a square ball!!

Denn Forever

Death of Gary Seake, goalkeeper during the 60s and 70s.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Mourne Rover

Today's win means that Leeds have taken 28 points from the last 36, probably our best sustained run since they were top of the Premiership this week 15 years ago. It has been a long hard road since then, but the club is finally in decent shape and looking a good bet for the play-offs at least. Monk has done an outstanding job on a much lower budget than some of the other big clubs in the division, and he deserves backing in the transfer window to keep Leeds in contention for a promotion push which few were seriously expecting.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Mourne Rover on January 02, 2017, 08:36:51 PM
Today's win means that Leeds have taken 28 points from the last 36, probably our best sustained run since they were top of the Premiership this week 15 years ago. It has been a long hard road since then, but the club is finally in decent shape and looking a good bet for the play-offs at least. Monk has done an outstanding job on a much lower budget than some of the other big clubs in the division, and he deserves backing in the transfer window to keep Leeds in contention for a promotion push which few were seriously expecting.

Probably should have been 30 from 36. I thought they were exceptional away to Villa and were unlucky with two efforts that hit the woodwork, and conceded a goal from a needless penalty. Steve Bruce in his post match interview stated that was the best Leeds team he had seen in years. Don't forget that this is under an excellent young manager who was under threat of the sack back in September, which underlines how fragile things can be with Cellino in command.

For all the positives of the Villa performance, there are definitely areas where we could and should strengthen in the transfer window - we need more firepower up front - Wood is too hit and miss for me to be a number one striker. However making Pontus Jansson's move permanent has to be the immediate priority. 

It will be interesting to see how this new investment impacts on the field, and if more money will be available. Cellino will have to take a back seat from next month, so I wonder is this investment him considering an exit strategy?

Things are really looking positive, which for a Leeds' supporter is a worry in itself. Any time I've seen Brighton this year, they have looked impressive, and I'd expect Newcastle to invest in their squad to ensure promotion. It could be that we end up in the play offs (which I'd take) but of course is a mine-field in itself.

Anyway, reasons to be cheerful!!   :)

Billys Boots

Rufus, I was talking to a demolition contractor recently who gave me a load of pictures of the removal of the old floodlights from Elland Rd in the early 1990s.  Must send them on to you.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 05, 2017, 01:42:38 PM
Rufus, I was talking to a demolition contractor recently who gave me a load of pictures of the removal of the old floodlights from Elland Rd in the early 1990s.  Must send them on to you.

Nice one Billy - thanks!

I've allowed my mind to wonder so much recently that I'm already thinking ahead to the redevelopment of Elland Road to host Premier League and European football.  :o

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 05, 2017, 01:48:54 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on January 05, 2017, 01:42:38 PM

Nice one Billy - thanks!

I've allowed my mind to wonder so much recently that I'm already thinking ahead to the redevelopment of Elland Road to host Premier League and European football.  :o

Now they're doomed, for certain.   :P

Rufus T Firefly

Billys Boots

Sent you the pics by email Rufus, give me a poke if you don't get them. 

Billys Boots

Yeah, a great memory (apart from the result, and the defending). 

Billys Boots

Half-daycent draw after only turning up for 45 mins last night.