Palestinian prisoners on Hunger Strike

Started by give her dixie, February 12, 2012, 04:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 21, 2012, 11:28:09 PM
Let me preface this post by saying that if KA's detention is illegal (as seems evident) and if he has been mistreated (as has been reported), then there is no defending the Israeli Authorities' role in this matter.

However, this thread caused me to do a bit of Googling about Mr. Adnan.

First, according to the BBC, "He [KA] is widely believed to be a leader of Islamic Jihad"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-17112804

Second, if* that claim is correct and if** they're referring to "Palestinan Islamic Jihad", then there may be more to Adnan than some of his supporters would have us believe.

Anyhow, PIJ has been designated as a Terrorist Organisation by the EU, USA, UK, Japan, Australia and Canada (as well as Israel, of course).

PIJ has carried out, and admitted, numerous suicide (or car) bombings of a wide variety of targets, including (civilian) buses, shopping malls, nightclubs and tourist groups.

Particularly egregious tactics include:
1. Brainwashing minors to become Suicide Bombers - http://www.americanintifada.com/2004/3/3-30-3.htm
2. Hijacking a crowded bus to drive it over a cliff - http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2209&dat=19890707&id=bopKAAAAIBAJ&sjid=GZQMAAAAIBAJ&pg=1598,1500306
3. Using a vehicle with false "Press" markings on it to attack Israeli soldiers, a tactic roundly condemned by Human Rights Watch and the Palestinian Journalists Union - http://www.hrw.org/en/news/2007/06/12/gaza-armed-palestinian-groups-commit-grave-crimes
4. They have been implicated in the abduction and stoning to death of two 14 year old Israeli boys - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/1658443.stm

Following a falling out with the Palestinian Authority, their HQ is said to be in Syria and their chief backer is Iran.

For easy further reading, their Wiki page lists additional claims, some of it with citations, make of it what you will:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Jihad_Movement_in_Palestine

* - I have no idea, myself

** - Tbh, there are so many similarly named Groups that I could be getting confused with some crowd from of 'The Life of Brian'

What are your views on the Railway Cup competition? Do you think it has a future? What might the GAA do to make it more attractive to the supporters?
Careful now

Evil Genius

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 21, 2012, 11:59:34 PMWhat are your views on the Railway Cup competition?
It's not the same since they closed down the old 'Sligo Leitrim and Northern Counties' line.

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 21, 2012, 11:59:34 PMDo you think it has a future?
Yes.

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 21, 2012, 11:59:34 PMWhat might the GAA do to make it more attractive to the supporters?
Make them play in the nudie.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 21, 2012, 11:59:34 PMWhat are your views on the Railway Cup competition?

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 22, 2012, 01:19:32 AM

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 21, 2012, 11:59:34 PMDo you think it has a future?
Yes.

Think that one response alone goes to prove that Unionism is stuck in the past and cannot see the passing inevitablity and futility of a defunct tradition   ;D

Quote from: Evil Genius on February 22, 2012, 01:19:32 AM

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on February 21, 2012, 11:59:34 PMWhat might the GAA do to make it more attractive to the supporters?
Make them play in the nudie.

Even James II let his troops wear a sash as they played a game of hurling. Yellow/Gold not Orange mind (close).  ;)
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

give her dixie

Evil, thanks for a sensible reply, and an acknowledgement of the facts surrounding his case, and the inhumane manner in which he was treated. Once again, Israel has behaved in a way that leaves them morally bankrupt.

Evil, I have seen many many links over the past few weeks where he has been accused of everything. Considering he has spent years in Administrative Detention, studied for a degree, runs a bakery, has a family, I can't see how he would have time to do a fraction of what he has been accused of. To this day, he has never been charged with anything. Could he be guilty of anything, well, at this stage it is only speculaion.......

Nally, very dissapointed from you as this thread has been running for a while, and that was your only contribution to Mayo's only contribution.

Glens, I have met you and do not doubt your support for  the Palestinians. You are a trooper, and not afraid to speak out for them, irrespective of your political views.

In relation to the case, and the Hunger Strike that Khader was on for 66 days, it sure brought the issue of Administrative Detention to a world wide audience, and how draconian it is.   

Khader is only one of over 300 people been held under such circumstances. Another 4,000 prisoners are in Israeli jails, and anyone in jail from Gaza, hasn't had a visit in years due to the siege. 

No Israeli is in a Palestinian jail, despite the fact that thousands of Palestinians have been killed.

Even Shilat was never shackled while been held as a prisoner of war.

As you know, we could go around in circles going over old ground, however I take great hope in the fact that over the past 5 to 10 days, more and more Jewish people with dignity have started to speak out. Added to that, the fact that his plight was the biggest story for 8 days on Twitter, and drew serious support. The longer he went on, the further his story spread, and once again, the harder to defend Israel.

Due to the fact that he could die at any moment over a 15 day period, there was no time to lobby Politicians for help, or sends e mails. 

22 TD's called on Eamon Gilmore to call for his release. Gilmore said nothing, and nothing more was said. But hey, sure they issued a joint statement. Job done. He dies, we make another statement. Job done. Move on. Next major violation, issue another statement. Job done........

Khader Adnan's Hunger Strike is remarkable in how he went 66 days, and there is the irony about the fact Bobby Sands died after 66 days. Practically every single news article in the past 10 days compared his Hunger Strike to that of Bobby Sands.

I had been following his case during the early 40 days, and as he reached 52 days, I approached Tommy McKearney and he agreed to send a message of support. Tommy went 53 days in 1980, and he spoke from the heart.

Seeing how powerful Tommy's message was, I then approached Oliver Hughes, and he too sent a message. The McCreesh family also added their voice, and so too did the families of Patsy O'Hara. and Mickey Devine. Their voices were heard far and wide, and I have no doubt that their voices played a small part in Khader ending his Hunger Strike.

Within 2 hours of asking, Michelle Gildernew sent a message, and coming from an MP, it also added to the growing on line of support. I contacted Noam Chomsky and he sent a statement, and Norman Finkelstein joined the support, and so too did Eamon McCann.

The Irish News refused to cover the story for 3 days saying it had no local connection for a story!

Why I explain the above, I do so in the context of how over the past year we have seen how through the power of the internet, the masses of the people rise up. The messages that these people sent out were direct from the heart, knowing what Khader and his family were going through, and were on the internet in a few short hours.

In the case of Khader Adnan, no one relied on any statements from Political leaders, and took to social media networks, and through a set time to tweet each day, drove it straight into the main stream, and Israel got caught like a rabbit in the headlights. Hence the rush to do a deal.

If there is one thing I have learned over the years, is not to trust politicians to take action on Human Rights abuses. They just issue statements, and then pose for photo's with the people responsible for the abuses that they just condemned.

Thankfully Khader has ended his strike. It would have been a tragedy if he had of died, and in ending when he did, he was victorious in many ways. His health may never be the same again, but hey, at least he will get to see his unborn child in 4 months, and his 2 daughters at home.

Every day will be a bonus for him and his family, and in living, his name will never be forgotten for a long long time to come. And quite right it should, as it was the ultimate form of non violent resistance, and for that , I have the utmost respect for Khader Adnan for doing what he done for the sake of humanity.

And there is no doubt in mind that one day soon the Palestinians will get peace with Justice, and as time has proved, the world has woke up to their brutal actions.

Khader Adnan went 66 days on Hunger Strike, and by living, delivered a blow to Israel that was witnessed across the world. And it was done without a word of support from any political leader either here in Ireland, or across the world. Their silence was deafening.

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

trileacman

The silence will be deafening whilst Israeli Zionists continue to have a "special relationship" with America. Once this is broken and nations can speak out without fear of economic or diplomatic repercussions with America, then and only then can Isreal be brought to bear the result of their actions.

The Palestinian movement and its supporters must understand this is the only way to further their cause.

Embarrassing Israel now is just pissing into the wind.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

boojangles

Well Done Give her Dixie. You should be proud of everything you have done.

Harold Disgracey

glens abu

Great result Give her Dixie,well done for all the effort you and people like you put into the campaign,and as the great Bobby Sands wrote.

There's an inner thing in every man,
Do you know this thing my friend?
It has withstood the blows of a million years,
And will do so to the end.

It was born when time did not exist,
And it grew up out of life,
It cut down evil's strangling vines,
Like a slashing searing knife.

It lit fires when fires were not,
And burnt the mind of man,
Tempering leadened hearts to steel,
From the time that time began.

It wept by the waters of Babylon,
And when all men were a loss,
It screeched in writhing agony,
And it hung bleeding from the Cross.

It died in Rome by lion and sword,
And in defiant cruel array,
When the deathly word was 'Spartacus'
Along the Appian Way.

It marched with Wat the Tyler's poor,
And frightened lord and king,
And it was emblazoned in their deathly stare,
As e'er a living thing.

It smiled in holy innocence,
Before conquistadors of old,
So meek and tame and unaware,
Of the deathly power of gold.

It burst forth through pitiful Paris streets,
And stormed the old Bastille,
And marched upon the serpent's head,
And crushed it 'neath its heel.

It died in blood on Buffalo Plains,
And starved by moons of rain,
Its heart was buried in Wounded Knee,
But it will come to rise again.

It screamed aloud by Kerry lakes,
As it was knelt upon the ground,
And it died in great defiance,
As they coldly shot it down.

It is found in every light of hope,
It knows no bounds nor space
It has risen in red and black and white,
It is there in every race.

It lies in the hearts of heroes dead,
It screams in tyrants' eyes,
It has reached the peak of mountains high,
It comes searing 'cross the skies.

It lights the dark of this prison cell,
It thunders forth its might,
It is 'the undauntable thought', my friend,
That thought that says 'I'm right!'

Nally Stand

Quote from: give her dixie on February 22, 2012, 03:54:12 AM
Nally, very dissapointed from you as this thread has been running for a while, and that was your only contribution to Mayo's only contribution.

GHD, in the past few weeks I have sent letters and emails to various Israeli authorities in support of Khader. I dont pretend that this was any huge contribution or that it compares in any way to the good work you have done for the Palestinian people but sending such correspondance to the Israeli authorities, while almost futile, is still much more useful to Khader than anything I might write on a gaaboard thread so while I salute you for all your good work, I would politely ask that you refrain from judging me. It's not your place.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

thebigfella

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 22, 2012, 10:44:51 AM
Quote from: give her dixie on February 22, 2012, 03:54:12 AM

GHD, in the past few weeks I have sent letters and emails to various Israeli authorities in support of Khader. I dont pretend that this was any huge contribution or that it compares in any way to the good work you have done for the Palestinian people but sending such correspondance to the Israeli authorities, while almost futile, is still much more useful to Khader than anything I might write on a gaaboard thread so while I salute you for all your good work, I would politely ask that you refrain from judging me. It's not your place.

Sure you did.

Nally Stand

The Big Fella doesn't believe me?? Oh no...there goes any chance I had of a good nights sleep tonight  :'(

::)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

give her dixie

Nally, firstly let me thank you for your efforts and support for Khader, and for taking the time out to write letters, and send e mails. In an age where not many people send letters, it's refreshing to see people still doing it.

However, the campaign that built a serious head of steam for his release, and forced it into a worldwide story was through posting on Discussion forums, just like this one, taking to facebook and  twitter en mass, and the use of you tube to send messages.

Considering the main stream media were not interested until it became the most talked about topic for one hour each night for over a week how else was Khader's plight going to reach the masses? For the 1st time in years, this was a campaign that never involved sending e mails, holding vigils, phoning politicians, or other traditional forms of action. A completly different approach was taken, and the results speak for themselves.

A few weks ago, a google search on Kahder would have returned a few thousand results. Last night, there were close to 7 million results. In that 7 million, there is no mention of any political leader of any party publicly calling for his release, or offering support. Khader's victory was won without a cheep from them. The people spoke, and the world took notice.

However Nally, I said what I said because on a thread about a hunger strike, containing statements from families of hunger strikers here, I found it unusual that you, as a man who contributes widely to discussions on local politics and history, chose to not comment on them, or Khader's plight as he went 66 days, and instead posted a picture containing the Israeli flag, and Union Jacks. I'm sure you can understand where I was coming from. If you felt I was judging you, i'm sorry.

give her dixie

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/feb/22/khadr-adnan-israel-human-rights

The name of my husband, Khadr Adnan, has now become known across the world. Four months ago he was unknown outside of our homeland, Palestine. His hunger strike of 66 days has transformed him into a global figure and a shining symbol of my people's struggle.

Our life was turned upside down on 17 December 2011 when Israeli troops raided our home in Araba village, south of Jenin, in the occupied West Bank. It was about 3am when they broke down the doors and stormed into our house.

The havoc they wreaked will always remain etched on the minds of our two daughters, Ma'ali, aged four, and Baysan, one-and-a-half years old. I would not be surprised if even our unborn baby will also be affected. Such was the trauma that accompanied the Israeli raid.

Khadar has been a student activist for many years. He is no shadowy figure, but an outspoken local leader against the Israeli occupation. He is well known to both the Israeli occupation authorities and the Palestinian Authority in Ramallah. Both have detained him for various periods without charge.

This constant harassment has stood between Khadar and the completion of his master's degree in economics. Yet, we remain a normal couple, yearning for the much-needed stability and freedom to raise our children; to give them the happiness that is the entitlement of every child. With my own university degree, I have no doubt that as parents, we are well equipped to realise our ambitions. But life under Israel's military occupation has turned our dream into a nightmare.

Not for the first time, Khadar has used hunger strike, his powerful form of peaceful protest, to great effect. When the Palestinian Authority forces detained him in 2010 he went on a hunger strike for 12 consecutive days, forcing the Ramallah authority to release him.

Likewise, he staged several hunger strikes in the occupation's detention camps. The last of these was carried out in 2005, which lasted nine days in solitary confinement.

What drives my husband to pursue this dangerous and difficult form of resistance? I have no doubt it is the unjust nature of "administrative detention" and its notorious methods of torture and humiliation. From the moment he was bundled into their military vehicle in December, insults and veiled threats were thrown at him. They even tried to unhinge him psychologically by claiming I was unfaithful, a vicious calumny he dismissed with scorn.

I know my husband well; I love him, and will always remain faithful to him. He knows this and this is why he spurned the cheap talk of his tormentors. Khadar was never motivated by personal hurt or inconvenience. He, like thousands of other young Palestinians, is determined to see an end to the occupation. He is driven by a higher logic: to expose to the world the plight of imprisoned Palestinians. Since 1967, more than 650,000 Palestinians have passed through Israeli jails, many of them in so-called administrative detention, an average of one in every four in the occupied territories.

Administrative detention is a nebulous and vindictive measure used by the occupation against our young men and women. It is one of the cruel legacies of the old British mandate in Palestine. Today, in the absence of any deterrent or condemnation from the international community, Israel uses it with increasing frequency against university students and lecturers, young professionals and even elected parliamentarians. 300 are currently held. It is part of an immoral policy used to keep Palestinians in a state of perpetual poverty and under-development.

When a military commander issues an order for administrative detention, no evidence is produced. No charges are brought against the victims, and the occupation has no obligation to give reasons for the detention. This is by no means a legal mechanism. It is simply an arbitrary draconian measure used to inflict psychological and physical harm on its victims. When they are fortunate enough to be brought before a judge, he can detain them for periods of six months that can be extended indefinitely. The prisoners' problem is so prevalent today that Palestinians have had to create a special ministry for prisoners' affairs.

I know my husband is not selfish. This is why I supported him every step of the way. As with any devoted wife, I am duty bound to help him bear the burden of our oppressed people. Our relatives and extended family have supported us with equal fortitude. Indeed, I would not be telling a lie if I say that all Palestinians across the whole political spectrum and millions of freedom-loving people in the world have also stood with us.The occupation has decided under pressure to free my husband in April, but hundreds more will continue to languish in putrid cells under the same illegal, inhuman scheme. Khadar has, however, delivered his message: that this long night of tyranny and inhumanity will come to an end.

We are well aware that the Israelis may try to renege on this week's agreement – as they have done with the recent prisoner exchange deal – by re-arresting the freed prisoners. But for every occasion there will be a response, and I have no doubt my husband would not hesitate to resume his stoic struggle with even more strength and determination.

For me, the most difficult part of this ordeal has been the knowledge that at any time I could receive a phone call announcing that my husband is dead. But this is the price for our freedom. It is the indispensable sacrifice needed so that our children might enjoy a life of freedom and dignity.

To the free world, the millions who heard of Khadar and supported him by calling for his release, I extend our heartfelt thanks and appreciation

seafoid

Well done to khader ahnan and good man dixie. Israel started losing control of the narrative in 2006 with the lebanon war and now the peace process has been exposed as a sham the pr task is even harder for them. They are their own worst nightmare. Israel could have been run on the values of judaism but it is too late for that now.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

give her dixie

I put together an article on Khader Adnan, his hunger strike, and the connections to the hunger strikes here in
1980/81.

It is a personal perspective and reflection back to that time 31 years ago.

"Khader and Bobby, 66 days seperated by 31 years"

http://gazatvnews.com/2012/02/khader-and-bobby-66-days-seperated-by-31-years/