Businesses the have acted the cnut during the Coronavirus Outbreak

Started by Franko, March 25, 2020, 11:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

I have applied for the £10k grant to small businesses, if i get that it def will help a lot. I paid 7 staff full pay last week and only one even replied to say thanks, the rest didn't even acknowledge they got paid and for that reason alone i'm paying them 80% from this week (Furloughed) and hopefully in 2 weeks i can claim their wages back. I'm not looking them to kiss my ass but a thumbs up text would suffice.
The banks wouldn't lend me any money so i got my loan from the Credit Union, hopefully they can defer payments for a month or two.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

maddog

what sort of an outfit would pull this one

18 people working for a recruitment firm. They furlough 11 of them so presumably will claim the 80% from the government. The remaining 7 they are asking to keep working but on 80% of normal wage. That can't be right.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: illdecide on March 30, 2020, 03:49:31 PM
I have applied for the £10k grant to small businesses, if i get that it def will help a lot. I paid 7 staff full pay last week and only one even replied to say thanks, the rest didn't even acknowledge they got paid and for that reason alone i'm paying them 80% from this week (Furloughed) and hopefully in 2 weeks i can claim their wages back. I'm not looking them to kiss my ass but a thumbs up text would suffice.
The banks wouldn't lend me any money so i got my loan from the Credit Union, hopefully they can defer payments for a month or two.

Ah but the thing is, they think you're loaded and it won't affect you! But as long as you prepared for the pandemic and didn't put any savings into this new business you'll be fine.

I can just see some of the posters now sitting there with the slippers on and smug grin, saying I'm so glad I prepared for this! 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Quote from: maddog on March 30, 2020, 03:59:54 PM

18 people working for a recruitment firm. They furlough 11 of them so presumably will claim the 80% from the government. The remaining 7 they are asking to keep working but on 80% of normal wage. That can't be right.

If they are working then it should be full pay, the company can only apply for this if it means as a business they can't do their job and they are effectively temp paid off (I could be wrong)

You could be flat out in recruitment at the minute depending on your line of work, Tech companies, food industry and obviously the medical supply chain are all looking staff. and they can work from home, interview online and so on.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

I've put a post on the China Coronavirus thread....just seeking feedback! Basically my UK boss has just purchased 250,000 self testing kits and wants us (normally his sales team) to sell them in our areas. All properly certified etc etc. He is selling them to us at around £12 each and says we should RRP at around £15.

Is this ethical? I'm in two minds whether to get involved...a few people will make a bit of profit but similar spec kits are going for over £100 in places.

The boss says it will bring a few quid into the business while the core business has shut down. Should I get involved? Would you. If someone asked YOU for a couple of thousand kits at £15 what would you say???  Easy £6k or walk away?

delgany

A 20 % mark up isn't significant . You are providing a very valuable service. I LL TAKE 6 !

Jeepers Creepers

screenexile

£3 mark up isn't obscene I wouldn't be worried about that but I'd be checking to make sure the tests are legit!!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: screenexile on March 30, 2020, 05:06:51 PM
£3 mark up isn't obscene I wouldn't be worried about that but I'd be checking to make sure the tests are legit!!

Financially you would probably be actually doing yourself considering the current climate.

Just check the accreditation on these things though, you leave yourself open to be nailed if this is something not 100%. Your still going to be much, much less of a bollox than Randox.

TabClear

Quote from: bannside on March 30, 2020, 04:52:35 PM
I've put a post on the China Coronavirus thread....just seeking feedback! Basically my UK boss has just purchased 250,000 self testing kits and wants us (normally his sales team) to sell them in our areas. All properly certified etc etc. He is selling them to us at around £12 each and says we should RRP at around £15.

Is this ethical? I'm in two minds whether to get involved...a few people will make a bit of profit but similar spec kits are going for over £100 in places.

The boss says it will bring a few quid into the business while the core business has shut down. Should I get involved? Would you. If someone asked YOU for a couple of thousand kits at £15 what would you say???  Easy £6k or walk away?

Is this been done through the business? i.e. is your UK boss selling the kits to "you" personally or the business? In that case is he selling personally?

From my side its ok if its all being done through the business and is providing a service/product that would not otherwise be provided. Ethically this it is a question for the business, I am not up to speed on this but is there an actual shortage of kits for frontline workers? If that were the case and this is diverting scarce products from people who really need them then I think its a problem.

Outside of this absolutely make sure the kits are properly accredited.

TabClear

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 30, 2020, 04:06:57 PM
Quote from: maddog on March 30, 2020, 03:59:54 PM

If they are working then it should be full pay, the company can only apply for this if it means as a business they can't do their job and they are effectively temp paid off (I could be wrong)

You could be flat out in recruitment at the minute depending on your line of work, Tech companies, food industry and obviously the medical supply chain are all looking staff. and they can work from home, interview online and so on.

It does seem wrong to ask some of the workforce to take a pay reduction down to what people doing no work are getting. If there is only enough work for 5 people they should furlough 13 and keep 5 on full pay. Some people, especially in that industry where its all about contacts might want to keep working even at the lower wage to protect their longterm interests.

bannside

Cheers Tab Clear. I have just been sent all the certification..photos paperwork etc....anyone who would be remotely interested obviously would get a copy of that in advance.

At £15 for offering peace of mind, is that feasible, is it ethical, is it morally bang out of order or within the right boundaries. I dont know,  I'll sleep on it!

I'm not getting involved as a middleman, not taking payments etc. Just referring them to a properly audited registered legitimate business...and I'd get a couple of pounds commission.

Is my boss a shark or is he an entrepreneur? Is he providing a self service for peoples peace of mind that currently is not available on the market? He says hes making a  £3 on a kit but this goes towards paying a team in the workshop for doing the legwork/packaging etc.

If it goes towards keeping his company going and gives employment to 30 odd people is that really so bad? I've still mixed feelings that's why I put it out here...but the flow here atm seems to be go ahead no one is taking the piss.

Milltown Row2

trailer

Quote from: illdecide on March 30, 2020, 03:49:31 PM

The banks are being absolute c***ts. They should lend you the money. The gov is backing 80% of the loans. But what some banks are doing is selling normal loans if you qualify and asking for personal guarantees, then if you don't qualify you fall into the gov scheme.
Every business currently applying should automatically fall into the government backed scheme but the banks are profiteering on this global pandemic.

bannside

Thanks MR but I have decided not to get any more involved other than to gladly pass on a few details for free. Just pm me your details and I'll fire you off the paperwork first for a look and enclose the contact details of the company in UK and if you go ahead or not, that's your call.

My feeling is that this product may go on general release in big chemists in a week or so, but atm a week is a long time if you need to know earlier. Do what you think is best.