The Official Tennis Thread

Started by Doogie Browser, January 26, 2010, 11:25:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: screenexile on September 09, 2018, 01:06:16 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 14, 2018, 04:21:16 PM
Hard to separate but fair f**ks to both players!

Haven't seen it properly but was Serena Williams badly done there getting docked a a game?

Her interview after was very good and her words for Osaka but it seems very harsh.

Not a good US Open for the officials!!

WTF
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Boycey

I've been reading about this all day but have only just seen it now or the best/worst bits anyway. I thought she behaved appallingly and doubled down on it by continuing it in her press conference.

Mikhail Prokhorov

she has plenty of previous as well at the US open, spoilt brat who can't behave

RedHand88

I really feel for Osaka in this instance. Had the greatest moment of her life upstaged by a petulant brat who used sexism as the reason she lost, even though it was a woman v woman match. My head hurts.

omaghjoe

I dont agree with her actions or language, the demeanor of the crowd was way out of whack, I also don't agree with the whataboutery
It was awful for the Osaka girl also

but...

I was worried about her mental state after her previous implosion which she attributed to post partum depression.
You don't shake the like of that of in a few months.

The last thing she needs is vilification.
For the Serena partisans I would like to see less talk of equality and rules and more about the mental health of new mothers.... that the real issue here for me

Milltown Row2

My daughter absolutely loves Williams, never misses her play and follows everything she does, but on this occasion she's said Serena has lost the plot!

If it is related to an illness then she's best to step away from the whole thing, she's nothing to prove, outstanding athlete who has been at the top of her game for so many years, would be hard to find a player in the next few years to get to the standard she set..

Though my fav was always Stef
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

mrdeeds

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 10, 2018, 04:28:37 PM
I dont agree with her actions or language, the demeanor of the crowd was way out of whack, I also don't agree with the whataboutery
It was awful for the Osaka girl also

but...

I was worried about her mental state after her previous implosion which she attributed to post partum depression.
You don't shake the like of that of in a few months.

The last thing she needs is vilification.
For the Serena partisans I would like to see less talk of equality and rules and more about the mental health of new mothers.... that the real issue here for me

What about all her outbursts and disgusting things she's said to officials before pregnancy?

From the Bunker

Andy Murray to call it a day after Wimbledon. Tough to have to call it quits at the age of 31.

johnnycool

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 11, 2019, 11:28:48 AM
Andy Murray to call it a day after Wimbledon. Tough to have to call it quits at the age of 31.

Hip problems it seems.

Good player but didn't seem to fit the British Wimbledon winner persona that the LTA craved and that's a positive in my opinion.

imtommygunn

I liked him. Pity to see this. Must be difficult at that age to admit you won't see your best ever again and mightn't do what you love pain free.

mouview

Well, he's out of Aussie now anyway, though typically not without a fight. Beaten by the Spaniard Bustin A Gut.

TabClear

Quote from: johnnycool on January 11, 2019, 12:07:19 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on January 11, 2019, 11:28:48 AM

Hip problems it seems.

Good player but didn't seem to fit the British Wimbledon winner persona that the LTA craved and that's a positive in my opinion.

I would argue great player. 11 (I think) Grand Slam finals in probably the golden era of men's tennis is a great record. Hugely unlucky to be fighting it out against three of the best ever at their peak otherwise he would have likely had a few more slam titles.

I always liked him although he got a hard time in the media at times.

JPGJOHNNYG

What does this idiot need to do to get a ban.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/48300357

More and more tennis players think this behaviour is fine and more worryingly more and more peers, fans and journalists happy to make excuses for it.
The guy should be thrown out of the sport

nrico2006

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on May 17, 2019, 10:55:22 AM
What does this idiot need to do to get a ban.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/48300357

More and more tennis players think this behaviour is fine and more worryingly more and more peers, fans and journalists happy to make excuses for it.
The guy should be thrown out of the sport

I saw an article on hiom the other day where the whole focus was on him slabbering about Djokovic and how he cringey he is as he tries too hard to be liked etc.  He let rip on a few other players too.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

gallsman

Kyrgios is a twat. Always has been and always will be. Fancies himself as a bit of a bad boy of the sport and has taken a few big scalps in his time but he's a dime store McEnroe.