Things that make you go .....Hmmm, that's interesting.

Started by Asal Mor, October 05, 2012, 05:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

This didn't make me go wtf? but I didthink it was quite interesting. I heard about the Sterile Insect technique on QI and read a little about it. Apparently many species of female insects only mate once so scientists produced sterile males through radiation and released them into an area where they wanted to reduce an insect's population. It's been used to eradicate the tsetse fly from parts of Africa, a very dangerous fly which carries the often fatal "sleeping sickness" disease. They say it could used on mosquitoes - now that is good news.

This is from wiki  -

The sterile insect technique is a method of biological control, whereby overwhelming numbers of sterile insects are released. The released insects are normally male as it is the female that causes the damage, usually by laying eggs in the crop, or, in the case of mosquitoes, taking a bloodmeal from humans. The sterile males compete with the wild males for female insects. If a female mates with a sterile male then it will have no offspring, thus reducing the next generation's population. Repeated release of insects can eventually wipe out a population, though it is often more useful to consider controlling the population rather than eradicating it.

The technique has successfully been used to eradicate the Screw-worm fly (Cochliomyia hominivorax) in areas of North America. There have also been many successes in controlling species of fruit flies, most particularly the Medfly (Ceratitis capitata), and the Mexican fruit fly (Anastrepha ludens).

Insects are mostly sterilized with radiation, which might weaken the newly sterilized insects, if doses are not correctly applied, making them less able to compete with wild males.
However, other sterilization techniques are under development which would not affect the insects' ability to compete for a mate

Orior

Many many years ago, I used to deposit money in my Henry the Hippo bank account. Every now and then I would visit the bank and ask them to update my wee blue book.

They would update it and I would at the balance and say to myself "hmmmm, that's interesting"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Farrandeelin

Placenames always do it for me. Whether they're similar to the English version when as Gaeilge or not, I don't know why, but I always go 'hmmm, that's interesting' after I see a placename when travelling on the road.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

laoislad

This thread will never be as big as the What the f**k thread. ;)

I love the How it's Made/How do they do that programmes on Discovery and always find myself saying mmmm that's interesting be it seeing how anything from a Winnebago to a wine barrel is made.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

theticklemister

Quote from: laoislad on October 05, 2012, 09:20:12 PM
This thread will never be as big as the What the f**k thread. ;)

I love the How it's Made/How do they do that programmes on Discovery and always find myself saying mmmm that's interesting be it seeing how anything from a Winnebago to a wine barrel is made.

I think my 'My things that make you feel good/put you in a good mood' thread never had a chance to take off!!

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 05, 2012, 08:59:17 PM
Placenames always do it for me. Whether they're similar to the English version when as Gaeilge or not, I don't know why, but I always go 'hmmm, that's interesting' after I see a placename when travelling on the road.
+1

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 05, 2012, 11:28:02 PM
+1
I'd be a +1 on that too. I put it down to getting older.

Welcome back Lynchbhoy. You've been a stranger round here.

5 Sams

Placenames always do it for me. Whether they're similar to the English version when as Gaeilge or not, I don't know why, but I always go 'hmmm, tht's interesting' after I see a placename when travelling on the road.
Dinnseanchas is the name for it Farren. Fascinating subject. I studied it at Uni many moons ago. Our brethern in the north would be amazed by the stories behind the names of the places they live in. Ballyhackamore in East Belfast is a classic.
The Aristocrat Years

laoislad

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 05, 2012, 11:41:47 PM
Placenames always do it for me. Whether they're similar to the English version when as Gaeilge or not, I don't know why, but I always go 'hmmm, tht's interesting' after I see a placename when travelling on the road.
Dinnseanchas is the name for it Farren. Fascinating subject. I studied it at Uni many moons ago. Our brethern in the north would be amazed by the stories behind the names of the places they live in. Ballyhackamore in East Belfast is a classic.

Hackballscross is better.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: laoislad on October 05, 2012, 11:44:58 PM

And so is Pollawaddy and Crucksbullagadawn.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

laoislad

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 05, 2012, 11:54:30 PM

And so is Pollawaddy and Crucksbullagadawn.

Really though Muff has to be the best of them all.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on October 05, 2012, 11:36:17 PM
+1

Thanks T - but I'm still posting - camanchero by day at work and from this account at home.

Seldom post as work has been hectic since Christmas.

Farandeelin is right though placenames are interesting. I find the disparity between the Irish and English versions of a place sometimes amusing.
Places like tubercurry in Sligo were obv renamed phoenetically due to the occupying English folks poor pronunciation of the Irish word!
Tubbercurry or tobair corraig ( well of the rock)

That and the association of surnames to particular counties is another anorakism of mine which proves I'm not missed on her sad fcuker that I am!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 06, 2012, 12:03:12 AM
+1

Thanks T - but I'm still posting - camanchero by day at work and from this account at home.

Farandeelin is right though placenames are interesting. I find the disparity between the Irish and English versions of a place sometimes amusing.
Places like tubercurry in Sligo were obv renamed phoenetically due to the occupying English folks poor pronunciation of the Irish word!

That and the association of surnames to particular counties is another anorakism of mine which proves I'm not missed on her sad fcuker that I am!
Ah didn't realise you had a new handle.

5 Sams

Agreed.But my point is that all our friends in the Orange Order who live in Ballyhackamore don't realise that they live in a place called after a big pile of shite!
The Aristocrat Years

Lar Naparka

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 06, 2012, 12:03:12 AM
+1

Tubbercurry is not unique in this regard. I'd say the majority of placenames in the west are named in this fashion. Take Tonlagee on Achill Island. "Arse to the wind" is the literal translation. The weather out there can be rough at times and the often best way to approach the place on foot  is to turn yer back to the wind.
Hundreds of similar examples all over the place.
Sometimes the literal translations can be interesting as well. Take Trouthill in East Mayo. Cnoc Breac is the Irish form; breac can mean either speckled or a trout  since the hoor is speckled to begin with.
There's a village/townland in Roscommon named Ephin. (No, that's not a misspelling.) BTW,  your last sentence makes no Ephin sense whatever. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi