You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: AustinPowers on April 12, 2024, 03:52:47 PM
Quote from: Orior on April 12, 2024, 02:19:45 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on February 12, 2024, 09:17:03 PMThis has bugged  me for a while now , but saw it  again today  and I nearly blew a gasket.

Dates written  Month/Day/Year, like:

February 12th 2024

...instead of the correct way , Day/Month/Year , like:

12th February 2024

Apparently it's  only the Americans who write  it MDY , so why the feck am  I seeing it more and more  in Ireland?

Grrrrr!!!!!

I'm sure you know that American English is more authentic an closer to the original than the English used across the british isles?

Yeah , but surely  you mean  grammatically closer? The numbers/date thing  is a different issue

But that's another  statement that annoys me.  Should be British and Irish  isles, or just Britain & Ireland , or Ireland & Britain.

Work at lot of projects with Canadians, Mexicans and Yanks so we've agreed on the 12-Apr-24 format to avoid any confusion.

Simples

armaghniac

Quote from: johnnycool on April 12, 2024, 04:07:41 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on February 12, 2024, 09:17:03 PMThis has bugged  me for a while now , but saw it  again today  and I nearly blew a gasket.

February 12th 2024

12th February 2024

Apparently it's  only the Americans who write  it MDY , so why the feck am  I seeing it more and more  in Ireland?

Grrrrr!!!!!

I'm sure you know that American English is more authentic an closer to the original than the English used across the british isles?

Yeah , but surely  you mean  grammatically closer? The numbers/date thing  is a different issue

But that's another  statement that annoys me.  Should be British and Irish  isles, or just Britain & Ireland , or Ireland & Britain.

Work at lot of projects with Canadians, Mexicans and Yanks so we've agreed on the 12-Apr-24 format to avoid any confusion.

Simples

Exactly. And if you used 12Apr24 it would actually take up less space and still be comprehensible, although slightly more difficult to parse.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

2-3-4 format is the correct way. 12 Apr 2024. No mistakes then.

Duine Inteacht Eile

Every now & again we have an occupation dick measuring competition on this board.
Such & such wouldn't last in my job or our sector is only for competent people etc etc.
People basically justifying their existence by running some other hoor into the ground.

Then we get small insights into the fine detail of these jobs like the conversation above.
Christ above....

Silver hill

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on April 12, 2024, 10:51:17 PMEvery now & again we have an occupation dick measuring competition on this board.
Such & such wouldn't last in my job or our sector is only for competent people etc etc.
People basically justifying their existence by running some other hoor into the ground.

Then we get small insights into the fine detail of these jobs like the conversation above.
Christ above....
:)

Mad Mentor

That stadium announcer in the Aviva!!!

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Windmill abu

Quote from: ONeill on April 13, 2024, 08:31:16 PMDick measuring.

Fosbury, but he had to bend over backwards to achieve it.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Orior

February 12th 2024

12th February 2024

Grrrrr!!!!!

No, I meant more authentic because when the pilgrims sailed off to America they took the english langauge as it was at that time. Since then, the english used in britain and ireland has evolved whereas the american version did not evolve at the same speed. Of course the Internet and modern communications is merging them again.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

jcpen

The weather. So tired of all this rain.
lose loose mange

Lubo Moravcik

Quote from: jcpen on April 14, 2024, 07:09:57 PMThe weather. So tired of all this rain.

Hang in there, things to change this week apparently with a high pressure coming in from the Azores direction.

lurganblue

Tv car ads. Every single one of them is electric. Is that all they are allowed to push now?

Puckoon

Ray Hudson commentating on CBS sports for the Champions League. Worse than Tommy "onion bag" Smyth.