The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer baron

Mullins horse in the 1st tomorrow is worth a few bob i've been told,it's only 2nd hand info though so i wouldn't go too mad on it  :P

Lecale2

Robert Tyner had a good day at Clonmel yesterday. He has a good record there.

macdanger2

Any advice from the horsie men on here on how we should invest this week??

Which horses are
Hyped??
Value??
Bankers?
Donkeys?
Underdogs??
Wildcards?

beer baron

Heading off tomorrow for what will be my 1st Cheltenham trip  :D

I'm really looking forward to it and for the past few months i've been placing antepost bets with Betvictor nonrunner freebet and i've 2 decent looking antepost bets in Hurricane fly at 6/1 and Last Instalment for the gold cup at 50/1 but i've also a few duds in Bright new dawn RSA(watch for him come Punchestown) and Le Vent D'antan in the Neptune with neither running but leaves me with a free bet in them races so it works out fine,unfortunately i also have The Liquidator in the Supreme and it looks like he's still going to run in it and if he does and performs like his last race he'll get lapped  :-[

As for what i fancy now i'm still not decided on a few races but 2 that do interest me are Don Cossack RSA (i'm not obsessed with Gigginstown despite how it may appear  :P) as i think he's not suited by small fields and a true run race will allow him to use his excellent jumping.
I had a question mark over his attitude when he was 2nd to Morning assembly earlier in the season but after looking back on re-runs of his races i think that may have made a man off him because next time up he went and beat Carlingford Lough after looking like he could be beat and i'm allowing him his last run as the race was a bit of a farce with Ruby going from the front and bossing the race on Ballycasey, along with this i'm a big fan  of Gordon Elliott and he's given this horse an almost identical prep to Jessies dream who was 2nd in this in 2011 and from what i'm hearing Elliott's a lot more hopeful of Dons chances than he's suggesting on some preview nights.

The other horse is Attaglance in the Novices Handicap on the 1st day,his last run over fences didn't exactly set the world on fire but Malcolm Jefferson's a bright man and i'd say the horse mightn't have been at his peak that day, previous to that he had finished 4th in the Paddy Power chase and before that finished about 2 lengths behind Double Ross at Perth off level weights and DR is now rated in the 150's,he had a spin over hurdles a few weeks ago presumably to get him spot on without damaging his chase mark over a trip that probably stretches his stamina.

Attaglance now runs off 137 which seems a lenient mark judging on his victory in the Martin Pipe hurdle 2 years ago off 2 lbs higher and with a bit of luck i'd give this boy an e/w shout but the handicaps as ever can be very difficult to get right.

Before i go DH or anyone else got any strong fancies for the week?

winsamsoon

Still muling over a few but have a good one lad its some buzz
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Donnellys Hollow

I don't have very little antepost interest in this festival and I haven't been following racing as intently as previous years. I think we could see some funny results this year as a result of the changing ground. I don't have any basis for that, just a hunch. My advice to anyone would be to back everything e/w regardless of price. Don't be afraid to take e/w terms all the way down to 3/1 or 5/2. Also keep it sensible in the handicaps. They're not designed to be punter friendly and the supposed good things who have stones in hand regularly get turned over.

I've had a small bit e/w on Gilgamboa in the Supreme. He has solid handicap form and will go off much shorter tomorrow given the McCoy/McManus factor. I think the front two in that market have to be taken on. Art of Logistics looks a nice price in the novice handicap. I can see him improving a lot for better ground.

On Wednesday I would be confident that Morning Assembly will prove to be the best of the Irish horses in time. Ballycasey is a nice horse but he looks underpriced now and Morning Assembly comfortably had his measure over hurdles. Greeness cost him against Carlingford Lough at Christmas but I expect he will be more streetwise now. Don Cossack looks to have a hole in him somewhere.

Thursday is all about Annie Power for me. I have her at some fancy prices and am confident she will see out the trip.

I've backed Pearl Castle for the Triumph. He looks like a horse who will relish the way the Triumph is run, the yard know what it takes to win that race and I think he will love a bit of nice ground. Ned Buntline interests me in the Grand Annual. He has the look of a typical strong travelling but weak finishing Noel Meade type. I think he is quite well handicapped though. He will get an end to end gallop on Friday and I can see Carberry delivering him late after the last Bellvano style.

Enjoy the four days gents.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

maddog

Was hearing plenty of word for Western Boy in the first tomorrow. Anyone know anything about this nag ?

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: maddog on March 10, 2014, 10:36:41 AM
Was hearing plenty of word for Western Boy in the first tomorrow. Anyone know anything about this nag ?

He has some good form behind both of Mullins's horses. He ran Vatour to less than a length in a novice hurdle at Punchestown and was two lengths off Wicklow Brave in receipt of 10 lbs at Limerick Junction in October. There will be worse 16/1 shots running all week.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Really looking forward to tomorrow. It's always a fantastic week's craic. I haven't been over yet but still great to be off work and getting the lads together for a few pints and the best week's racing (and best sustained week's sport) of the year.

Been looking forward to the Champion Hurdle all year. Backed Hurricane Fly at the last three festivals but have deserted him in favour of the The New One. Just think the sands of time have to wilt the champion at some stage and The New One is thoroughly likeable with the Neptune proving a decent trial in recent years.

A form / trends guides I bought threw up an interesting stat about the profits which were to be had by following horses in first time headgear at the last festival. Not enough to be a trend yet but it's an interesting angle. Those handicaps are also so competitive that there's usually one that improves beyond what could be expected so it might be one line of enquiry. I've let it push me in the direction of Art of Logistics albeit that a winning favourite wouldn't necessarily be the strongest evidence.

Agree with DH on the impact of the ground, definitely a big angle for the handicaps with marks affected by weather for most of the season.

My team for war tomorrow is;

Wicklow Brave
Trifolium
Fruity O'Rooney
The New One
Quevega
Shutthefrontdoor
Art of Logistics
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Milltown Row2

Ok, lucky 15 for tomorrow done, Champagne Fever, Quevega, Jezki and Gilgamboa
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 10, 2014, 11:05:12 PM

For your sake I hope I'm wrong, but I really can't see on what grounds you'd pick Jezki over the Fly and Our Conor!

Sea The Stars

I'm with Western Boy tomorrow too. I think he's 20/1 there with Powers which is nice as you'll get your money back if he comes 2nd, 3rd or 4th. He's got good form in an opening looking Supreme and based on trainer quotes should be suited by the drying ground. I'd like to see Davy get a few winners too. The market leaders are all potentially very good horses but not sure any of them have shown it yet. Percentage call is something a little further back in the betting.

Champagne Fever would be one of my stronger fancies for the week. It's a pity he didn't get another run into him but then maybe the lack of a run is making his price tomorrow. He'll be another who'll improve for better ground. Support for Trifolium is gathering momentum but ground a massive negative for him while Rock On Ruby hasn't a lot of experience and I thought he hurdled a lot of his fences on his last run. I think he might clip the top of a fence on his round tomorrow. Dodging Bullets the danger and again I think better ground will suit him.

The Champion Hurdle is the race of the week for me. Really looking forward to it. I'll be on My Tent or Yours but trying to keep an open mind on the whole race as it really is a mouthwatering contest. I'd be against Hurricane Fly for a variety of reasons but would still savor the moment should he win it for the third time. I'd not rule out Our Conor either and am just very way that we haven't seen the best of him this season.

The rest of the card has some good supporting acts. If Quevaga wins for the sixth time well what a horse ! Haven't backed her once in those 5 wins and I'll stick with that approach and go with Cockney Sparrow. King Vuvuzuela has crept into the last race and has the right man on his back for a quietly, quietly type ride. Foxrock winning would be a good news story for the Walsh's but Shotgun Paddy is my selection in that race. It's a great opening day to the Festival that's for sure.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on March 10, 2014, 11:08:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 10, 2014, 11:05:12 PM

For your sake I hope I'm wrong, but I really can't see on what grounds you'd pick Jezki over the Fly and Our Conor!

It's an e/w lucky 15, picked him as I've made a few quid off him so thought I'd stick with it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

The Worker

Sticking with ruby today. Can see a big day ahead.

ardchieftain

Ah, extreme nervous excitement, only matched by your county appearing in a final, it must be Cheltenham Festival time.

I'm hoping for another day like the Friday of last year.

Vatour
Rock On Ruby
Time for Rupert[ew]
Hurricane Fly
Quevega
Foxrock

I really hope Hurricane Fly joins the hurdling immortals list today, and if that's my only winner of the day, i'll still be happy enough.