Broadband

Started by Arthur_Friend, October 07, 2013, 04:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: parttimeexile on May 27, 2016, 08:06:50 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on May 23, 2016, 12:06:11 PM
Anyone in the north have any dealing with Vodafone for broadband and landline calls. Had signed up for it as it seemed to be working out cheaper than BT but on reflection now i think it might have been a mistake. The fact that its 15p for a connection charge everytime u make a call is bugging me.
EE have a deal called 4GEE where you can get 50GB download monthly and you get a small device called an mini osprey 2 which has a sim in it for £27 a month. I use this at home and can stream films and all. Measuring up to 30MB speed and I live in the sticks and I mean really in the sticks but have good 4G service on EE luckily.

Looks the biz. They also seem to have a 4G home broadband device.

http://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/gallery?bundleNo=-1&search=:topRated

What are the main advantages / disadvantages of each? The plans are not directly comparable, with differing contract lengths and data plans.

From what I can see the Osprey is more compact, doesn't require batteries and takes 10 devices (compared to the larger mains powered home device which takes 18.

armaghniac

Quote from: LeoMc on May 27, 2016, 01:36:31 PM

http://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/gallery?bundleNo=-1&search=:topRated

What are the main advantages / disadvantages of each? The plans are not directly comparable, with differing contract lengths and data plans.

LeoMc, you stated earlier "I am in a border area with no 4G and patch enough mobile signal" so this may not be for you, although it may be useful to Hereiam.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

LeoMc

Quote from: armaghniac on May 27, 2016, 03:18:42 PM

LeoMc, you stated earlier "I am in a border area with no 4G and patch enough mobile signal" so this may not be for you, although it may be useful to Hereiam.
Sorry, i made the assumption about 4g based on my poor 3g EE signal and previous experience of non existent Vodafone signal.
It is worth walking round the house with a (borrowed) 4g device to find out before i go the road of satellite or O2 Ireland.

LeoMc

Quote from: LeoMc on May 27, 2016, 04:18:54 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 27, 2016, 03:18:42 PM

Sorry, i made the assumption about 4g based on my poor 3g EE signal and previous experience of non existent Vodafone signal.
It is worth walking round the house with a (borrowed) 4g device to find out before i go the road of satellite or O2 Ireland.

OK, so I managed to borrow an Osprey and I can get an OK 4G signal in 2 upstairs rooms and I can get a decent wireless signal in those rooms, better than BT anyway. However, perhaps due to the house construction the WIFI signal cannot be picked up elsewhere in the house and EE's 4G Router does not have a LAN port. Are there any 4G wireless routers out there to which you can add a 4G sim card and plug into a LAN circuit to give both a wired and wireless network?

theskull1

http://nibroadband.com/get-superfast

Anyone like to recommend a superfast fibre broadband provider? Its just in the process of becoming available in our area and I've took a scunderin' dealing with BTs customer service end (left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing). Any positive experiences out there in terms of quality of & customer service?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Square Ball

I have been with Virgin, NTL whatever for 20 years and never had a major problem with them. get 100megs unlimited which does the job for me.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: theskull1 on August 23, 2017, 09:01:23 AM
http://nibroadband.com/get-superfast

Anyone like to recommend a superfast fibre broadband provider? Its just in the process of becoming available in our area and I've took a scunderin' dealing with BTs customer service end (left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing). Any positive experiences out there in terms of quality of & customer service?

I had enough with BTs woeful customer service as well so I moved to Sky for my broadband and find them pretty good.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

armaghniac

I'm aware that Eir are installing Fibre to the Premises FTTP in a number of rural areas. I am not clear on what is happening north of the border. I notice that BT have string some fibre along poles in God's own country in South Armagh. What are they at here, will they install a small cabinet or have they started actually FTTP nowadays?

lfdown2

Quote from: armaghniac on October 11, 2017, 01:45:48 PM
I'm aware that Eir are installing Fibre to the Premises FTTP in a number of rural areas. I am not clear on what is happening north of the border. I notice that BT have string some fibre along poles in God's own country in South Armagh. What are they at here, will they install a small cabinet or have they started actually FTTP nowadays?

Virgin media installing fibre to the premise in number of towns in north west Derry as well as in north Down & Greenisland & Carryduff with further build planned for next year, not entirely sure regarding BT but I thought it was fibre to the cabinet only (may be wrong) then existing line to the home

armaghniac

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 11, 2017, 02:56:32 PM
Virgin media installing fibre to the premise in number of towns in north west Derry as well as in north Down & Greenisland & Carryduff with further build planned for next year, not entirely sure regarding BT but I thought it was fibre to the cabinet only (may be wrong) then existing line to the home

my best guess would be a small cabinet, but I am uncertain whether they have been doing cabinets for 20 houses as distinct from 100 houses. On the other hand poking about on t'Interweb there seems to have been something like this in Pomeroy last year that was FTTP.

Oddly enough the location concerned, near Cross', has moderate broadband speeds unlike some other places further from the town that are completely crap.

lfdown2

Quote from: armaghniac on October 11, 2017, 06:24:50 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on October 11, 2017, 02:56:32 PM

my best guess would be a small cabinet, but I am uncertain whether they have been doing cabinets for 20 houses as distinct from 100 houses. On the other hand poking about on t'Interweb there seems to have been something like this in Pomeroy last year that was FTTP.

Oddly enough the location concerned, near Cross', has moderate broadband speeds unlike some other places further from the town that are completely crap.

The only time they would be going outside of the town (or any town) would be where it was government subsidised I would say

armaghniac

Quote from: lfdown2 on October 11, 2017, 09:12:04 PM
The only time they would be going outside of the town (or any town) would be where it was government subsidised I would say

Well Eir have run fibre through the Louth part of the parish, without subvention.
And it wouldn't be unknown for kit to become smaller and cheaper over time, BT have tested pole mounted "cabinets" with half a dozen connections in trials in Britain.

lfdown2

looking some advice - I purchased a mobile broadband router (O2) recently and as i had thought I am getting speeds 10x my BT broadband, only issue is the range within the house. Have any of you used a mobile router in a home/workplace that you could recommend?

armaghniac

Quote from: lfdown2 on February 15, 2018, 11:32:17 AM
looking some advice - I purchased a mobile broadband router (O2) recently and as i had thought I am getting speeds 10x my BT broadband, only issue is the range within the house. Have any of you used a mobile router in a home/workplace that you could recommend?

If the mobile router has an ethernet connection one possibility is a separate wireless hub, i.e get the best device for picking up the mobile signal and the best for wireless in the house and connect them together. Also you may be able to move the mobile device to somewhere which improves the wifi coverage e.g. roofspace. 

mick999

Or just pick up a better wireless router and swap your sim into it .
This would be one of he better models :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06ZZL966Q?ref=emc_b_5_t