Started by The Iceman, February 19, 2016, 06:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on May 19, 2016, 06:36:06 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 19, 2016, 06:32:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 19, 2016, 07:05:14 AM
Quote from: Gmac on May 17, 2016, 02:54:52 PM
Quote from: heganboy on May 17, 2016, 10:56:02 AM
In a large part of the US, the "message" from the evangelical pulpit and the message from the catholic pulpit are indistinguishable. So many catholic priests will on the weeks leading up to the election trot out the old "vote GOP if you're catholic because they are the only pro-life/ preserving the sanctity of marriage / protecting our children's bathrooms party." Same priests will be genuinely amazed at the dropping church attendance of the young.
I have never heard the priests in my parish mention politics once, do u go to mass?
they will do when it comes to sexual issues. I was at mass the weekend before the marriage equality referendum and the priest had a 20 minute sermon on I'm not going to tell you how to vote but this is what God thinks

I don't have a problem with that. On issues of morality or that are in the area of church teaching I don't think it's unreasonable for the church to voice their opinion to their own flock. Some people even want to hear what the church's teaching on a particular matter are. It's up to the individual to decide whether they align themselves with the church or hold a different view.

I have never, ever heard of a priest espousing party political views from the pulpit though. That would be a new one!
politics in Ireland is separate from religion. Not the same in the states.
GOP policy going back years has been to build religious coalitions to implement policies like tax cuts for the rich.
But sure you where the one who started using the Irish church as an example about what goes on in America??

Tho would say regarding the GOP its the other way around seafoid, the GOP is a party to keep the wealthy wealthy and they use specific morality issues to reign in the masses.