Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 06, 2020, 06:06:30 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2020, 10:22:58 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 04, 2020, 07:58:27 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 04, 2020, 07:03:12 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 04, 2020, 06:45:20 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on May 03, 2020, 03:44:53 PM
When I'm driving, cyclists go two wide and I have to pull out.  When I'm walking in two's they'd cycle  over the top of you.  Which is it?

That old chestnut again? You also have to pull out when they're riding single file. Riding abreast makes it easier to get past because it shortens the group. It's not the width of the group that makes it hard to get past, it's the length.

Except you have to pull out further when cyclists are riding abreast, leaving a potential collision more likely.

What i find strange is that its more dangerous for everyone its exponentially so the cyclists so you would think they would want to ride safer so for them to deliberately create that situation is somewhat mind boggling.

Riders riding single file: You have to cross the centre line to get past them, crossing within the lane is too dangerous because it doesn't leave enough room. So you have to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic before you can overtake.

Riders riding abreast: You have to cross the centre line to get past them, crossing within the lane is too dangerous because it doesn't leave enough room. So you have to wait for a gap in oncoming traffic before you can overtake.

The only difference is the length of the group, and a wider but short group is easier to get past because you don't need such a long gap in oncoming traffic.

;D ;D ;D
Yeah cos when you come across a group of cyclists they are always riding in such a uniform manner, they are strung out over the road and your passing one group of them then stuck behind the next part of the group. We are talking about real life scenarios here not idealised ones that suit your argument.

In the scenario where you are conducting a large group cycle on a regional/B road in Ireland where it is a tight squeeze for 2 vehicles and a cyclist to pass this may be correct. However might I add it would be most inconsiderate to conduct a large scale cycle of 9+ cyclists on a road like this especially when others are available.

However for main roads, minor roads etc this is not the case, and virtually all roads in California are large enough for multiple vehicle to pass abreast.

When there are 2 or 3 cyclists riding in single file it is quite easy to pass them safely insteady of them riding abreast

If your riding 2/3 a breast its a ticking time bomb for a scenario arising where you get knocked down, alls it takes is for one driver to come around a corner too fast and be confronted with the option of hitting the cyclists or getting in a head on collision with an on coming lorry.

Incorrect. It's the length of the group that makes them hard to pass, not the width.

In most instances you are coming up behind cyclists, if you dont have to reduce speed you can zip on past. However if you have to stop behind them and wait for an opportunity to pass (which has a much higher likelihood if they're riding 3 abreast) you will prob get past faster if they're riding a breast, but they've already slowed you down at that point and disrupted the flow of traffic.

Real life and its many scenarios doesn't usually fit theories based on one example.

Eamonnca1

Disrupting traffic? Bikes are traffic!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 06, 2020, 06:13:54 PM
I gotta laugh at all these rules tho too

Most cyclists you encounter in California are either on the footpath or coming at you the wrong way up the street, and Im talking about a 50mph road

Today, in "things that never happened"...

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 06, 2020, 06:38:19 PM
Disrupting traffic? Bikes are traffic!

Flow of traffic?

Eamonnca1

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 06, 2020, 06:39:02 PM

Most cyclists you encounter in California are either on the footpath or coming at you the wrong way up the street, and Im talking about a 50mph road

;D ;D ;D

Oh yeah  ::) denial is another good strategy, except its a crap one cos I encounter it frequently in real life

I would get a photo.... except I am responsible road user

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 06, 2020, 06:45:43 PM
And...?

Traffic has a flow bikes disrupt it disproportionally so when they ride abreast

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 06, 2020, 06:48:10 PM

;D ;D ;D

Oh yeah  ::) denial is another good strategy, except its a crap one cos I encounter it frequently in real life

Yeah, right. The vast majority of cyclists I see are on the road where they belong. The ones on the footpath (which is actually legal in California except where prohibited) are a tiny minority. You're like the motorist who notices the one cyclist running a red light but is too busy playing with his phone to notice the dozens sitting patiently at the light waiting for it to go green.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 06, 2020, 06:49:30 PM
And...?

Bikes are traffic. Riding abreast does not make it harder to get past, it makes it easier. Riding in single file makes it harder to get past because it makes the group longer. But you try explaining that to the numbskulls in the "get off my road" lobby.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 06, 2020, 07:26:33 PM

;D ;D ;D

Yeah, right. The vast majority of cyclists I see are on the road where they belong. The ones on the footpath (which is actually legal in California except where prohibited) are a tiny minority. You're like the motorist who notices the one cyclist running a red light but is too busy playing with his phone to notice the dozens sitting patiently at the light waiting for it to go green.

Im old fashioned I dont use the phone while driving
Im not talking about running a red light Im talking about going the wrong direction, quite hard not to notice but it could be legal in California, after all we all know Motorcyclists can ride between lanes in California doesnt make it safe or inconsiderate. In fact prob the cause of scores of deaths every year

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 06, 2020, 07:27:42 PM
And...?

Bikes are traffic. Riding abreast does not make it harder to get past, it makes it easier. Riding in single file makes it harder to get past because it makes the group longer. But you try explaining that to the numbskulls in the "get off my road" lobby.

Repeating things over and over again does not make it correct, especially without referring to the specific scenario I have outlined. Non-sequitur i believe its called.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 06, 2020, 08:27:43 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 06, 2020, 07:27:42 PM
And...?

Repeating things over and over again does not make it correct, especially without referring to the specific scenario I have outlined. Non-sequitur i believe its called.

Stop doing it, then.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 06, 2020, 07:42:12 PM

;D ;D ;D

Im not talking about running a red light Im talking about going the wrong direction, quite hard not to notice but it could be legal in California, after all we all know Motorcyclists can ride between lanes in California doesnt make it safe or inconsiderate. In fact prob the cause of scores of deaths every year

Funny how the internet is full of so many law-abiding motorists. Shame they're as rare as hens' teeth on the roads. Ever drive over the Bay Bridge? I was going from a match on Treasure Island once and headed for Oakland. I drove at the speed limit and for the craic I counted the number of cars that sped past me. 70 cars had passed me by the time I got to the end of the bridge. 70. And that's only on half the bridge. I feel like a snail driving at the speed limit. And car drivers think they're in a position to wag their fingers at others for violating rules? Half of yiz wouldn't know what it's like to obey the rules if it jumped up and smacked you in the mouth.

Bundle of hypocrites, the whole bloody lot of ya.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on May 06, 2020, 09:13:17 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 06, 2020, 07:42:12 PM

;D ;D ;D

Funny how the internet is full of so many law-abiding motorists. Shame they're as rare as hens' teeth on the roads. Ever drive over the Bay Bridge? I was going from a match on Treasure Island once and headed for Oakland. I drove at the speed limit and for the craic I counted the number of cars that sped past me. 70 cars had passed me by the time I got to the end of the bridge. 70. And that's only on half the bridge. I feel like a snail driving at the speed limit. And car drivers think they're in a position to wag their fingers at others for violating rules? Half of yiz wouldn't know what it's like to obey the rules if it jumped up and smacked you in the mouth.

Bundle of hypocrites, the whole bloody lot of ya.

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 01, 2019, 05:38:01 PM
I was driving from Yerba Buena Island to Oakland a couple of weeks ago on the Bay Bridge. I drove at the speed limit. By the time I got to the other end of the bridge I'd been overtaken by 67 cars. That's in the space of about two miles.

Do you count everytime you head over?

This story prob goes down well in the echo chambers of cycling clubs, but most normal people would just snigger and eyeroll behind your back... because they dont care

Eamonnca1

The point stands. People who live in glass houses shouldn't take a dump in broad daylight.