Wexford vs Kilkenny Leinster Senior Hurling Final

Started by dodo, July 06, 2008, 04:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

Kilkenny have it in all departments, stick work, pace, height, strength, hunger, passion, and determination. The forwards work as hard as the defenders. The clearances from the Kilkenny fullbacks land on the square, Shefflin who's at least 6,4" will win 90% of the ball coming in, and Brennan will pick up the breaks and go for goal, I'm not surprised Fitzheny is the best goalkeeper in Ireland.

To beat Kilkenny ya have to avoid their halfbacks and midfield, either long balls from you're halfback line or run at them, draw the fouls or create openings for the free men running off.

How do you stop Shefflin, Larkin, Power, Brennan? Cant stop them all the time but defenders seem to react second to the ball coming in, they know its coming but still end up chasing their man instead of wining the ball first. I'm sure there is a tactic out there that will eventually stop Kilkenny, just not this year.

Challengers: Galway, or Tipp. Is there anyone else? Cork, Waterford. Not sure. Interesting to note that Ken McGrath positioned in fullback, is he getting used to marking a certain player later on in the championship?

AZOffaly

If Galway play to their potential (the perennial question!) they seem to me to be the team with the players that would trouble the cats. Their full back line is a mess though, and unless they tighten up majorly, they'll concede too much. They do have the forwards and the type of player to run at them though.

Tipperary's backs are probably the best suited to try and hold the Kilkenny forwards, insomuch as that can be done, but I'm not sure if they would put up a big enough score against them. I think Tipps half forward line is weak enough.

Having said that, on any given day, with a rub of the green, I think Galway, Tipperary and even Cork or Waterford would have a puncher's chance. Kilkenny are still, man for man, the best team around, but they are beatable.

Lecale2

That could have been a straight red. It wouldn't have affected the result though. I still reckon the cats would have won handy.