Clare v Waterford 1st June

Started by GAA_Punter, May 26, 2008, 01:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Did he resign? Something rotten in the state of Denmark. I knew there was a players meeting where opinions were 'aired' about the training methods etc. I think Waterford were still doing winter training until about a week ago.

heffo

I've had it confirmed from a very good source too...he's gone..

timmykelleher

Can you say this was a shock?
Not that I was expecting it but Waterford's results this year have been brutal.

Feel sorry for Justin. Whenever he gave an after match interview he always seemed to call it as it was.
"the better team won" etc. as opposed to " the referee was at fault" kind of thing.
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

Zulu

Can't say I'm disappointed, while the manner of his departure is unfortunate and he made a significaant contribution to Waterford hurling, his time was up a year or two ago. His reign was bad for the clubs too IMO and his man-management and tactical know-how were questionable. Waterford will still have time to turn this around so I don't think it is a disaster.

slow corner back

Justin McCarthy delivered three munster titles and a national league in seven years with Waterford. While they certainly had some excellent players in that time they have also had a lot of run of the mill players making up the 15 particularly in the backline. Sad to see a good hurling man like that jump/ be pushed in the middle of the championship. Perhaps he should have gone last autumn but whoever takes over has a big task ahead of them. If Waterford get past Antrim/Galway  ;) who will they meet then?

Zulu

I stand to be corrected here but I think they meet the losers of Wexford/Dublin, and if that is the case then I think they will win both those games and get themselves back into the business end of the championship.

TippEamon

Yes, Waterford have the loser of Antrim Glway, so Antrim!!

I have a handy spreadsheet that gives you all the matches throughout the championship, drop your email address and i will send it on to you.

Zulu

The question was who'd they play after beating Antrim  ;) and I think that is the loser of Wexford/Dublin.

TippEamon

The winner of phase 2 qualifiers will be drawn against a phase 3 qualifer winner in phase 4, Phase 3 qualifers will be munster semi losers against Leinster semi losers. The draw for phase 4 will be arranged so teams who have played each other in provincial matches cannot meet. Therefore if Waterford beat Antrim then they could play Cork, Tipperary (whichever loses tomorrow), Limerick (If they lose to Clare in Mun SF), Offaly (assuming they lose to KK) or the loser of Dublin Wexford!!

Clear as mud isn't it, god love the GAA.