what size hurl to get a young boy

Started by the Deel Rover, May 29, 2008, 09:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

All right lads looking for your expertise here , my young boy is 4 and is hurling mad now i have never played the game or anything like that however i have a hurl and a sliotar and he goes around for hours trying to puck the ball , anyway i want to get him a hurley is there any particular size or is he too young he is only 4?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

nrico2006

Just get him the smallest one you can get your hand on, if he is four it will just be for getting him to actually mess about with the ball so the smaller the better.  If you even have an old hurl laying about you could simply cut the stem yourself to whatever size you want.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

the Deel Rover

Crossmolina Deel Rovers

GalteeMountainBoy

Fair play to you Deel Rover, thats the stuff.

24 inches I'd say. You should try and get one made, the sh*te they'd sell in Elverys and Lifestyle wouldn't be fit for hunting cattle.

A hurley should go from hip to ground in terms of size, some lads like a bit shorter.

A usual juvenile hurley would vary between a Size 30 and a Size 34. A size 26 and 28 would be very small and you'd see under 10s or  younger using one.

You should be safe with a Size 24, but use the hip to ground measurement as a rule of thumb.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: GalteeMountainBoy on May 29, 2008, 10:14:32 AM
Fair play to you Deel Rover, thats the stuff.

24 inches I'd say. You should try and get one made, the sh*te they'd sell in Elverys and Lifestyle wouldn't be fit for hunting cattle.
A hurley should go from hip to ground in terms of size, some lads like a bit shorter.

A usual juvenile hurley would vary between a Size 30 and a Size 34. A size 26 and 28 would be very small and you'd see under 10s or  younger using one.

You should be safe with a Size 24, but use the hip to ground measurement as a rule of thumb.

thanks for that GMB ye we use rifles to hunt cattle in mayo ;) :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

theskull1

Best rule of thumb is to hold the stick at his side with it resting on the ground

The correct stick should be near but not past the lad's trouser pocket

24 or 26 I'd say. Other really important thing is to make sure it is light. Have seen some small sticks which are a heavy as fcuk, which makes it difficult for a young lad to swing it properly. They end up using arms rather than rolling the wrists to swing as a result.

At that age it's all about promoting the right movements
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

the Deel Rover

Quote from: theskull1 on May 29, 2008, 12:04:07 PM

fcuk sure i haven't a clue about any of this skull i will have to try and locate a hurler to show me the ropes
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

theskull1

Can totally understand Deel. Thats one of the reasons why non traditional hurling areas struggle to develop skills wise. They need people from outside coming in and teaching the finer aspects at an early age to make sure the kids develop proper technique from an early age. I've seen some kid's from non traditional hurling areas who are as mad about hurling as anyone from KK but because they didn't learn properly as a younster, they grow up with limitations that are harder to correct in their teens.

I'm sure KK hurlers look at how we hurl in Antrim and see loads of problems with our technique, so don't think I'm standing on a pedestal. I wish they would tell us

If you know of any technically good hurlers/coaches definately ask them for a few tips if you're not sure yourself. It is not rocket science. One hour would get you enough tips to keep to young lad right for a couple of years. Other thing to remember is that good coordination is needed to help learn the skills of hurling. The basic hurling skills can develop it this but any running catching twisting turning balancing stuff will help any kid pick up the skills faster as he grows

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

the Deel Rover

Quote from: theskull1 on May 29, 2008, 12:43:16 PM

If you know of any technically good hurlers/coaches definately ask them for a few tips if you're not sure yourself. It is not rocket science. One hour would get you enough tips to keep to young lad right for a couple of years. Other thing to remember is that good coordination is needed to help learn the skills of hurling. The basic hurling skills can develop it this but any running catching twisting turning balancing stuff will help any kid pick up the skills faster as he grows

thanks skull , must find out the name of the hurling coach in mayo ( i assume there is one maybe some of the mayo hurling posters know his name) have a chat with him and as you said get him to show me a few tips for the bascic skills   
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

AZOffaly

I think the GAA have some tips, and videos etc from gaa.ie which teach the basic 'CĂșl' skills. Try GAA.ie and Development.

Here y'are.

http://www.cul4kidz.com/culcoachhurl.htm

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: the Deel Rover on May 29, 2008, 12:13:14 PM

fcuk sure i haven't a clue about any of this skull i will have to try and locate a hurler to show me the ropes
Pat McAndrerw from down your neck of the woods used to hurl with Ballina might be able to help you out.  Also a former Deel Rover great I believe.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on May 29, 2008, 01:58:03 PM

Pat McAndrerw from down your neck of the woods used to hurl with Ballina might be able to help you out.  Also a former Deel Rover great I believe.

Thats right GI sure i know pat well he went to secondary school in galway i forgot he played the hurling, he is back playing senior again this year. Do you know him ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: the Deel Rover on May 29, 2008, 02:01:00 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on May 29, 2008, 01:58:03 PM

Thats right GI sure i know pat well he went to secondary school in galway i forgot he played the hurling, he is back playing senior again this year. Do you know him ?
I wouldn't know him that well at all Deel.  I crossed swords with him on many occassions in both codes, but sure thats another story  ;)

the Deel Rover

i understand you Gi a hardy bit of stuff is paddy Mc tough but fair i'd say ;) jesus i wouldn't like to be marking him with a hurl in his hand :D Anyway thanks for all your help lads going to buy a hurl for him this evening downloaded the tips from the Website Az gave and we will take it from there. He got his 1st pair of football boots last week and i can't keep him away from the pitch he wants me to bring him every evening which is good, the great thing is that he wants to do it on his own bat must go down to paddy powers and get some odds on Mayo winning the Ai huling final in 20 years time and before you say it Az i know we probably have as much chance of winning the hurling as we do as the football :D 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

AZOffaly

Ye have more chance. Ye are unlikely to run into the Kerry lads in the All Ireland hurling final :D