Offaly v Laois SHC

Started by AZOffaly, May 28, 2007, 09:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Anyone in Tullamore yesterday? A huge let down for the O'Moore men. They were never really in the game at all, apart from the melee that broke out before the game started. (Were the hurlers of the country under orders yesterday?)

Savage haul for Damien Murray, something like 1-12 out of the 1-26, but I really thought Laois would put it up to our lads. If it wasn't for the keeper, and James Young's frees, this would have been of Kilkenny - Offaly 2005 proportions.

A good win for a young Offaly team though, and it does re-inforce the view that we are still (just) on the second tier of hurling counties, so mayber there is something to build on.

The worrying thing as far as I can see is that if Kilkenny hammer Offaly (which they are likely to do) then where does that put the likes of Laois?

Also, the championship structure is a joke. A stupid joke.  If Offaly were to deliberately lose yesterday they would find themselves in a qualifier group with Galway, Clare, Antrim and Themselves. Finishing second there would be eminently achievable, thus getting to the quarter final.

If, as expected, Kilkenny beat them next time out, they will be in a group with Dublin/Wexford, Tipperary/Limerick and Cork/Waterford. And if you finish second there, you get exactly the same prize. MAdness.

INDIANA

you'd worry for laois now- how they'll ever make div 1 is beyond me- set to join the likes of meath and wicklow in div 2 forever. The county board likes so many others doesn't promote hurling and as a result the game is dying a slow death there.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: INDIANA on May 28, 2007, 11:43:39 AM
The county board likes so many others doesn't promote hurling and as a result the game is dying a slow death there.

Not true INDIANA, we just don't have the players of the required standard.
I know first hand how much the county board in Laois are doing for hurling, how much money they are pumping into the game at all levels.
We just don't have the players.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

AZOffaly

Disappointing day yesterday though Hesh. I know a lot of Laois people thought they could take Offaly yesterday, and at least get close to them.

AZOffaly

Anyone have any thoughts on the farcical nature of the two qualifiers groups? (I am aware that my question is leading the witness :) )

INDIANA

all to suit galway - clare and galway play one real match and tank antrim and laois.
the only way to keep hurling in laois going is to keep them in div 1.
I think the provincial championships should be seperate to the all-ireland championship .
we have 1 team in leinster- 2 in munster and galway antrim beat down 99 times out of 100.
run them as a seperate competition -go with an open draw for the all-ireland hurling championship.
As regards laois hurling i was informed by  ahurling man down there that only for about 4 clubs laois hurling would be dead and the county board does nothing to promote it in comparison to football. and this is  alifelong laois hurling man involved down there. I've seen it in my own county first hand so it wouldn't surprise me.

Bord na Mona man

What I posted on uibhfhaili.com...

Very good win for the Faithful today. Laois matched Offaly for a lot of the first half. However they hit a load of wides and missed a couple of clear goal chances. Breeder looked rusty in goals in the first half and was lucky not to be punished. Kilkenny won't be as charitable, so hopefully his touch will be better in two weeks.

The Hanniffy's fielded and scored well in the forwards. Derek Molloy put in a lot of work all day, but his shooting was a bit off target. Joe Bergin operated in the corner for a lot of the game. Darren Rooney stayed on him the whole day. Bergin didn't get much ball in his direction, though he hit a super point in the first half facing away from goal and out on the touchline.

Brian Carroll took some good scores, but positioning him at full forward has a lot of drawbacks. Damien Murray was deadly accurate from frees. As POTH highlighted, the indiscipline of the Laois backs required an accurate marksman to punish it. In open played he missed a couple of shots, but took his goal nicely.

On the half back line, Kevin Brady made some great high catches and clearances.
David Kenny battled well, though at times struggled to clear when under pressure. Ger Oakley gave his usual 100%, fumbled and swiped at a couple but battled very well and got a great reception from the crowd when he came off.

The full back line were effective enough for the occasion, though I thought too many frees were conceded. At times the back line took a lot of work to eventually clear the ball. I'd be a little concerned that Kilkenny will punish defenders who get blocked down or give a bad handpass.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 28, 2007, 01:40:42 PM
Disappointing day yesterday though Hesh. I know a lot of Laois people thought they could take Offaly yesterday, and at least get close to them.

I didn't and that's not being wise after the event. We have a strong mental block when it comes to competing with offaly in hurling (I think it's 1971 since we beat them). I'd prefer our chances of beating Wexford or possibly Clare. Not very likely either though.
World of difference between Division 1 and 2.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: INDIANA on May 28, 2007, 02:04:00 PM
As regards laois hurling i was informed by  ahurling man down there that only for about 4 clubs laois hurling would be dead and the county board does nothing to promote it in comparison to football. and this is  alifelong laois hurling man involved down there.

Well he's wrong, that's all I have to say. I'm not a member of the Laois County Board or an apologist for them but whoever your source is has it way wrong. It's more accurate to say that the clubs are actually holding back any possible progress in Laois hurling with their infighting and holding players back from playing on county teams at all levels.