All Ireland Club Hurling

Started by youbetterbelieveit, November 13, 2006, 11:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Truth

The point im trying to get across and tried to before the match was that where were the scores going to come from when they were not scoring heavily all year. With the expected step up in level of opposition i thought it was going to be a bridge too far....
"We serve neither King nor Kaiser"

milltown row

exactly my point, skull. a lot of posters have come on and had a pop at Cushendalls lack of fire power up front, but they have disposed of the so called better teams without much of a fight. and will be the team to beat this year.

no team in Antrim would have done much better with their CURRENT squads.

Syd The Sailor

Milltown......Get your head outta your arse,check the thread "All Ireland Club Hurling", we are talking about yesterdays match. I think what has been said has been fair comment and it was no mystery coming up to the match where Cushendall might fall down, i wasnt aware we were discussing the merits of the other teams or for that matter strength in depth of Antrim Hurling, that is for another day. Didnt know you were such a princess and got offended as easily
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

milltown row

Who rattled your cage, I was talking about yesterday's game. My point being that they out scored all the teams in the Antrim championship (bar Lamhs) and to say that they lacked fire power up front seems strange. All teams going down from Ulster to play in the All Ireland semi will find it tough to score.

johnjoe

That was a steep learning curve for the Dall, and they came out of it with their pride intact. Will be a better team for the experience.

Vlad The Impaler

Milltown....Thanks for letting us know that Cushendall outscored everyone in Antrim, and there was me thinking they got beat in every match and still won Antrim Championship. Its good to have such a statistician on board.

slow corner back

Hard luck to Cdall they came close but not close enough. They were undone ultimately by a lack of strength in depth as has been said here already. Mick Monty and Declan Mckillop clearly were not fit and should not have started. A lack of quality on the bench probably caused the gamble. Conor Monty was well marshalled and it was only when Aidan Delargy came to midfield that he found any space. On the positive side I thought Neil Mc Manus did well ( yes his shooting was as poor as the rest ) and Scullion at full back was rock solid.
I was not at the Gorts match put apparantly they put up a real good show also. And as for Clooney what can you say except excellent excellent excellent. It makes me feel slightly better about loosing to them in last years Junior championship, only slightly mind you.

Vlad The Impaler

I wonder did the Dall players /supporters take part in their usual championship exit ritual...........ie knocking the shite out of each other in the Lurig......I have seen it a few times, its great value

imtommygunn

Sadly only in threads coming from antrim do you get such shite. Why people have to come on here and take out their personal stupid grudges is beyond me. Get behind your county men you fools.

Milltown to be fair though in earlier games in antrim pre loughgiel cushendall struggled for points and got a number of fortuitous goals against ballycastle and then dunloy dunloy with their point tallies not being hugely impressive. They have improved since then but similar deficiencies were illustrated on sunday sadly. Shane McNaughton and Paddy Magill will hopefully come on leaps and bounds from sunday and that young brick fella sounds a promising prospect so hopefully that will improve them. Their defense however is immense but from about no. 8 up they have done nothing but chop and change all year which would suggest  they've not been happy with their lineup.

With regards sunday it's a game they could have won - though I wouldn't say should have. What riles me about it is that things they've done as second nature didn't come of on sunday and now you get the usual southern bullshit - you did well battled hard etc. Bullshit - when teams go down with more belief against these boys they'll win. Antrim should have beat Wexford the other year too and belief cost them a lot How they get that belief I don't know. When three points down with six minutes to go they went for goals - three points in hurling is nothing. They took short sixty fives when they should have been striking them over. It is one that got away but hopefully they'll get another chance.

There are positives - Sean Delargy was superb and the rest of the defense were very good too. Aidan Delargy was superb too. Neil McManus was very good - and when he bulks out he'll be a fine player.Conor Monty aside there's a good few more years left in that team. A few forwards had injuries - they'll get better.

Hopefully they've raised the bar for antrim clubs and other teams will raise their game now and benefit antrim hurling. All depends on whether they resolve the fixture problem.

theskull1

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 12, 2007, 09:18:03 PM
Sadly only in threads coming from antrim do you get such shite. Why people have to come on here and take out their personal stupid grudges is beyond me. Get behind your county men you fools.

No more than you hear in everyday life ITG The world is full of wastes of space. It riles me no end that to some of these numpties, causing offense is the ONLY reason they post. These people are beyond telling

Milltown to be fair though in earlier games in antrim pre loughgiel cushendall struggled for points and got a number of fortuitous goals against ballycastle and then dunloy dunloy with their point tallies not being hugely impressive. They have improved since then but similar deficiencies were illustrated on sunday sadly. Shane McNaughton and Paddy Magill will hopefully come on leaps and bounds from sunday and that young brick fella sounds a promising prospect so hopefully that will improve them. Their defense however is immense but from about no. 8 up they have done nothing but chop and change all year which would suggest  they've not been happy with their lineup.

You're obviously right about their low points tally ITG. Nobody can dispute that but I would argue that it was cushendall game plan to snuff out the oppositions forward line and sacrifice scoring potential ...hence alot of low point scoring games which they won.....but in having so much space in their inside forward line they were able to generate alot of goal scoring opertunities because of this approach. Everyone comments on their defense, but it was immense because their defenders number 2-12 (excluding no 11)

Hopefully they've raised the bar for antrim clubs and other teams will raise their game now and benefit antrim hurling.

Ah--hem..... do you want to think about that again  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera