Started by Waterford Lurker, June 08, 2009, 10:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieMerx

I would also say Antrim were better

orangeman

Davy's not happy :

By Jackie Cahill

Tuesday June 16 2009

MUNSTER Council officials are looking into the controversial claims made by Davy Fitzgerald following last Sunday's Munster SHC semi-final at Semple Stadium.

The irate Waterford boss lodged a formal complaint with Munster Council PRO Jim Forbes immediately after the draw with Limerick and Forbes last night expressed his hope that there will be no further problems with teams and officials for the remainder of the season.

Fitzgerald claimed that his son, Colm, was physically restrained by an unnamed official from entering the field before the game while the former Clare goalkeeper alleged that he was verbally abused by another official at half-time.

Fitzgerald also indicated that he was unhappy at being told not to patrol a certain area of the touchline during the game by a sideline official and insisted that he was entitled to walk between both 45-metre lines.

Forbes revealed: "Davy spoke to me in a very friendly, orderly way when he need not have been. His discussion was very genuine and I give him credit for that. He didn't raise his voice and didn't use a nasty or derogatory word."

Allegations

Munster GAA Chairman Jimmy O'Gorman, a Waterford native, declined to comment on Fitzgerald's allegations but Forbes countered Fitzgerald's claim that there was no knock on Waterford's dressing-room door at half-time.

Having returned to the pitch first for the second half, Limerick dashed back towards the tunnel because of a heavy downpour, only to be met by Waterford on their way out.

Forbes insisted: "I'd dispute that. There are a couple of lads there in Thurles and as long as I'm going there with teams, I'd be of the opinion that they do that (knock) all of the time.

"A team has 15 minutes from the time they leave the field at the end of the first half to be back out in time for the second half."

Deciders

Forbes, however, has vowed that measures will be taken to ensure that similar problems do not arise again at next weekend's semi-finals and the forthcoming hurling and football provincial deciders.

The former Cork County Board chairman said: "We're not in the business of creating hassle for anybody at our stadiums. I know myself, from being involved, that when teams arrive at the stadium all geared up, the last thing they want is hassle.

"They just want to get off the bus and into the stadium. We will certainly look at last Sunday and try to get to the bottom of it and make sure that if something happened, it won't happen again.

"We will speak to the people concerned over the next 24 or 48 hours and hope that from next Saturday, there won't be any problems encountered."

Waterford were also angered by Sunday Game panellists Michael Duignan and Pete Finnerty, who slammed John Mullane and Eoin Kelly for their celebrations at stages during the game.

County Board chairman Pat Flynn declined to comment on the criticism of the players but it is understood that Waterford may respond in some form after next Saturday's replay with Limerick.

- Jackie Cahill

awfulynice

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 15, 2009, 10:48:51 PM
EddieMerx you make a fair point...

- Wexford of 10 years ago were significantly better than now as were Clare, Offaly, and Cork.
- Tipp are hard to assess. About ten years ago their good teams were coming to and end were they not? So they are potentially better now.
- Waterford are definitely better now though are on the way down.
- Antrim were definitely worse ten years ago as they could barely win ulster. Laois would be about the same now.
- Galway and Limerick are about on a level.
- Kilkenny are a lot better now.
- Dublin are definitely better though it remains to be seen how much.

That's 4 worse, 5 better and 3 the same by my reckoning. Not much of a difference in standard then

I wouldnt agree with this assesment at all tbh

The Wexford team of ten years ago is about level or perhaps a little worse than the current crop
Tipp are definately better than ten years ago
Waterford
Dublin
Kilkenny
Galway
Offaly are worse but in '99 were nearly at the end of the Brian Whelan etc era so have been trying to rebuild since then
Limerick - Level
Clare - Worse

But this analysis does not prove that hurling is worse or better than ten years ago, if you went back 20 years ago you would get a totally different picture and i gurantee you in ten years it will be changed again.

Teams come and go, and its usual for a county to have a dip after a high, it cant be just a conveyor belt of talent all the time.

Some of the nineties good teams, for example Offaly were picking from about 5 - 6 clubs so it im afraid they were an exceptional bunch of lads to all come together. Nowadays there is developement on the club scene in offaly with the more traditional footballing clubs fielding hurling teams and this will have a positive impact in the future. The coaching at underage remains a problem but has improved beyond recognition to what it was when i was U12 /U14. Offaly will have glory days again as will Clare / Waterford / Limerick and it could be sooner than you think. Kilkenny have a tremendous crop of hurlers but they wont last forever!

EddieMerx

Wexford are alot worse than the team 10 years ago, Paul Codd, Larry O'Gorman, Rory McCarthy, Storey, Dunne... the current crop are not a patch on them.

Are Galway much better than in 99? seriously what have they done in the last 10 years to warrant being considered great (apart from Joe)

Waterford, B. Landers; T. Feeney, S. Cullinane, B. Flannery (capt.); P. Queally, S. Frampton, B. Greene; T. Browne, F. Hartley; D. Shanahan, B. O'Sullivan, K. McGrath; M. White, P. Flynn, D. Bennett. Subs: P. Walsh for Hartley (second half); A. Kirwan for Greene (50th minute); M. Malumphy for Bennett (65th). This team lost in the munster semi against Cork, I would bet €20 that this team would beat the team that in their last 2 championship games have given 2 of the worst performances I have seen in a long time

awfulynice

Quote from: EddieMerx on June 16, 2009, 12:53:45 PM
Wexford are alot worse than the team 10 years ago, Paul Codd, Larry O'Gorman, Rory McCarthy, Storey, Dunne... the current crop are not a patch on them.

Are Galway much better than in 99? seriously what have they done in the last 10 years to warrant being considered great (apart from Joe)

Waterford, B. Landers; T. Feeney, S. Cullinane, B. Flannery (capt.); P. Queally, S. Frampton, B. Greene; T. Browne, F. Hartley; D. Shanahan, B. O'Sullivan, K. McGrath; M. White, P. Flynn, D. Bennett. Subs: P. Walsh for Hartley (second half); A. Kirwan for Greene (50th minute); M. Malumphy for Bennett (65th). This team lost in the munster semi against Cork, I would bet €20 that this team would beat the team that in their last 2 championship games have given 2 of the worst performances I have seen in a long time

Wexford have some great hurlers at the moment, Banville, both Jacobs, Travers, Lyng all stand up to O'Gorman / Codd etc. The standard of hurling has improved immensley over the 2 decades, the reason you might think they were so good is the fact they got so much time on the ball...not so nowadays.

Galway have a much better all round team today than in '99. If you look back ten years ago they had 1 forward and a fairly ok all round team. Now they have a fairly good defence and midfield and 3 - 4 free scoring forwards along with Joe. I didnt say Galway were "great" but definately improved.

You cant pick Waterfords last 2 championship games and use that as a measure of how good they have been. They were a bag of nerves against an experienced and lethal kk team in the all ireland final. and the match against Limerick was a monsoon. I could easily point out that Waterford beat KK in the league and therefore are contenders for the all-ireland but i dont base assumptions on one or two games.  Name out Waterfords team of ten years ago and apart from a few great players they were ordinary enough, they have improved immensley since then.

Bing Crosby .

A very dissappointing game . No positives to be taken from this match what so ever .  The future looks bleak in Limk although I do expect them to win the replay .
I also agree  with that assessment below .
[/quote]

The Wexford team of ten years ago is about level or perhaps a little worse than the current crop
Tipp are definately better than ten years ago
Waterford
Dublin
Kilkenny
Galway
Offaly are worse but in '99 were nearly at the end of the Brian Whelan etc era so have been trying to rebuild since then
Limerick - Level
Clare - Worse

[/quote]

slow corner back

10 years ago 1999 Cork won the all ireland with a young side beating KK in the final on a wet day.KK are better than they were although they were decent back then. Cork are not as good and the age profile is nowhere near as promising. Offaly were all ireland champs in 1998 and are nowhere near that level now, Clare were a great team then but no longer. Other teams its harder to say, Tipp had promise in 1999 and have promise now. Waterford had a great run in 98 and were a dangerous team still about the same level although hard to say if they are on an upward or downward slope just yet. Limerick were in flux in 1999 rebuilding the Ciaran Carey inspired team of the mid nineties still trying to recreate that era. Wexford were much stronger in 99 Leintster champions in 97 and still a lot of good players in that side not as good today. Laois not sure about didnt upset too many in Leinster in thelate 90s and still dont. Antrim were on the slide in 99 which led to Derry winning back to back ulsters early in the century slighly better now but not much. Derry much worse.
From a very local perspective ulster hurling has gone back badly not close enough to other provinces to comment in detail although I suspect Leinster is back a bit.

EddieMerx

Quote from: awfulynice on June 16, 2009, 01:55:59 PM

Wexford have some great hurlers at the moment, Banville, both Jacobs, Travers, Lyng all stand up to O'Gorman / Codd etc. The standard of hurling has improved immensley over the 2 decades, the reason you might think they were so good is the fact they got so much time on the ball...not so nowadays.

you are kidding me I hope! Seriously the two Jacobs are the most overrated hurlers to wear the Wexford shirt, Mick has been there for 7 or 8 years and has rarely produced. Rory might score 2 or 3 points a game but I can guarantee he will have chalked up 8 or 9 wides to get his 2 or 3 points. Travers has been cleaned out by many good hurlers. Lyng is good and Banville well to be honest I would much prefer a Paul Codd in there scoring 7 or 8 points a game than Banville maybe nabbing a goal or two against a leaky defence. I don't think think Banville would get much off Hickey.

Ash Smoker

The replay of this won't be televised btw, so it should ensure a better attendance.