Would you be in favour of a second tier?

Started by sligoman2, June 26, 2017, 12:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favour of an alternative championship for Div 3 and 4 with winners and runners up rejoining the other championship.

Yes
136 (52.7%)
No
104 (40.3%)
Undecided
18 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 258

thejuice

Yeah. I don't see how this helps move things towards a more open and competitive championship to be honest. Surely 2 tiers should be seen as a temporary situation till we can get teams a more equal footing. But I'm not sure it helps in achieving that goal.

I think the GAA should have always be trying to level the playing field as much as possible by making sure counties like Leitrim aren't stuck for resources that the top teams have. Invest more in the lower ranked counties than the top. You can't solve population differences but there are disparities that can be. Dublin, Kerry, Mayo and a few others don't need as much help from headquarters as others do. The NFL have their heads screwed on in this regard in terms of giving the lowest team a leg up in the draft. Obviously they can't help a team if they're coached and owned by fools.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

dublin7

Quote from: thejuice on October 05, 2019, 12:25:01 PM
Yeah. I don't see how this helps move things towards a more open and competitive championship to be honest. Surely 2 tiers should be seen as a temporary situation till we can get teams a more equal footing. But I'm not sure it helps in achieving that goal.

I think the GAA should have always be trying to level the playing field as much as possible by making sure counties like Leitrim aren't stuck for resources that the top teams have. Invest more in the lower ranked counties than the top. You can't solve population differences but there are disparities that can be. Dublin, Kerry, Mayo and a few others don't need as much help from headquarters as others do. The NFL have their heads screwed on in this regard in terms of giving the lowest team a leg up in the draft. Obviously they can't help a team if they're coached and owned by fools.

You're never going to ge all teams on an equal footing. Even the NFL which strives for fairness has good and bad teams every year.

The likes of Leitrim,Louth and Carlow will never be able to match counties like Dublin and Kerry no matter how much money you throw at them. The obvious solution to me is to introduce a competition that these teams have a realistic chance to win every tear

Rossfan

Louth has around the same population as Kerry.
If only their Co Board could persuade Croke Park that the "GAA needs a strong Louth" ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Obvious

Quote from: thejuice on October 05, 2019, 12:25:01 PM

NFL without a doubt the best format the GAA have and their tiered system already in place.

Division two will be the most competitive of the four groups next year. You'll have the 4 or 5 pushing for promotion and the rest fighting for their life's to avoid that Tommy Murphy Cup mark 2 competition in the summer.

TheGreatest

3 ties , junior, inter and Senior.

There will still be complaints of hidings when its two tiers.

Blowitupref

2nd tier confirmed for 2020 and to be decided on where teams finishes in the NFL this spring (Cork will be happy with that)

2nd tier was scrapped 11 years ago so basically those at the top have gone backwards as they tweak the Gaa championship once more.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

FermGael

Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

rodney trotter

What's the joke? . Persist with a All Ireland that many teams have no chance of winning? They have 5 tiers in Hurling..

If the second tier is marketed well and has TV Coverage it could be a success. The winner qualifying for the All Ireland series the following year.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 19, 2019, 03:55:30 PM
What's the joke? . Persist with a All Ireland that many teams have no chance of winning? They have 5 tiers in Hurling..

If the second tier is marketed well and has TV Coverage it could be a success. The winner qualifying for the All Ireland series the following year.

All Ireland isn't all about who wins its and as it stands its Dublin's to lose for the foreseeable future. 

That's a big if by the way.

GalwayBayBoy

Makes Division 2 of the league fair interesting next year.

BennyCake

It won't be, and it won't be.

This is just HQ sweeping the unfair funding issue under the carpet.

Rossfan

Won't someone please  think of Hardstation and Bennycake :-\
A fairly decisive vote alright.
Ros better make sure we don't get relegated!!
The proposed football rules all passed too.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 19, 2019, 04:25:16 PM
Makes Division 2 of the league fair interesting next year.

Very interesting and competitive. Will be a big battle between Down, Cork, Tipperary and Down to get out of division 3.

Rossfan

Quote from: hardstation on October 19, 2019, 04:40:58 PM
The inter-county game is officially finished for a number of counties now, Antrim included.
Better concentrating on club football.
Antrim who were batin all round them the last 20 years.... ...?

FermGael

Quote from: BennyCake on October 19, 2019, 04:27:40 PM

It won't be, and it won't be.

This is just HQ sweeping the unfair funding issue under the carpet.

Couldn't agree more .
He won't market this .
GAA president John Horan reveals a text message from RTE's Declan McBennett that he is confident the second tier championship )business end) will be covered.
That's what he told Congress today.
He has a text.
No coverage plans.
A text to cover semi finals and finals.
No other rounds

Anyone who think the Gaa will market this need their heads looked at
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered