Football All Stars 2019

Started by Estimator, August 05, 2019, 11:19:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Erne Man on August 12, 2019, 09:42:32 AM
In my opinion, I dont think either Durcan or Murphy will have done enough to warrant All Stars this year - and would expect both to be replaced on the team above by Howard and Kilkenny respectively after the final -  on the assumption that Dublin win.
At the minute Fitzimmons has done more to merit an award than Cooper at corner back.

Given the magnitude of winning 5 in a row, I'd expect Dublin to deservedly pick up 10 or 11 this year.

Murphy had one of his best ever summers with Donegal which should more than warrant his 3rd All star. On Durcan, here are some stats that was tweeted up about him.

In his six championship matches this summer Paddy Durcan has marked six players and held five of them scoreless from play, while grabbing 0-8 himself. His last victims: Jack McCaffrey,Ryan McHugh not just Held scoreless but one shot between them.

Quote from: greatpoint on August 12, 2019, 10:28:19 AM
It's highly unlikely that Tyrone will receive two All-Stars.
Arguably the best full back and full forward this year, will make little sense if both of those players didn't get All Stars IMO.

bannside

Stephen Mc Menamin held Mattie Donnelly and David Clifford to two points between them. For this alone a nomination is deserved.

Estimator

Quote from: bannside on August 12, 2019, 09:02:24 PM
Stephen Mc Menamin held Mattie Donnelly and David Clifford to two points between them. For this alone a nomination is deserved.

There is a stat doing the rounds today that Tom O'Sullivan has kept Harte, Cillian O'Sullivan, Jamie Brennan, James Carr and Paul Kerrigan scoreless, while also scoring 1-3 himself.

On another note I'd say McNamee and McShane will get the FB and FF awards.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Angelo

McNamee and McShane should get two for Tyrone.

Durcan should be a shoe in for Mayo, not sure I can pinpoint another player for them, they had a lot of injuries and while AOS had a few great games he also had a few stinkers - he was terrible against Armagh, destroyed against Kerry and poor enough against Dublin.

Murphy will get one for Donegal, McHugh will probably miss out due to the no show against Mayo but was a cert up until then.

I'd say Kerry/Dublin will probably get 11 between them, I'd imagine 7/4 if it's within 6 points, 8/3 if it's a very comfortable Dublin win.

Keoghan is the only player outside the semi finalists and Donegal that I think would be deserving but I doubt he will get one.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

blast05

Quote from: Angelo on August 14, 2019, 09:56:06 PM
Durcan should be a shoe in for Mayo, not sure I can pinpoint another player for them

I think most Mayo folk would argue Boyler us the shoe-in and Durkin the 'possible' selection

Angelo

Quote from: blast05 on August 14, 2019, 10:06:21 PM
Durcan should be a shoe in for Mayo, not sure I can pinpoint another player for them

I think most Mayo folk would argue Boyler us the shoe-in and Durkin the 'possible' selection

Possibly but I think Durcan's performances on two of the top two players in the country in the past fortnight should have him a shoe in.

Farrandeelin

Durcan should be a shoe in for Mayo, not sure I can pinpoint another player for them, they had a lot of injuries and while AOS had a few great games he also had a few stinkers - he was terrible against Armagh, destroyed against Kerry and poor enough against Dublin.

Murphy will get one for Donegal, McHugh will probably miss out due to the no show against Mayo but was a cert up until then.

I'd say Kerry/Dublin will probably get 11 between them, I'd imagine 7/4 if it's within 6 points, 8/3 if it's a very comfortable Dublin win.

Keoghan is the only player outside the semi finalists and Donegal that I think would be deserving but I doubt he will get one.

Conor Cox surely, although he'll hardly get one either. Should get a nomination at least.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyCake

Nominations are balls. It's all to pacify the counties who had a decent enough summer and make them feel like they're valued in this Dublin championship

Dublin will get about  7, Kerry 3, Tyrone/Mayo/Donegal maybe 1/2 each.

Token gesture nominations to Cavan, Roscommon, Cork, Kildare, Meath, Armagh etc, more so as a pat on the shoulder "of course we take an interest in matches before the semis" type of way.

Rossfan

Couldn't have put it better myself Benny.
I gave up on all this All Star nonsense 20 years ago.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Angelo

Quote from: Farrandeelin on August 15, 2019, 08:01:56 AM

Conor Cox surely, although he'll hardly get one either. Should get a nomination at least.

Can't see Cox getting on. I'd say it will be McShane, Clifford and O'Callaghan in the FF line. Murphy and O'Brien in the half forward line with a spot up for grabs, Mannion or O'Callaghan might move out to the half forward line to fit everyone in.

imtommygunn

I could be wrong on this but I don't think O'Brien is going to count in the final and this will go against him. Clifford I think will.

I was watching his goal again and the defending was very poor. Two maybe three tyrone men drawn to the ball leaving the space for him to run into right in front of goals. Dublin won't do something like that.

Hound

Con's wearing 11 most weeks, so even though he hasn't played half forward that'll be enough for the "selectors" to move him out there.

McShane plus at least 4 from Kerry and Dublin in the forwards (personally I think Mannion, Con, Clifford and O'Brien are almost certs). If performances in the final mean that 5 Dublin/Kerry forwards need to be picked (say massive games from Geaney, Kilkenny or Howard), then could Murphy be moved to midfield at the expense of AOS?

oakleaflad

My team:

Patton

McMenamin McNamee T O'Sullivan

McCaffrey Keoghan Durcan

Fenton Moran

Mannion Murphy O'Brien

Clifford McShane O'Callaghan

Dublin will get more than 4 though in reality. Cluxton will likely get one, possibly McCarthy at the expense of the excellent Keoghan and Fitzsimmons, Howard and Kilkenny won't be far away either. Boyle and Cox are two off the top of my head that would be unlucky also. I ended up with only 4 Dublin players and 3 from Donegal for example but just selected who I thought was best in each position, regardless of total numbers for each county. Mayo only had one despite getting to a AISF for example also.

Armagh18

Cluxton
McMenamin-McNamee-???
Durcan-Boyle-McCaffrey
Fenton-Moran/Murphy
O'Shea-Con O'C- O'Brien
Clifford-McShane-Mannion

square_ball

McNamee still 10/3 on PP for an all star. I wasn't overly impressed with him this year but seems to be a big favourite on here.