Good 'FREE' Software

Started by J OGorman, September 14, 2011, 10:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J OGorman

Thread to put any and all recommended free software apps for laptop / PC(not free trial apps):

Video Converter: Freemake Video Converter...

Details: Convert video free to AVI, MP4, WMV, MKV, MPEG, SWF, 3GP, DVD, MP3, iPod, iPhone, PSP, Android, rip & burn DVD, convert FLV & online videos from 50+ sites, burn Blu-ray etc....,

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

Have been using it to convert movies to watch on the phone etc...quare job

ziggysego

Office Package: Open Office

Details: All the features of Microsoft Office, but free.

http://www.openoffice.org/

If you've got MS Office, or decide to buy it, it's difficult to remove Open Office and can conflict with MS Office.
Testing Accessibility

The Iceman

AVG do great virus software for free.

VLC Media Player is a fantastic software that lets you watch video in any format.

Open Office as Ziggy mentioned is handy if you can't get Microsoft Office
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: The Iceman on September 14, 2011, 03:00:13 PM
AVG do great virus software for free.

VLC Media Player is a fantastic software that lets you watch video in any format.

Open Office as Ziggy mentioned is handy if you can't get Microsoft Office

AVG seems to slow your PC down too much. I use MS Security Essentials.

Lar Naparka

Revo Uninstaller is an extremely useful freeware program to have if you want something that does a more thorough job than the Windows Add or Remove Programs applet! (Not sure if there is a Mac or a Linux offering.)
The interface is very straightforward –little or no learning curve. It's also got a slew of useful addons like an autorun manager and a junk files cleaner.
The standard Windows removal tool leave a lot of registry keys behind but Revo can be configured to search for them all and give you the option of deleting them manually.
If you should ever decide to remove Open Office from your computer for any reason,
Bear in mind that I did it once and found I had over 1,400 registry entries to delete!
I'd have given up long before the end but I had to do the most thorough job possible as some leftover entries were apparently conflicting with Ms Office which I was in the process of installing.

www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Cold tea

Quote from: J OGorman on September 14, 2011, 10:27:20 AM
Thread to put any and all recommended free software apps for laptop / PC(not free trial apps):

Video Converter: Freemake Video Converter...

Details: Convert video free to AVI, MP4, WMV, MKV, MPEG, SWF, 3GP, DVD, MP3, iPod, iPhone, PSP, Android, rip & burn DVD, convert FLV & online videos from 50+ sites, burn Blu-ray etc....,

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

Have been using it to convert movies to watch on the phone etc...quare job

How do you convert video with this software, surely you can only put your video in a video recorder?

cadence

Ulick

SpyBot S&D for spyware and adware removal.

As mentioned VLC is a very good media player but I prefer the lighter Media Player Classic (MPC).The  Combined Community Codec Pack CCCP is also essential for any serious media nerds.

For a complete media centre, I've started using XBMC media center and have found it very impressive (and wife proof) and works well with Windows 7 and Windows Home Server 2011

For watching and recording telly, MediaPortal is pretty good. A bit chuggy for watching stuff in, but it recognises pretty much every tuner. Finding it very handy with all these rugby matches on during the middle of the night.

Audacity for sound recording, editing and processing.

Aptana Studio is a good IDE for web development with some functionality for creating iPhone app. Eclipse is a more heavyweight IDE I've used for developing Android apps. BlueGriffon is a good basic web page creator/editor for newbies which supports modern standards such as HTML5.

Virtual Dub for some video processing and some basic editing features. Especially useful for batch processing (converting a dose of video files to different format or settings at once). 

HandBrake for DVD ripping and converting into different formats. Needs a little tweaking though to get around digital rights management though.

XAMPP sets up an Apache web server, databases and scripting installations all in one go.

Joomla a good free Content Management System with loads of available templates which allows you to set up a complete, top end website quickly with little fuss.

Google Sketch-up is a good 3D modelling application with loads of easily downloadable models to get you up and running.

GIMP is a pretty good graphics editor which is particularly good for web design work. 

nifan

QuoteIf you should ever decide to remove Open Office from your computer for any reason,
Bear in mind that I did it once and found I had over 1,400 registry entries to delete!

I dont use windows much if I can help it, but usually something like CCleaner mentioned by Fionntamhnach will find and remove trailing registry entries.

For free software I use Linux as my os, and pretty much all free software on it.

cadence

any other good free software for audio other than audacity?

Ulick

Quote from: cadence on September 16, 2011, 10:37:11 AM
any other good free software for audio other than audacity?

What are you looking it to do?

omagh_gael

Anyone know of any good (free) software for editing photos?

Ulick

laoislad

Quote from: omagh_gael on September 16, 2011, 10:57:13 AM

I downloaded Lightroom 3 as a torrent from the piratebay.
Great program and easy to use.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Ulick on September 16, 2011, 11:04:39 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on September 16, 2011, 10:57:13 AM

GIMP

http://www.gimp.org/

No need for the abuse Ulick ;)

Cheers lads will check those out when I get home from work.