The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

Robbo

Fair play to offaly. And not like theres huge cost ot manpower needed.

Dont think we even have a coaching committee.  ::)

SpeculativeEffort

Overall I would say the Offaly idea above is lightweight with little progress for players or any accountability. Its an easy catch all that will have very minimal impact. Better than nothing but miles away at same time.

mcwregor

I started this page in October 2015 to highlight a few issues that were ahead of us. The main point at the end of it was that there is no plan! That was 6 years ago, how many years will I revisit this before we have a plan??

Overhaul of structures
What structures? Are there structures in Laois hurling?
Im not aware of them. It was once said that Laois had the best underage hurling structures in Ireland. I don't believe that to ever be true but I know the setanta programme had some success and at the time it was something that physically was in place. Is the setanta programme dead in the water? I haven't heard of it in years? Whats replaced it? Before we start talking about having minor and U20 teams feeding into our senior co set up we need a basis from which our underage development squads are being fed. They need to be improved across the board. That in turn will improve our minor squads and so on.

Is the will there?
I haven't seen a county executive in laois with the drive to push our county up the ladder. Are the right people in the right positions, I don't think so. Don't get me wrong, I am not here to bash the co board, they are giving up huge time to fill these positions for little reward. But I look at Offaly, there is a desire there at the moment to get back to where they once were. They have realised that what they have been doing for donkeys years isn't enough or good enough. They have a long way to go but they seems to be driving all things Offaly in the right direction. If the keep doing it and build on what they are already doing it they might just get there in time. Have you ever seen that ambition in laois? When Cheddar brought his blueprint for laois hurling to the co board it was thrown out the window. I would question the co board, why did they do that, what is there alternative plan? NOTHING!! That's what. It's a real shame. We need a Michael Duignan type figure at the top with progressive fresh blood working under him. I think for a major plan for a revamp would need a good number of people, maybe more than what is on the committee now. The people at the top need to be able to delegate a bit more. The workload is huge especially for people with jobs, family's other commitments etc. There are really genuine and intelligent people in laois. Liam O Neill – what a chairman he would be or director of hurling? There would be plenty in support him in his role.

Finances/Investments
Most other counties that have a chance of winning something have big backing. Sports direct in cork, JP in limerick, Teneo in tipp etc. Our co board have shown a surplus of 500k at this year's end which is impressive. More can be done here I believe, there are outside investors that have the interest in laois to give us a dig out. They would need to see a long term achievable plan and back something that is worth backing. I have heard of a couple of firms that might do this but I won't speculate. There needs to be a finance committee focussed on seeking out these possibilities. I heard Peter O Neill saying that too much money was being spent on co teams in other counties and that it's not possible for counties like laois to compete with. I would actually agree with him to an extent, are the training camps in carton house and fota really required? Probably not but there is a balance there where you are losing ground on the more professional approach. Its another conversation really but the likes of Dublin footballers have definitely benefitted from the professional environment that they are in. O Neill suggested that he would prefer to use the money to develop the underage structures. I would agree but also say "WHY DIDN'T YOU DO IT THEN"?

Director of Hurling
Would love to see this. If we don't have the money, does it need to be a paid position? Is part time an option? Better than nothing I say. Imagine the work Cheddar would do here, he was never a man for money. Someone like him sitting down putting pen to paper and thinking long and hard about where we need to go. Then thinking about how we are going to get there. After that its about getting the right people involved in the right places and overseeing the whole thing through.

Players
One of the biggest disappointments in laois is the lack of love for the county from some players. The fact that they don't see the point is terribly sad. Something drastic needs to change here. It's beginning to become a cultural problem that is slowly being accepted as the norm. It will soon be out biggest problem and challenge. Some will say "sure what can be done, if they won't go you can't make them". To say this is a cheap and easy way out imo. It won't be easy but we need to create a cultural change within the county. Starting with the youngest age groups at a "setanta" or equivalent programme and in still a love for playing for laois. There are ways of doing it, changing the psyche. After that I have written on another thread about getting players currently not involved to buy in. You won't get them all but in laois its worse than anywhere else. It needs to change.

Goals/Ambitions
Im sure the question has been asked and answered in the past. But what IS our ambitions for hurling in Laois. What are our goals for 5/10/20 years down the road? Once they are established the next question is how are we going to get there? After that its all about rolling up the sleeves and deliver on those goals but implementing what you said you would do.
This is a long winded way of saying PUT A PLAN FOR LAOIS HURLING IN PLACE AND FOLLOW THROUGH ON IT!
I have made just a couple of suggestions here, can you come up with some more?

tippmaninlaois

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on December 30, 2021, 10:00:18 AM
Overall I would say the Offaly idea above is lightweight with little progress for players or any accountability. Its an easy catch all that will have very minimal impact. Better than nothing but miles away at same time.

It's actually the opposite with buy in from the clubs,GDA's GPO's and the county management teams

There's a document circulating as well which outlines what needs to be done at the various juvenile age groups

But as usual the Laois lads who don't seem to realise they are miles behind Offaly at this stage seem to know it all and be critical without having a clue what they are talking about

Laois man

Happy new year to all the viewers on the pageand hope all laois clubs have a positive year ahead.

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: tippmaninlaois on December 30, 2021, 08:28:25 PM

It's actually the opposite with buy in from the clubs,GDA's GPO's and the county management teams

There's a document circulating as well which outlines what needs to be done at the various juvenile age groups

But as usual the Laois lads who don't seem to realise they are miles behind Offaly at this stage seem to know it all and be critical without having a clue what they are talking about

Are you the Tipp man from the same category you mention above?

My point regarding the dev plan in Offaly for 13s to 17s is that its 40 burpees, x number of press ups and run for certain number of minutes. Grand to get club players moving but if theres no follow up or progression it will merely a drop in the ocean and will have little impact.

How is this being implemented/organised? Is there a structure to it.

tippmaninlaois

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on January 02, 2022, 10:21:19 AM
Quote from: tippmaninlaois on December 30, 2021, 08:28:25 PM

Are you the Tipp man from the same category you mention above?

My point regarding the dev plan in Offaly for 13s to 17s is that its 40 burpees, x number of press ups and run for certain number of minutes. Grand to get club players moving but if theres no follow up or progression it will merely a drop in the ocean and will have little impact.

How is this being implemented/organised? Is there a structure to it.

It's fairly obvious you don't have a clue what's going on in Offaly

So here's an idea for you

Seek out someone that's involved with juvenile development in Offaly,

Get the plan off them,not just the plan for this month

implement it in your own club

And stop trying to pick holes in a county that's doing something when laois is doing nothing

SpeculativeEffort

Ok but I asked you because you seemed to be indicating that you knew more about it.

Obviously you dont or I presume you would tell me here.

It turns out that neither of us know so we are both in the same position but at least I know where I stand.

I asked questions. I wasnt implying there was no plan but merely hoping you could provide further information.

Maybe you also need to seek further information instead of lauding a plan that you seem to know nothing about?

tippmaninlaois

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on January 02, 2022, 12:49:00 PM
Ok but I asked you because you seemed to be indicating that you knew more about it.

It turns out that neither of us know so we are both in the same position but at least I know where I stand.

I asked questions. I wasnt implying there was no plan but merely hoping you could provide further information.

Maybe you also need to seek further information instead of lauding a plan that you seem to know nothing about?

I've seen the document

I know what's involved

What don't you get up off your hole and get it

Rather than mouthing on some forum

Giovanni

I'd be astonished if our underage hurling teams hadn't been given a fitness programme. Are you saying they haven't??

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: tippmaninlaois on January 02, 2022, 01:53:11 PM

I've seen the document

I know what's involved

Reminds me of this:

Me: 'Have you seen the document?'

You: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=anIXLNIWRAs

😂😂😂

Spiritof86

Quote from: tippmaninlaois on January 02, 2022, 01:53:11 PM

I've seen the document

I know what's involved

😂😂😂😁 Jaysus 🤦‍♂️

redsetanta

tippmaninlaois very bitter because he had to migrate over to Laois. Shouldn't be stealing our women so!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Spiritof1915

Interesting game over the road in Carlow this Wednesday where Maynooth are taking on it carlow. Should be plenty of Laois players involved.
The more young players the county have exposed to this level of hurling is very important. I think the Fitzgibbon Cup is a serious platform for any inter County player.