Laois Senior Football Championship 2019

Started by The PRO, February 28, 2019, 09:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

les Antiques

Town1980 go home to bed and put the phone away :)

Portlaoise the better team with more quality but maybe a little lucky in the end. Killeshin had to come at them in the second half and did but lacked that cutting edge.

Few observations,  killeshin crowd outnumbered the town which frankly is a sad indictment of the football following in Portlaoise for a town it's size . But sure that's another story for a different day.
Saunders is definitely inter county quality.  Whether he committs
Is  another story.
Anyone see Quirke today accompanied by a couple of kerry and laois legends !? Doubt there back room material  😁
I heard Attride is off to Australia which if true will be a huge loss  to Laois And club .
Thought the Minor match had quality , definitely entertaining. 
Not sure who was saying otherwise.

High Fielder

Bizarre response Laoisabu. Almost like you welcome that. Portlaoise are of Laois and with your username I'm sure that's not lost on you. Granted the initial post was nonsensical, but seriously.....

blueandwhite1

Quote from: town1980 on October 13, 2019, 10:16:07 PM
Kilishin be very proud of the way yee played I am absolutely disgusted with the way we played unfit no aggression not our num one keeper playing slow our manager not even beside his team at the end I won't comment on how disjointed we were ,, the worst portlaoise performance in years I'm sorta raging  we won to show how bad we are and also it's showing in the support today for the town utterly shocking sorry rant over

That sums you up. No matter how badly my club play I always take pleasure in them winning. You obviously have no idea of the type of sacrifice that every player and club puts in to entertain the likes of you.

BallyroanAbu

Big Killeshin Crowd at match silence was eerie at the end of the game, I realize Portlaoise support is small but that was a poor show.  Thought Rogers could have been used earlier but anyway.

welcomehome

Well said blue and white..Cannot believe that them comments come from a true portlaoise supporter,propably should not be suprised..I no they didnt play well yesterday,but they won and that all that matters to us..Fair play to killeshin,prob should have deserved a draw..The experience won it for us,got the scores when it mattered..

portlaoisekid

Proud of the lads yesterday, they dug it out and when their backs were to the wall again they came out winners. Kileshin were very good and well managed.

Leinster is a different animal for portlaoise , tough draw but I feel if cahillane gets back in then portlaoise will drive it on again and hopefully give it a great shot.

Don Draper

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on October 14, 2019, 10:43:43 AM
Kilishin be very proud of the way yee played I am absolutely disgusted with the way we played unfit no aggression not our num one keeper playing slow our manager not even beside his team at the end I won't comment on how disjointed we were ,, the worst portlaoise performance in years I'm sorta raging  we won to show how bad we are and also it's showing in the support today for the town utterly shocking sorry rant over

That sums you up. No matter how badly my club play I always take pleasure in them winning. You obviously have no idea of the type of sacrifice that every player and club puts in to entertain the likes of you.

He. Is. A. Wind. Up. He. Is. From. Kildare.

The PRO

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on October 14, 2019, 10:43:43 AM

Thought we'd established that town1980 is from some shithole like Athy? f**king slagging off the best club team the county has ever seen. Fair enough, they are coming back to the field a bit but I thought they were a good bit the better team yesterday.

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on October 14, 2019, 11:03:17 AM
Big Killeshin Crowd at match silence was eerie at the end of the game, I realize Portlaoise support is small but that was a poor show.  Thought Rogers could have been used earlier but anyway.

Eerie is the word. The crowd applauded a small bit, then just left. I'd say there were around 150 people remaining when Portlaoise were lifting the cup. Astonishing really. 21,000 people in the parish and that's their support???

I thought I had predicted a dead-cat bounce for them back in 2016, but I didn't. I thought they were back in the pack after Stradbally won, but they resumed their winning ways. I think the county needs a shake-up. New clubs HAVE to emerge to start winning the senior title and with Portlaoise's (relatively) poor showing in underage football, they should drop back and we can have a football championship with 3/4/5 possible winners. Wouldn't that be great?

Don Draper

Quote from: Don Draper on October 07, 2019, 11:08:58 PM
Quote from: town1980 on October 07, 2019, 10:54:07 PM
It's not as if the lad hasn't been given a chance he is a lovely club footballer but I don't think he is an intercounty player he just doesn't have the physical aspect to his game like hatch Finlay last year good club men way off intercounty
Blow it out your hole you w**ker

Don Draper,

You have received a warning for insulting other users. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The gaaboard.com Team.

Seems an over the top reaction

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: Don Draper on October 14, 2019, 08:33:26 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on October 07, 2019, 11:08:58 PM
Quote from: town1980 on October 07, 2019, 10:54:07 PM
It's not as if the lad hasn't been given a chance he is a lovely club footballer but I don't think he is an intercounty player he just doesn't have the physical aspect to his game like hatch Finlay last year good club men way off intercounty
Blow it out your hole you w**ker

Don Draper,

You have received a warning for insulting other users. Please cease these activities and abide by the forum rules otherwise we will take further action.

Regards,
The gaaboard.com Team.

Seems an over the top reaction

Not a bit over the top, your insulting schoolboy comments are not funny and I've yet to hear from anyone who takes an interest in anything you say. Why exactly are you on this forum? You contribute nothing of interest to anyone and resort to insulting other posters to get yourself noticed...  WHY ???
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Neutralobserver

apart for the few that make money as in the three pubs in the town there is not a flag to be seen, senior county final - no houses with flags out, gaa pitch in rathleague nothing to say they are in a county final - should be adorned with green and white to encourage younger generation - portlaoise comittee should go to killeshin and see how they decorated the place, granted it was their first but still a senior county final is a senior county final and should mean something to a team to win it. just shows the support a big town has - very little and this does not support a bright future

welcomehome

I have never seen such negativity towards a portlaoise team.Not one person has congratulated  them on there great achievement...There are some team to come back year after year with the same hunger.As a portlaoise supporter i am so proud of each and everyone of them.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: welcomehome on October 15, 2019, 09:11:38 AM
I have never seen such negativity towards a portlaoise team.Not one person has congratulated  them on there great achievement...There are some team to come back year after year with the same hunger.As a portlaoise supporter i am so proud of each and everyone of them.

Very true. They deserve plaudits for grinding out the three in a row. I thought their goose was cooked against Portarlington, but they showed what champions are made of to come out on top.

Still, I have a suspicion that Portlaoise's era of dominance in Laois is coming to an end. When was the last time they won a Minor? I think they won an U-21 in 2013, but nothing since.

The likes of St Joseph's and Portarlington should be offering stiff competition over the next few years, while sides like Ballyroan Abbey, Emo and Courtwood won't be too far off either.

High Fielder

There are a couple of factors at play here. Most people resent what Portlaoise do in the same way as they resent Dublin. They believe that Portlaoise have far too many players available to them, and that being competitive is hard. They would be right, but here's the flip side of the coin. Portlaoise as a club are financially poor, so it could be argued that as a county and a club, we are not realising what we should from their massive pool of players. Of course the situation isn't helped by the insistence of senior clubs on staying as small entities, and as valiant as it is that Killeshin achieved what they did, it is not sustainable. And that applies to pretty much every club in Laois. There will be peaks, but mostly they will exist in the margins.

Portlaoise are not interested in being divided. I don't blame them for that. It could be argued that they have no real connect with their base, and the pathetic turnout on Sunday would be proof of that. I think we've all seen Rathleague literally thronging with kids and parents, but that doesn't seem to extend to supporting the Senior team. I have to say I don't understand that, because if ever a club was worth supporting, it must surely be Portlaoise, and in particular, that successful team. But no, you will find in Leinster that there as many non Townies as there are Townies supporting Portlaoise. Odd really.

So what is the answer? I don't think we have the answers, because we're not open enough to the idea of amalgamations. Most people would still rather support the local club than Parish sides or a few teams in together. Portlaoise are coming back to the field anyway, so that will keep most people happy. I'm not sure if that is going to have much effect on the quality, but that isn't a priority for most people who just want to see a different side winning the Championship. Portlaoise have failed to increase their own standards, and that's partly their own fault too. The Intermediates remain a bit of a wasteland, and for all their great ex players, I'm, not even sure that the Intermediates are training or are trained properly. That is one small fix they could make that wouldn't cost them the earth. On a broader note, the CB need to invest in Portlaoise, The attrition rate is huge, and lest we forget, this town represents approximately one third of our county's population. It is obvious that people feel disenfranchised enough to walk away, and that's something we need to stop. I have always believed that Portlaoise should have its own full time development officer, and I know that isn't going to be a popular suggestion.