Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: johnneycool on February 08, 2016, 11:48:32 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on February 08, 2016, 11:11:45 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on February 08, 2016, 11:05:02 AM
Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2016, 11:01:28 AM
Quote from: DennistheMenace on February 08, 2016, 09:36:06 AM
I read that since the Good Friday Agreement more people have died from suicide than the troubles.

More needs to be done.
saw that too. More dead in less time

Does put the issue in context, but there was plenty of suicides during the troubles as well.

In what context JC? To me its looks like apples and oranges.

The 2K odd deaths of the troubles are much lamented and rightly so, but the deaths from suicide are very much brushed under the carpet up until very recently.
There'll be nothing done on suicide and mental illness until its highlighted and put into black and white for people to comprehend.

The historical stats for suicides in Ireland are not very accurate though as anecdotally there were many cases of suicide that were recorded as accident or something else as there would have been ramifications for calling it suicide, eg burial issues, the sense of 'shame' and gossip culture, financial ramifications in respect of benefits etc. I wouldn't associate the numbers at all as they are not comparable.

No wides

Agree with brokencrossbar and also suicide was seen by the catholic church as a mortal sin and as such you were't entitled to a christian burial, so I am sure poor bereaved parents all over Ireland lied that it was suicide.

stiffler

Even to this day the number of suicides per published figures are understated.

For example if someone takes their own life by crashing a motor vehicle it may be recorded as a RTA.

A major problem in today's society, and more needs to be done across the board.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

seafoid

Quote from: stiffler on February 08, 2016, 05:05:36 PM
Even to this day the number of suicides per published figures are understated.

For example if someone takes their own life by crashing a motor vehicle it may be recorded as a RTA.

A major problem in today's society, and more needs to be done across the board.
There was an awful such case in the papers last week. Depressed 17 year old crashed his car into a car carrying a pregnant woman and her husband. Both mother and baby were lost.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

50fiftyball

There just simply isn't the money put into improvement in the mental health area, there was a young fella from County Derry last week took his own life. He apparently sought help for his depression and didn't get the help he was looking for, this isn't the first instance I've heard of this, the counsellors who are working in our health centre / GP's practice are over resourced and making an appointment with them can be as far as 5 and 6 weeks away, which is no good to someone seeking immediate help!!

seafoid

So much good being done to fight the stigma of mental illness with the cycle against suicide , ads on county jerseys, press articles, Pieta House etc but 2 fellas I was at school with were lost in the last 2 months .

Cunny Funt

Many here doing the darkness into the light 5km walk or run at 4:15am?

Red Hand Man

Bump

I've had my share over the years.

Not good tonight.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Red Hand Man on May 22, 2016, 12:31:45 AM
Bump

I've had my share over the years.

Not good tonight.

Keep the head up lad, have a chat with someone if they are around, about anything.

It will seem much better in the morning, and by the time tomorrow evening comes around we will have hammered them cnuts into the ground and all will be well in world :)

Red Hand Man

Thanks. Not so good when that game doesn't even raise the dander in me.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Red Hand Man on May 22, 2016, 12:44:46 AM

Red hand man, get talking to anyone at all if you can and if you cant, at least sharing your feelings on a forum like this is a brave step and you are the better man for it. There are many on here who will take you on board in all seriousness and sympathy.

Getting through tonight will be a step in the right direction and the atmosphere tomorrow will take care of itself.

There will always be people out there who will listen to you and support you at any hour of the day - even complete strangers  :D The more you reach out the more you will find this out I promise. And a number of people on here have had serious experience with depression and will volunteer plenty of advice and know exactly where you are coming from. However you get through tonight, just remember you are absolutely not alone and never forget it!
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

omaghjoe

Well you know what?

Go to bed now and get up tomorrow and if you werent intending to go tomorrow make a point of going to it, if it is in anyway possible. There is nothing like the first round of the championship, the smell of burgers and onions, fags, the crowds, the tension, the roar, the scores, the banter, the radio on the way home. Deadly stuff!

I dont know what way you are spiritually but Im at home with my daughter at the minute on the other side of the planet. And we will say a prayer for ye.

Gold

I agree with what the others have said. ..get yourself to that match tomorrow.  The craic and buzz is something you forget.  The ulster championship will lift you, as will we.

Plus, at least your not from Antrim...we'd to travel near 100 mile to get walloped ....but lose (as we do more than most) or win the craic and life at these (our) games is a form of escapism that lifts all of us.

Keep the head up and good on ya for reaching out. Keep reaching out, never stop
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

seafoid

it will get a lot better even if you can't see it at 3am

Red Hand Man

The posts here are greatly appreciated and they did help.

Going through a hard time right now. I've came through them before though.  I'll keep trying.