A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Indeed. I think some people need to look up the definition of recession.

armaghniac

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 18, 2020, 09:47:26 PM

Perhaps they think it means going bald.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

five points

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 18, 2020, 09:47:26 PM

The definition tends to vary depending on whether you're an economics professor or corporate analyst or you're just an ordinary person trying to make ends meet with an uncertain work outlook, a heavy mortgage, ballooning taxes and living costs, and a family to feed and educate. By the latter standard, Ireland has had a rough time of it over the last decade. Last week's election result demonstrates that in spades.

Rossfan

"Ballooning taxes"....
A neo liberal.
Neo liberalism caused the crash in 2008.
Was there any crash in Scandinavia or Denmark?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

five points

Quote from: Rossfan on February 19, 2020, 10:11:23 AM
"Ballooning taxes"....
A neo liberal.
Neo liberalism caused the crash in 2008.
Was there any crash in Scandinavia or Denmark?

Name calling and whataboutery.

Look hard enough and you'll find that the USC in particular is robbing people blind and there are all sorts of crises going on for families eg in putting kids through college and the recourse to dodgy PCP finance whenever a new car is needed. Essentially the few bob that parents used save for these and other eventualities is being hoovered up by the government. Where it will all end, I don't know but there might not be a happy ending.

If that's neo liberal, I'm happy to wear the badge.

five points

As for Denmark, this is on my twitter right now.

https://twitter.com/Murphdog11/status/1230069494736990209?s=20

Noel Lacey
@Murphdog11
·
28m
Replying to
@paddycosgrave
I call BS, lived in Denmark and didn't pay as much tax there as I do here. I had more disposable income in DK at end of month, and I'm being paid more here! On top of that my taxes paid for healthcare, childcare & decent public services .

trailer

Quote from: five points on February 19, 2020, 10:28:57 AM
As for Denmark, this is on my twitter right now.

https://twitter.com/Murphdog11/status/1230069494736990209?s=20

Noel Lacey
@Murphdog11
·
28m
Replying to
@paddycosgrave
I call BS, lived in Denmark and didn't pay as much tax there as I do here. I had more disposable income in DK at end of month, and I'm being paid more here! On top of that my taxes paid for healthcare, childcare & decent public services .

Paddy Cosgrave is definitely a prat.

Rossfan

Someone on €40k pays around  €1,100 USC.
Around €1900 PRSI
Around €5,500 PAYE.

Of course if we abolished the public health system, public education and social welfare  we could reduce those taxes and go back to the neo liberal paradise of the 1840s.
Must look up the history if those glorious days.

five points

Quote from: Rossfan on February 19, 2020, 12:00:28 PM
Around €1900 PRSI
Around €5,500 PAYE.

Of course if we abolished the public health system, public education and social welfare  we could reduce those taxes and go back to the neo liberal paradise of the 1840s.

Nobody would mind USC if they cut PAYE to compensate for it. But they didn't. And for many it's the straw that has broken the camel's back.  Referencing the 1840s in this context is staggering.

Anyway we've gone off-topic. Let's see how appealing the USC will be to our friends in the north.

trailer

Quote from: five points on February 19, 2020, 12:07:59 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 19, 2020, 12:00:28 PM
Around €1900 PRSI
Around €5,500 PAYE.

Nobody would mind USC if they cut PAYE to compensate for it. But they didn't. And for many it's the straw that has broken the camel's back.  Referencing the 1840s in this context is staggering.

Anyway we've gone off-topic. Let's see how appealing the USC will be to our friends in the north.

I'm happy to pay a lot more tax in UI as a business owner and employer.

five points

Quote from: trailer on February 19, 2020, 12:17:57 PM

I used to think that way too. But USC ain't that much fun eg when we've a health insurance renewal bill to pay.

Rossfan

Quote from: five points on February 19, 2020, 12:20:59 PM

I used to think that way too. But USC ain't that much fun eg when we've a health insurance renewal bill to pay.
And dont forget the "draconian " LPT of € 90 a year.
That will be the straw that stops a UI🙄😳.

If only I could move to England and pay Council tax of £1500 to £2000 per annum and £300 or more for water.

five points

Quote from: Rossfan on February 19, 2020, 12:43:15 PM
Quote from: five points on February 19, 2020, 12:20:59 PM

And dont forget the "draconian " LPT of € 90 a year.
That will be the straw that stops a UI🙄😳.

If only I could move to England and pay Council tax of £1500 to £2000 per annum and £300 or more for water.

LPT is a nothingburger for almost everyone. A lot of us are paying at least the equivalent of £300 for water though.

tbrick18

I'm seriously confused about the discussion on this thread  :o
There's seems to be a lot of anti SF rhetoric from posters north and south.
There seems to be an attempt by some posters in the south to put posters in the north off a UI due to the taxes.
There seems to be some posters from the north who are anti UI.

I'm not a massive SF supporter, but I do believe that formal discussion about a UI needs to begin before any UI poll so that people know what they would be voting for (unlike Brexit). Mary-Lou has said that she wants to start this and to me that is a sensible approach rather than just dragging everyone along with whatever their view of a UI is.

It feels like there are a lot of people who don't even want this discussion, but I'm not sure if that's because they genuinely don't want it or if it's because SF are the people calling for it.

Personally, I think all of these opinions need to be considered and should feed into a process of what a UI would look like.
Taxes, health care, governance...all that day to day mechanics of running a country and how both North and South would be affected financially.
There's seems to be an assumption that in a UI world, the Dublin government will set all the rules and that NI will fall in behind the taxation, health etc currently in place in ROI.
I'd guess things wouldn't be as simple as that. I could see a scenario where NI still exists in it's own right. In fact, it could be very similar to the situation today with Westminster being replaced by the Irish government with certain powers still being devolved to the NI Assembly. If you consider that that the Unionist population of NI would have to be catered for, I don't think this is beyond the realms of possibility as that type of government may make them more comfortable with the UI scenario.

All just thoughts and not intended to take away from anyone else's opinion.

Rossfan

The GFA says the dual Nationality thing will continue in the North in the event of a change of status.
That will require a continued different status for the 6 Cos.
As I said many times here over the years the new All Ireland State will likely be a Confederation of two semi autonomous/home rule areas of the present 6 and 26 Co areas .
A slimmed down Dáil and Stormont would run a lot of things in their areas while the "Confederation " would run major items.