Captain Obvious

Quote from: tyrone08 on April 15, 2023, 11:26:36 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 15, 2023, 11:23:43 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on April 15, 2023, 11:19:53 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 15, 2023, 09:17:03 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on April 15, 2023, 08:52:18 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on April 15, 2023, 08:30:53 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on April 15, 2023, 07:56:48 PM
Said it before. Rory is a one trick pony, very classless and it showed today. Same system as Donegal when he managed them, they have a few years left at this system but ultimately they will fail as its too difficult to maintain. Also the system relies on direction from Rory, not trusting the players to change it up as required.

Tell me how the Derry setup differs from pretty much every other county in the country...? Start with Tyrone sure

Easy. You don't see any other manger in the country roaring instructions at every second at their players. Shows he doesn't trust his players and also shows he wants it all about him. Also not every team rely solely on their starting 15, you seen what happened when glass went off against Dublin, Derry fell apart.

Tyrone can vary their attack by drifting in Con or Brian into the full forward for a long ball attack or via McCurry or canavan. Derrys attack relies on a pre set game plan.

Derry same as Donegal under Rory and Jim rely on their team getting ahead and keeping the lead. Derry can't claw back from behind as other top teams can.

Lol Con and Brian. 2 grafters. We'll see how good they are against Glass and Rogers. Kennedy won't have the legs.

We will see indeed. Ulster will be Derrys limit
Strange as it sound, I'd back Derry to beat Tyrone well, but I'd give Tyrone a better chance than Derry against the likes of Kerry/Galway/Dublin/Mayo.

I agree. Think Derry will win ulster but won't win an AI or get to a final. Tyrone won't win either. Think it's either mayo or kerry this year.
Mayo for the All Ireland, were you influenced by the Joe Biden speech last night?

JoG2

Quote from: tyrone08 on April 15, 2023, 11:24:26 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on April 15, 2023, 09:21:05 PM
Said it before. Rory is a one trick pony, very classless and it showed today. Same system as Donegal when he managed them, they have a few years left at this system but ultimately they will fail as its too difficult to maintain. Also the system relies on direction from Rory, not trusting the players to change it up as required.

Tell me how the Derry setup differs from pretty much every other county in the country...? Start with Tyrone sure

Easy. You don't see any other manger in the country roaring instructions at every second at their players. Shows he doesn't trust his players and also shows he wants it all about him. Also not every team rely solely on their starting 15, you seen what happened when glass went off against Dublin, Derry fell apart.

Tyrone can vary their attack by drifting in Con or Brian into the full forward for a long ball attack or via McCurry or canavan. Derrys attack relies on a pre set game plan.

Derry same as Donegal under Rory and Jim rely on their team getting ahead and keeping the lead. Derry can't claw back from behind as other top teams can.

Not easy then. Derry will leave a forward up the pitch from time to time, so that will fall into the 'varying the attack' as is rotating half backs into the forward area, also varying the attack. Gallagher may roar non stop but its more a nervous tick like the spitting than anything else. Most of the time the players don't even look in his direction when he's shouting at them
So, the lazy narrative is to say the Derry way when it's the way every county plays the game these days.
Derry 'clawed' their way back twice against Donegal in the Ulster final and against Dublin from 5 points down @ Celtic Park. Again, lazy analysis.

So your analysis is Derry beat a Donegal team on the decline and a Dublin team in Derrys home pitch.

"To claw, or not to claw? That is the question—Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The declining DL' s and arrows of outrageous fortunist Dubs".
Enjoy the game tomorrow t08. Should set up a mighty semi-final.

tyrone08

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 15, 2023, 11:36:44 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on April 15, 2023, 11:26:36 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 15, 2023, 11:23:43 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on April 15, 2023, 11:19:53 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 15, 2023, 09:17:03 PM

Lol Con and Brian. 2 grafters. We'll see how good they are against Glass and Rogers. Kennedy won't have the legs.

We will see indeed. Ulster will be Derrys limit
Strange as it sound, I'd back Derry to beat Tyrone well, but I'd give Tyrone a better chance than Derry against the likes of Kerry/Galway/Dublin/Mayo.

I agree. Think Derry will win ulster but won't win an AI or get to a final. Tyrone won't win either. Think it's either mayo or kerry this year.
Mayo for the All Ireland, were you influenced by the Joe Biden speech last night?

LOL. Every year is mayo year. Think they are in a good shout this year.

TomFun

Quote from: on the sideline on April 15, 2023, 08:56:57 PM
Who in the Fermanagh set up was Gallagher aiming his celebration at after the second goal? Can understand an instinctive reaction to celebrate a big score the way he did initially, when he turned to his own men, but he definitely carried it on and went even harder with it looking towards the Fermanagh bench. That was just the actions of a p***k.

The handshake with Donnelly at the end was also pretty curt and near enough a chest barge between them.

Why did Rory lose Fermanagh job? That's the question

PMG1

The Rory show was in full flow today, celebrating the goals against his home county like that was classless. I thought not letting the keeper speak after he got the MOM award showed a complete lack of trust in his players, if anyone speaks it's got to be Rory

shantygael

Quote from: JoG2 on April 15, 2023, 10:49:51 PM
Quote from: marty34 on April 15, 2023, 10:40:13 PM
Quote from: ONeill on April 15, 2023, 10:30:30 PM
Who was the anchor? She was excellent.

Yeah, she was good.

I like just 2 pundits as gives them more time each and go into more detail.

At the end, there was 4. Philly joined the other three and imo, it was too much. Everyone had to get a chance to talk etc.

Don't think Philly was meant to arrive late. Walked past us with about 20 mins to throw in with a sheepish head on him like a teenager arriving into school late. Must have hit traffic on the way up  :D
saw him too, looked like he was out for a walk in the park, coat in hand, still a legend though
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

Walter Cronc

I was hoping when Harte took the Louth gig that would be the end of him with the punditry. Murphy a great addition!

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: PMG1 on April 16, 2023, 01:44:35 AM
The Rory show was in full flow today, celebrating the goals against his home county like that was classless. I thought not letting the keeper speak after he got the MOM award showed a complete lack of trust in his players, if anyone speaks it's got to be Rory

Jeebus Rory gettin the blame for all! Ye ever think maybe the Lynch boy shy on it etc which is what i got from it. Plenty valid points about Rory on here but maybe not this one

Wildweasel74

I rather Gallagher talk away and let the players play the fball. Think to extend it takes pressure of the players, and if it goes belly up, he still stand up and take the blame.

p3427977

;D ;D

Walter Cronc

Slightly bending that to suit the narrative PMG. Watched it again and Lynchy nods to RG as if you can talk here I'm away. McGrogan spoke afterwards to BBC, Doherty spoke on OTB.

yellowcard

Gallagher is a lunatic on the sideline but apart from the constant spitting on his hands I wouldn't get too worked up about the rest of his antics. It's almost like he slips in and out of character when he dons the bainisteoir bib. He's an excellent coach with a proven track record and players enjoy playing for him.

tbrick18

Quote from: Walter Cronc on April 16, 2023, 08:07:43 AM
I was hoping when Harte took the Louth gig that would be the end of him with the punditry. Murphy a great addition!

Harte craves the attention.
He certainly seemed very angry at fermanagh yesterday.

As much as I don't want to like murphy, he's actually a really good pundit. Pick of the  bunch yesterday. Compared toe the rte pick, bbc are miles ahead.
The anchor was excellent.

Live commentary is excellent too.
Not as sure on gilligan or the presenter on the line, but in general a really good show.

Derry were slightly disappointing in the 2nd half
But the game was over so it could be that loss of focus was a result of that. I don't think we're as bad as that under high ball typically, but we were certainly ball watching for one of the goals.

As good as Lynch was yesterday, my motm was mcevoy.
Really strong in defence and attack, never put a foot wrong.

We need to get more out of Nial O too. Just doesn't seem to get the scores his hard work merits.
Benny looks to me like he may be used as an impact sub this year but likewise, needs to score more.

Silver hill

I don't get what Benny Heron adds to Derry or why Gallagher continues to share him or be the first sub in.
Conor Doherty was poor yesterday. As was Niall toner and Niall Loughlin.
Toner is too easy blocked and there isn't an end product for all Niall's endeavour.
McAvoy is a thoroughbred, class act.
Lynch was excellent yesterday but I still get nervous and think he will eventually get caught out.
Great to see Mccloskey getting a score. He's been brilliant and we can get more out of him as a scorer with his pace, especially fisted points.
Shane was excellent. A real threat.

screenexile

Quote from: Silver hill on April 16, 2023, 08:45:48 PM
I don't get what Benny Heron adds to Derry or why Gallagher continues to share him or be the first sub in.
Conor Doherty was poor yesterday. As was Niall toner and Niall Loughlin.
Toner is too easy blocked and there isn't an end product for all Niall's endeavour.
McAvoy is a thoroughbred, class act.
Lynch was excellent yesterday but I still get nervous and think he will eventually get caught out.
Great to see Mccloskey getting a score. He's been brilliant and we can get more out of him as a scorer with his pace, especially fisted points.
Shane was excellent. A real threat.

Yes you can probably question the ability of those 3 up front to rack up big scores but one thing they give the team is a ferocious work rate.

Maybe Murray/McWilliams/O'Donnell can offer more of a scoring threat but will they put the work in to get up and down the pitch as is required by the Derry game plan?