FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Watcher

Hopefully there will be a bit of a bounce with the new manager. Great to see Kenny getting his chance.  Only time will tell if it is the correct decision

BennyCake

Don't really follow LOI, so don't know a big pile about Kenny or his achievements. But I have a horrible feeling his appointment will be another nightmare similar to Steve Staunton.

Gabriel_Hurl

Except that Kenny has 1000x more managerial experience than Staunton ever did.

seafoid

Quote from: BennyCake on April 04, 2020, 07:22:13 PM
Don't really follow LOI, so don't know a big pile about Kenny or his achievements. But I have a horrible feeling his appointment will be another nightmare similar to Steve Staunton.

There are good young players coming through so fingers crossed
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

An Watcher

Stephen Kenny's teams punched above their weight everywhere he went. Hopefully he can continue this trend with Ireland. Looking forward to seeing how many young bucks he'll introduce.
Fair play to mick, did a decent job but in the circumstances, God knows when the play offs will be played. I think it is the right decision

Aaron Boone

Took Dunfermline to a Scottish Cup final. Remembered fondly in East End Park.

An Watcher

Nothing but good words about him both on and off the pitch with derry city. Dundalk had some unbelievable European results with him. Just hope it works out better than Brian Kerr, the last real LoI manager.

Itchy

Quote from: An Watcher on April 04, 2020, 09:41:23 PM
Nothing but good words about him both on and off the pitch with derry city. Dundalk had some unbelievable European results with him. Just hope it works out better than Brian Kerr, the last real LoI manager.

Thing is Kerr did ok with what he had.

laoislad

Quote from: An Watcher on April 04, 2020, 08:14:06 PM
Stephen Kenny's teams punched above their weight everywhere he went. Hopefully he can continue this trend with Ireland. Looking forward to seeing how many young bucks he'll introduce.
Fair play to mick, did a decent job but in the circumstances, God knows when the play offs will be played. I think it is the right decision
Should have been let finish what he started imo.
Saying that I'm looking forward to Kenny taking over, has some good younglads coming through.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Main Street

Quote from: Itchy on April 04, 2020, 09:52:50 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on April 04, 2020, 09:41:23 PM

Thing is Kerr did ok with what he had.
If Henry hadn't scored that fluke effort at Lansdowne rd there could easily have been 4 teams level on points in that 2006 WC qual group and the top 4 teams would have drawn all 8 games played against each other. Kerr came very close but it did feel deflated after failing to beat the Swiss at home in the last game.
I'd regard Kenny as a better coach and communicator than Kerr, he'll have no problem stepping up to this level, just the format of the competition and expectations, mean each game is do or die. Hopefully he'll have a few games before the play offs. I'm glad he's in, he's young (in relative terms), he's extremely ambitious to succeed and will put in the hours.

Mick got paid 440,000 for each of the 8 qualifier game he was in charge of, a total of Eur 3.6m  paid so far, no wonder he was grinning  madly as he exited with a large suitcase full of dosh. Yes I feel for his pain  ::)  oh how we treated him cruelly for those 2 wins against Gibraltar and the home win v Georgia.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: laoislad on April 04, 2020, 07:45:44 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 04, 2020, 05:13:10 PM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 04, 2020, 05:10:49 PM
MCCarthy is gone.

Stephen Kenny takes over.

https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/1246461746371538944

The correct decision?
I think it is very unfair on McCarthy.
Not really. There wont even be a training session dor the duration of his contract and nation league and WCQ games will be before the playoffs. That and it was a fairly meh campaign.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: An Watcher on April 04, 2020, 08:14:06 PM
Stephen Kenny's teams punched above their weight everywhere he went.
I think thats green tinted glasses. For every successful job he did like Dundalk and Dery there are terrible ones like Shamrock Rovers and Bohs.

I think he is an underdog manager. Can step into a smaller or struggling club and bounce it. But when he has gone into jobs with expectations there have been problems, especially with established players. He is a great manager, but are his skills transferable to international soccer,