Galway v Kerry. Super 8s Round 1. 15 July Croke Park.

Started by Mayo4Sam14, July 08, 2018, 12:30:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 10, 2018, 09:34:40 AM
Ah, Seafoid, Kerry this and Kerry that! Bar losing to Mayo in 2017. (Which Mayo huffed and puffed to do coupled with leaving Aido back in front of his own square to mind the physiologically fragile mindset of the Mayo player.) Kerry have lost to no one other than Dublin in the last half a decade or so in Championship! Their Croke Park record is very strong and they always know how to control games. There is a lot of talk about the young boys (media Speak) but Kerry will still have a plethora of old heads in responsible positions to steady the ship.

Kerry like playing the old Galway. Nice football, open football, not much cynical and always at arms length on the home strait. The new Galway may ruffle Kerry's feathers, but not enough to end their Croke Park hoodoo!
I dunno . If you look back over the last 15 years Kerry have been unable to live with Tyrone and now Dublin. That is not supposed to happen. I think they are taking a tactical approach now with a big dose of young players and that a couple of seasons may be lost in the name of experience.  They want to be there when the Dub empire collapses .
The S&C advantage is absolutely huge these days. If you can time your team well you can claim multiple Sams.

If Galway aren't good enough they aren't good enough.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

galwayman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 10, 2018, 10:33:22 AM
Last years performance was disgraceful, Galway were beaten before they left the dressing room and a despite a very average Kerry performance they won 8 points. Galway still though created a lot of chances, missed a lot of good goal chances and kicked some ridiculous wides.

I'd like to think Galway will do better on kickouts, last year Galway were annihailated on them; We lost so many of our own, let Kerry go short far too often and when they were forced to go long Kerry completely dominated. Galway have certainly improved on kickouts this year and there's clearly more of a plan in place so would expect to do far better on them. Peter Cooke & Jack Barry was a fair contest in the Sigerson should they both start although the only way I see Cooke starting is if KW starts with all 3 midfielders. Flynn was dire last July but does appear to have upped the ante this summer. Conroy needs a good game, he's been very average since the league final and that needs to change.

Who knows what Galway wil turn up though, I do think Galway have improved in the tackle and have turned more ball over this year and just look like more of a pest to the opposition in general but putting this into practice is whats its all about and during the first half against Roscommon this didn't happen.
I think we're undoubtedly an improved team this year.
Having said that I don't think we will hold the Kerry attack in Croker.
The major issue for me over the last number of years is not so much that we have lost the games (Kerry 2014 & 2017, Donegal 2015,Tipp 2016) - it's that we have completely died in the second half when the games were in the melting pot.
We didn't go down fighting.
I was at all of those games and it was very disheartening.
We'll need to give massive protection to our fb line to have any chance.
Dec Kyne is a real battler but in a one on one situation against any of that Kerry inside line he is in trouble.
And we don't have any bench reinforcements for that line either.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 10, 2018, 10:55:05 AM
Kerry won 5 of the last 15 Sams all the same.

One in the last nine seasons is of a lot more relevance than the exploits of players from 2004 who haven't played in years..

Manning18

Quote from: galwayman on July 10, 2018, 11:29:07 AM
Dec Kyne is a real battler but in a one on one situation against any of that Kerry inside line he is in trouble.

We need to give them a hand because Kerry FF is potentially awesome, and any team will need a bit of aid versus them. But it's not through any massive inadequacies in our FB line. It's such lazy analysis this perception out there that the Galway FB line is weak (not saying you personally were suggesting it). How many more top forwards does Kerin have to get the better of before hes considered top class? For all that SAC is raw, he's still been excellent this year and if a well above average FB at this stage. And for all we give out about Kyne, hes a lot more solid in the corner and has been quite good. If youre talking full forward lines vs Full back lines, id way prefer the match up of Burke/Comer/Walsh against the Kerry fb line than Clifford/Geaney/JOD against the Galway fb line.

It's further out the field that the issues arise. We got destroyed at midfield in the match up last year, and im very frightened of the prospect of Stephen OB and Sean OS being isolated against Bradshaw and Sweeney, far moreso than the FF line.

TheClubman

Really looking forward to this one. I think Galway are a really good side and look by far the most improved team in the country. I think Kerry are on the way to being a serious side....I'm just not exactly sure how far down that road they are. This game will give clues. I'm wondering will this vibrant but inexperienced Kerry attack be able to decode the Tally blanket? How long in the game will Galway opt for ultra defence this before they go toe to toe? Will Walsh start his best players or look to improve as the game goes on by bringing in quality replacements? And if he opts to go defensive from the outset and bring on power and pace in the second half can Kerry get ahead enough to short circuit his plans?

My head tells me Galway will win this but I've a funny feeling about this Kerry team. They could be on to something down there. Galway will need a better performance than they gave in Connacht but might just get there.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 10, 2018, 10:33:22 AM
Last years performance was disgraceful, Galway were beaten before they left the dressing room and a despite a very average Kerry performance they won 8 points. Galway still though created a lot of chances, missed a lot of good goal chances and kicked some ridiculous wides.

I'd like to think Galway will do better on kickouts, last year Galway were annihailated on them; We lost so many of our own, let Kerry go short far too often and when they were forced to go long Kerry completely dominated. Galway have certainly improved on kickouts this year and there's clearly more of a plan in place so would expect to do far better on them. Peter Cooke & Jack Barry was a fair contest in the Sigerson should they both start although the only way I see Cooke starting is if KW starts with all 3 midfielders. Flynn was dire last July but does appear to have upped the ante this summer. Conroy needs a good game, he's been very average since the league final and that needs to change.

Who knows what Galway wil turn up though, I do think Galway have improved in the tackle and have turned more ball over this year and just look like more of a pest to the opposition in general but putting this into practice is whats its all about and during the first half against Roscommon this didn't happen.
I think we're undoubtedly an improved team this year.
Having said that I don't think we will hold the Kerry attack in Croker.
The major issue for me over the last number of years is not so much that we have lost the games (Kerry 2014 & 2017, Donegal 2015,Tipp 2016) - it's that we have completely died in the second half when the games were in the melting pot.
We didn't go down fighting.
I was at all of those games and it was very disheartening.

I was over for all 4 games and and it was frustrating that in his 3rd year that we exiting the championship in the same manner as his 1st.

Its a huge match for Kyne, as you state we've no decent replacement so he'll be there for the rest of the championship but he's battling to retain his place for next year so he needs to play well. He did ok on Clifford in the league and would imagine he'll pick him up again with Kerins picking up JOD and Sean Andy on Geaney. That Kerry forward line and wing backs have a lot of pace so there's no way Galway are going leave much space inside their own 45. I hope Galway press the Kerry kickouts but thats not always possible,  from free's is obviously a lot easier to do then from a quick break. If Galway can be in the game at half time then they'll have set a good platform to try and win the game as I don't expect them to really go after Kerry in the opening quarter.

mouview

Quote from: Manning18 on July 10, 2018, 12:42:41 PM

We need to give them a hand because Kerry FF is potentially awesome, and any team will need a bit of aid versus them. But it's not through any massive inadequacies in our FB line. It's such lazy analysis this perception out there that the Galway FB line is weak (not saying you personally were suggesting it). How many more top forwards does Kerin have to get the better of before hes considered top class? For all that SAC is raw, he's still been excellent this year and if a well above average FB at this stage. And for all we give out about Kyne, hes a lot more solid in the corner and has been quite good. If youre talking full forward lines vs Full back lines, id way prefer the match up of Burke/Comer/Walsh against the Kerry fb line than Clifford/Geaney/JOD against the Galway fb line.

It's further out the field that the issues arise. We got destroyed at midfield in the match up last year, and im very frightened of the prospect of Stephen OB and Sean OS being isolated against Bradshaw and Sweeney, far moreso than the FF line.

I'd have more faith in our FB line (esp. if Kerins is fit) than the HB line; Sweeney has been way better than I'd give him credit for this year, but I fear that a pacy man will bring him on a tour; similarly Bradshaw loves attacking but is slow enough to turn and follow back if needs be. Allied to that, Conroy is no longer a midfielder, and CP seems to spook KW as a manager. I think we'll give a much better account of ourselves this time round, (and if by some chance we win, it would surely drive Kerry into the arms of Dublin in the semis), but it's a big ask.

Blowitupref

Intriguing contest Galway have been one of the form teams all year and the minimal requirement for them now is All Ireland semi spot and seeing that they haven't done that since 2001 the pressure is on them to deliver. Kerry the jury is still out on them they have taken the risk to introduce new and young faces into their starting team. Cork and Clare provided no challenge for them but all year they have been conceding a glut of goals and Galway forwards in Walsh,Comer,brannigan and Burke will all be looking for goals on Sunday.

Midfield battle will probably be the deciding factor in this game. Conroy,Flynn or Cooke v David Moran, Jack Berry. I presume Kerry will start Kieran Donaghy  on the edge of the square after all the problems he caused Galway last year so that should be a good test Sean Andy O Ceallaigh. How Galway mark Paul Geaney will be very important also in the league win v Kerry is was held scoreless i believe.

Finding it hard to call a winner so i'll sit on the fence and call a draw. Galway 2-12 Kerry 1-15
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy

Hoping we can put in a good performance anyway. I don't think winning the game is out of the question but obviously we need to take our chances which we did not to do against Kerry last year. We fluffed numerous goal chances that day and Kerry could just cruise to victory in the end. Quite a few changes to both sides since though between personnel and even coaching.

The Duggan injury is a bit of a blow as Galway have been rotating their 4 midfielders off the bench very effectively but we're now down to 3 and Conroy has maybe been the least impressive of all of them. He really needs a big game on Sunday as he's had a few no shows in Croke Park.

The fixture list hasn't been kind to us either. Kerry first followed by an away game. There's a possibility they could be out of by the time they even reach Salthill depending on results. Provincial champions should probably be guaranteed a home game in their first two Super 8 fixtures. As it is some of the teams that have come through the qualifiers have probably received a kinder fixture list. Donegal too are in a similar if not worse position with Dublin in CP followed by a trip to Roscommon.

Keane

GalwayBayBoy

Galway & Kerry have met 21 times in the Championship, ahead of Sunday's clash in Croke Park.

Kerry lead the head-to-head with 12 wins to Galway's 6, along with 3 draws.

All except one of their meetings have taken place in Croke Park

- 1913 All-Ireland SFC semi-final
Kerry 1-08 Galway 0-01

- 1919 All-Ireland SFC semi-final
Galway 2-06 Kerry 3-03
(Replay) Galway 4-02 Kerry 2-02

- 1938 All-Ireland SFC final
Galway 3-03 Kerry 2-06
(Replay) Galway 2-04 Kerry 0-07

- 1940 All-Ireland SFC final
Kerry 0-07 Galway 1-03

- 1941 All-Ireland SFC final
Kerry 1-08 Galway 0-07

- 1942 All-Ireland SFC semi-final
Galway 1-03 Kerry 0-03

- 1954 All-Ireland SFC semi-final
Kerry 2-06 Galway 1-06

- 1959 All-Ireland SFC final
Kerry 3-07 Galway 1-04

- 1960 All-Ireland SFC semi-final
Kerry 1-08 Galway 0-08

- 1963 All-Ireland SFC semi-final
Galway 1-07 Kerry 0-08

- 1964 All-Ireland SFC final
Galway 0-15 Kerry 0-10

- 1965 All-Ireland SFC final
Galway 0-12 Kerry 0-09

- 1984 All-Ireland SFC semi-final
Kerry 2-17 Galway 0-11

- 2000 All-Ireland SFC final
Galway 0-14 Kerry 0-14
(Replay) Kerry 0-17 Galway 1-10

- 2002 All-Ireland SFC Quarter-final
Kerry 2-17 Galway 1-12

- 2008 All-Ireland SFC Quarter-final
Kerry 1-21 Galway 1-16

- 2014 All-Ireland SFC Quarter-final
Kerry 1-20 Galway 2-10

- 2017 All-Ireland SFC Quarter-final
Kerry 1-18 Galway 0-13

Maroon Manc

Team wise I don't think this team will be too far off;

Lavelle
Kerins
Sean Andy
Kyne
Kelly
Bradshaw
Sweeney
Flynn
Conroy
Brannigan
Walsh
Heaney
McHugh
Comer
Burke

The usual suspects coming of the bench although Duggan is a loss, lets hope Daly is near full fitness as he could certainly make a huge impact.

seafoid

Quote from: Maroon Manc on July 12, 2018, 12:57:40 PM
Team wise I don't think this team will be too far off;

Lavelle
Kerins
Sean Andy
Kyne
Kelly
Bradshaw
Sweeney
Flynn
Conroy
Brannigan
Walsh
Heaney
McHugh
Comer
Burke

The usual suspects coming of the bench although Duggan is a loss, lets hope Daly is near full fitness as he could certainly make a huge impact.
This will be the real test of the new defence that was premiered in the league. Kerry have a lot to prove as well.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

GaillimhIarthair

Use of the bench and timing will be key on Sunday - Walsh has improved in this aspect so far in the championship so hopefully the lessons have been well learned from the league final!