Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Started by Angelo, October 22, 2020, 10:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will you get a Covid vaccine if one becomes available in 2021?

Yes
122 (71.8%)
No
48 (28.2%)

Total Members Voted: 170

bennydorano

Trying to equate Tories stances of 20 years ago with the Tories of today is frankly ludicrous, they've always been a 'broad church' to use their own parlance, the nasty pieces of work have always been there but they've generally been pissing into the wind until Brexit brought them to preminence. Social media has aided them unbelievably in the post truth world.

Milltown Row2

How's things going now? Seems to be going too quick  ;D

Easter time, those with the Vaccine will be able to travel
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

sid waddell

Quote from: bennydorano on November 21, 2020, 07:21:43 PM
Trying to equate Tories stances of 20 years ago with the Tories of today is frankly ludicrous, they've always been a 'broad church' to use their own parlance, the nasty pieces of work have always been there but they've generally been pissing into the wind until Brexit brought them to preminence. Social media has aided them unbelievably in the post truth world.
I don't think it is, even the more moderate Tories believed in a worldview that brought us the great financial crash, the Iraq War, privatisation of public services, de-unionisation, low wages, wide scale austerity and cuts, stupid "law and order" policies, the "hostile environment", massive house price inflation, basically they believed in all the stuff that led the world to 2016 and the rise of fascism in the west - which they were completely cannibalised by

In the same way that the Republicans' road to Trump started in the 1960s, the Tories' road to the fantasy land of Brexit started in the 1970s

Major was and is a decent enough person, but I'm not sure you can say that about many other Tory leaders since Heath

The Tories veered way right after 1997 - even Portillo was considered too "moderate" in the 2001 leadership election - and Cameron bringing them slightly back towards the centre was really only an election ploy

The toxicity had been building since Thatcher's time and it was the failure of and enabling by the so called Tory moderate wing that brought it out into its full rotten bloom

bennydorano

That is some reach Sid and I don't think you even believe it, it's really weak. The Tories have been a pretty standard centre-right parliamentary party, with standard centre-right policies enacted worldwide, until Brexit. I also think you're mixing long held Tory delusions of grandeur about just pretty much everything ever with the specific issue of Europe.

Also, half of the stuff you list, happened (or also happened)under Labour's watch. Cameron was Tory leader for 11 years, was as centrist as they come and a Blairite in all but name.

Hound

There is a curious phenomena that I've noticed more in recent times. Especially in the US, but not only in the US.
- People on the far right are very quick to paint everyone on the left as being on the far left.
- People on the far left are very quick to paint everyone on the right as being on the far right.

imtommygunn

This very much so. It's even apparent on this board too.

There seems to be no middle ground any more. One extreme or the other.

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: Hound on November 24, 2020, 01:15:01 PM
There is a curious phenomena that I've noticed more in recent times. Especially in the US, but not only in the US.
- People on the far right are very quick to paint everyone on the left as being on the far left.
- People on the far left are very quick to paint everyone on the right as being on the far right.

Association fallacy.

It's difficult to deliver zingers to moderate, nuanced arguments, especially within twitter's 280 character limit.

Much easier to pretend that everyone represents the most extreme, and most easily refuted, version of their arguments and to plan your attacks from that perspective.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

LCohen

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on November 24, 2020, 02:09:48 PM
Much easier to pretend that everyone represents the most extreme, and most easily refuted, version of their arguments and to plan your attacks from that perspective.

NI politics in a nutshell

APM

Was standing outside a takeaway Saturday night, talking to a fella beside me and the conversation turned to Covid.  This guy seemed normal, down to earth.  He told me quite matte-of-factly that the "vaccine alters human DNA, all you have to do is google and you'll see for yourself".  It was a bit of a conversation stopper to be honest. 

All of this craic reminds me of my school lessons on Edward Jenner and how some of the public responded to the administration of the Cowpox vaccine, perhaps one of the greatest innovations in the history of medicine.  I remember at the time thinking how irresponsible were the magazines that published images such as that below and how stupid were people to be sucked into it. 

Is it really any different today? People not accepting science and evidence and willing to believe any kind of crap they read on social media.  Media publishing just about any kind of shite to attract readership or to serve some other agenda. 

LCohen

The Tories have always been a broad church and that broad church has always included individuals on the "hard right". Far right gives connotations of racism, militarism and uniforms. I'm sure there are a few skeletons in the closet but not a movement within the party. The hard right in terms of economics and libertarianism has always been there. Migration, nationalism/separatism has buoyed it and given it a more powerful voice right now. There has always been some very unpleasant people in the Tory party but they now have a bit of sway

Seaney

My chemical engineering friend telling me tonight that within the industry all these firms are applying for indemnities in Europe against side effects, get the sleeves rolled up folks.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seaney on November 24, 2020, 08:32:53 PM
My chemical engineering friend telling me tonight that within the industry all these firms are applying for  indemnities in Europe against side effects, get the sleeves rolled up folks.

He's a lawyer also? Some boyo!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seaney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2020, 09:12:59 PM
My chemical engineering friend telling me tonight that within the industry all these firms are applying for  indemnities in Europe against side effects, get the sleeves rolled up folks.

You aren't getting one so hardly matters to you.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seaney on November 24, 2020, 09:17:40 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 24, 2020, 09:12:59 PM

You aren't getting one so hardly matters to you.

There's that many coming out I'll be getting one quicker than I thought!

You just keep that mask on, definitely an improvement

Seaney

Bless Milhouse can hug now over crimbo and get the vaccine in 2029