Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on June 10, 2018, 08:16:19 AM
Anyone else sign up for Dublin Marathon? Got one of the last few entries myself. Was only 600 places left according to their Facebook when I signed up!
Fair play. Biggest field ever this year it seems. Good luck with the training !

Avoiding it this year myself,, enjoying the shorter stuff at the minute.

imtommygunn

Bm for a man avoiding marathons a lot of your strava runs say MP ;D(unless i am misunderstanding what mp means!!)

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 10, 2018, 10:14:23 AM
Bm for a man avoiding marathons a lot of your strava runs say MP ;D(unless i am misunderstanding what mp means!!)
A lot of of his Strava runs leave me thinking how the feck can his easy pace runs be faster than my all out red zone runs  :-[ ;D
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ballinaman

Ah MP is only a guide. Following jack daniels running formulae book for the training!
I'm definitely staying away from marathon this year...got a right sickner last year !

imtommygunn

Quote from: ballinaman on June 10, 2018, 03:32:09 PM
Ah MP is only a guide. Following jack daniels running formulae book for the training!
I'm definitely staying away from marathon this year...got a right sickner last year !

;D I was wondering if you had got the itch again. I always think people should get the shorter times down and then go for the marathon. Your shorter stuff is going well so should stand you in good stead for whenever you next tackle a marathon!

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 10, 2018, 03:43:46 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on June 10, 2018, 03:32:09 PM

;D I was wondering if you had got the itch again. I always think people should get the shorter times down and then go for the marathon. Your shorter stuff is going well so should stand you in good stead for whenever you next tackle a marathon!
Hopefully ...although winter training for Manchester next year could be torture!
Going to give the 5k PB another crack mid July !
Going well yourself, fair play!

imtommygunn

There's very few good 5ks up north - you guys are spoiled!

Getting there but still making up for a lot of lost time.

The weather has been pretty unfavourable for fast marathons with the heat this year plus the freak boston weather. I feel sorry for people chasing times. With london good for age getting a lot harder a lot of people are cramming them in too.

An Gaeilgoir

Just wondering if anyone has signed up for the Gaelforce ultra on June 23rd?

magpie seanie

Hill training - never did it but have read about it and understand the benefits. I'm a plodder but by my standards I've built a decent base over the last 4/5 weeks and run 3 times a week. My goal is the Warriors Run (14km up and down a mountain, tough event) on August 25th, firstly to complete it successfully and then, if possible in a better time than last year. I think if I continue the way I am I'll achieve both those goals. I can feel the improvements in me with the training are more rapid than last year when I was recovering from major surgery. I do think though that one of my runs could be a hill circuit and I'm planning to do the following - comments welcome.

Tough hill that's about 250m long and reasonable steep. It's about a 1.5k from the house. Planning to jog gently to the hill, run up it (good form, strongish pace), walk or jog back down and repeat x 2 (3 times total). Then I'll jog home the long way (about 3k). Aim to do this once a week and add a rep. does this sound reasonable?

My other training in the week: I do a long (slow) run at the weekend (up to 10k this week, adding a km each week) and a run with a group on Wednesday that can be easy or tempo depending on how the body feels (about 5-6k).

3 times is about the most I can fit in.

laoislad

Hill repeats won't do you any harm. I was gonna say they wouldn't hurt but they will..... A lot.!
If you're running up a mountain I'm sure they will be of even more benefit to you.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

manfromdelmonte

There's a great forest run for training in Mullaghmeen forest near Castlepollard in Westmeath - close to Cavan and north Meath too. Two different marked routes.
the hill out the back will test anyone 60 degree+ climb

Don Johnson

If you were doing a 10k in the evening what prep would you advise for the day before and day of the race?

mrdeeds

Quote from: Don Johnson on June 19, 2018, 10:02:44 AM
If you were doing a 10k in the evening what prep would you advise for the day, before and day of the race?

Eat right and lots of water. Day before could go out and do a 1km run with heel kicks and high knees to activate muscles. Keep feet up after that. On day before race a good warm up and good stretching.

magpie seanie

My hill repeats went well. Did 3 and will do it again next week and go for 4. It's a perfect hill for these.....about 230m and gets steeper as you go up. Nice change to my training.....will see how the legs are tomorrow.

Don Johnson

First 10k race tonight. Was a whole lot tougher than any of my practice 10ks in the run up. I'd three weeks off training at the end of May start of June due to getting married so was almost happy with my time but now fancy bringing it down.