The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on January 28, 2019, 01:35:40 AM
Quote from: whitey on January 26, 2019, 06:34:10 PM

Actually I'd be more in favor of a life sentence myself

I wonder what kind of sentence you're going to want for Trump when his time comes.

Im good with whatever sentence Mueller and the prosecutors arrive at

Kickham csc

Quote from: sid waddell on January 27, 2019, 01:25:54 AM
Lolzers  ;D

the Democrats have to be careful now.

bill Clinton was hit the same way after an initial shutdown, only the Republicans  tried to screw him which resulted in a second shutdown and a massive victory for Bill (as the rep were seen as not acting in the best interests of the country)

If the Democrats don't find a solution that could at least counter that narrative, then on the 15th of Feb, Trump could shutdown the government and blame it totally on the democrats, as he's "tried to negotiate, he compromised with the bill to reopen the government with the intent to discuss the wall but that didn't happen)

Up until now, Nancy has played a blinder, but they have only won the battle, not the war

sid waddell

Quote from: Kickham csc on January 28, 2019, 09:53:09 AM
Lolzers  ;D

bill Clinton was hit the same way after an initial shutdown, only the Republicans  tried to screw him which resulted in a second shutdown and a massive victory for Bill (as the rep were seen as not acting in the best interests of the country)

If the Democrats don't find a solution that could at least counter that narrative, then on the 15th of Feb, Trump could shutdown the government and blame it totally on the democrats, as he's "tried to negotiate, he compromised with the bill to reopen the government with the intent to discuss the wall but that didn't happen)

Up until now, Nancy has played a blinder, but they have only won the battle, not the war
Trump blames the Democrats for everything.

Nobody's listening anymore.

He owns it and he's on record as owning it.

"The wall" is a Reichstag fire.

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on January 28, 2019, 10:08:49 AM
Lolzers  ;D

Trump blames the Democrats for everything.

Nobody's listening anymore.

He owns it and he's on record as owning it.

"The wall" is a Reichstag fire.

Trump spent January insisting there was a crisis and nobody bought it

Then he ceded national security to a blonde union leader with balls

The GOP is broken

https://mobile.twitter.com/RanttMedia/status/1088585041763098624
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

J70

Lolzers  ;D

If Trump shuts down the government again, that's his decision, not the Democrats. He is president, not king. He tried the thuggish blackmail route once already. Why would he think it would turn out differently next time?

The Democrats will have their position.The Republicans will have theirs. For something to pass both chambers, some compromise will have to be reached. That compromise, if there is one, will land on his desk. Whether or not he signs it is entirely up to him. The Democrats are under no obligation to sign off on everything Trump wants, just as he isn't under any to sign off on everything they want. Hopefully the last month put some manners on him and he now realizes the way the system works.

Personally, I've no issue with giving him money for fences/walls in vulnerable areas, as well as for the hi-tech stuff to assist the CBP. As long as he gives something worthwhile in return on the Dreamers and TPS people. I expect that will be the sticking point for him, just as it was last year when was offered the full 25B for the "wall".

I also hope one of these bills setting legislation to prevent shutdowns passes also. Its time to remove that particular ransom demand from the GOP bag of tricks.

Kickham csc

Quote from: J70 on January 28, 2019, 11:21:28 AM
Lolzers  ;D

If Trump shuts down the government again, that's his decision, not the Democrats. He is president, not king. He tried the thuggish blackmail route once already. Why would he think it would turn out differently next time?

The Democrats will have their position.The Republicans will have theirs. For something to pass both chambers, some compromise will have to be reached. That compromise, if there is one, will land on his desk. Whether or not he signs it is entirely up to him. The Democrats are under no obligation to sign off on everything Trump wants, just as he isn't under any to sign off on everything they want. Hopefully the last month put some manners on him and he now realizes the way the system works.

Personally, I've no issue with giving him money for fences/walls in vulnerable areas, as well as for the hi-tech stuff to assist the CBP. As long as he gives something worthwhile in return on the Dreamers and TPS people. I expect that will be the sticking point for him, just as it was last year when was offered the full 25B for the "wall".

I also hope one of these bills setting legislation to prevent shutdowns passes also. Its time to remove that particular ransom demand from the GOP bag of tricks.

It's all about positioning. Trump thought that the macho "I'll own the shutdown", would show that he is a lead taking on the evil democrats, but Nancy completely used that sound bite, and the blame was 100% focused on Trump, and the Dems didn't do anything wrong to change that narrative. If the come across as too aggressive in the next couple of weeks, that image could reverse. (as per the Bill Clinton shutdown)

some compromise will have to be reached ... Totally, that's the critical point. The two houses need to come up with a some compromise, then Trump is on the hot seat.

legislation to prevent shutdowns .. I agree, however this could lead to political gridlock

GOP bag of tricks.  It's not a GOP bag of tricks... it's a Washington DC bag of tricks used by both Rep and Dems alike ( name a president that hasn't had a shutdown)

J70

If the GOP are not the happier, more tactical, users of shutdowns, we'll see how enthusiastic they are to legislate away their use as blackmail tools.

Kickham csc

Dolph1

Quote from: J70 on January 26, 2019, 01:12:08 AM
Quote from: Dolph1 on January 25, 2019, 10:00:02 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 25, 2019, 08:00:15 PM
Quote from: Dolph1 on January 25, 2019, 07:58:33 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 25, 2019, 07:53:56 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 25, 2019, 07:33:32 PM
After all that, he caves again! ;D ;D

Was it worth it Donald? You're right back where you where before Xmas.

And that puts to bed any doubts there was about Pelosi as new Speaker. I shared them, but fair f**ks to her; she played a blinder. And if he shuts it down again, leave the **** hanging in the wind again. This use of federal workers as hostages has to stop.

He may finally have done something that will cost him re-election

I think all the Republican business Travellers trying to get home on a Friday may have been the tipping point-lol

Maybe not. People are seeing that the democrats don't actually give a f**k about them and are completely focused on supporting illegals first.

Poor foxy. Your boy folded like a cheap suit!  ;D ;D

If you disagree with President Trump then don't take the federal paycheck he's giving you.

My wife earns her cheque. She doesn't owe Trump anything except her competence and best effort at her job. She certainly doesn't owe him any personal or political loyalty. You know, like any other civil servant...

I'm sure she had earned it as do all civil servants. Doesn't change the fact that Nancy would rather you starve to death on her principles than even attempt to negotiate.
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

Dolph1

Quote from: whitey on January 26, 2019, 04:42:03 PM
Just saw that darling of the left, Democratic Congresswoman Ilham Omar once lobbied for lenient sentences for Somali men who tried to go to join ISIS in Syria back in 2015

You do have to wonder at the people who voted her into power.

So what's your policies?
Helping ISIS.

Seems to be a growing trend on the left.

Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

J70

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 28, 2019, 03:09:34 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 26, 2019, 01:12:08 AM
Quote from: Dolph1 on January 25, 2019, 10:00:02 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 25, 2019, 08:00:15 PM
Quote from: Dolph1 on January 25, 2019, 07:58:33 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 25, 2019, 07:53:56 PM
Quote from: J70 on January 25, 2019, 07:33:32 PM
After all that, he caves again! ;D ;D

Was it worth it Donald? You're right back where you where before Xmas.

And that puts to bed any doubts there was about Pelosi as new Speaker. I shared them, but fair f**ks to her; she played a blinder. And if he shuts it down again, leave the **** hanging in the wind again. This use of federal workers as hostages has to stop.

He may finally have done something that will cost him re-election

I think all the Republican business Travellers trying to get home on a Friday may have been the tipping point-lol

Maybe not. People are seeing that the democrats don't actually give a f**k about them and are completely focused on supporting illegals first.

Poor foxy. Your boy folded like a cheap suit!  ;D ;D

If you disagree with President Trump then don't take the federal paycheck he's giving you.

My wife earns her cheque. She doesn't owe Trump anything except her competence and best effort at her job. She certainly doesn't owe him any personal or political loyalty. You know, like any other civil servant...

I'm sure she had earned it as do all civil servants. Doesn't change the fact that Nancy would rather you starve to death on her principles than even attempt to negotiate.

No, Pelosi told Trump to open the government, THEN they'd negotiate. By giving in to him, she would have effectively been selling out the government workers by encouraging Trump to use them as hostages again and again when he didn't get his own way. Now, assuming he has some capacity for learning, he'll think twice about that and step back from his cavalier attitude towards government shutdowns and employees (I wonder does he still think that America could use a good long government shutdown, as he stated on several occasions last year?).
Further, part of the reason Trump ended up giving in was that the public saw through his bullshit and overwhelmingly, and appropriately, blamed him. After all, it was HIS choice to shut it down when he backed out of signing the pre-Xmas deal he'd earlier indicated he would allow through.
Finally, Pelosi PASSED legislation to refund the government and pay the federal employees. That, along with the deal Trump rejected at the last minute in December, meant that the funding had passed BOTH chambers. The only impediment was Trump and his fear of Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter and their ilk.

screenexile

Poor Ann is in bad form over it . . . great to see!!

Therealdonald

Quote from: Dolph1 on January 28, 2019, 03:15:04 PM
Quote from: whitey on January 26, 2019, 04:42:03 PM
Just saw that darling of the left, Democratic Congresswoman Ilham Omar once lobbied for lenient sentences for Somali men who tried to go to join ISIS in Syria back in 2015

You do have to wonder at the people who voted her into power.

So what's your policies?
Helping ISIS.

Seems to be a growing trend on the left.

The GOP seems that their policy was to create ISIS by going into Iraq and Afghanistan in the first place.

screenexile