Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on March 23, 2024, 08:46:07 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on March 23, 2024, 07:56:04 PM
Quote from: erinsboy on March 23, 2024, 06:05:30 PMArmagh 7-16
Antrim 0-02
Another bad result for our underage set-up.
Armagh wouldn't be known for being an underage powerhouse, which makes this result standout for me.
Another horrendous beating, and as you say Armagh are no big shakes. Apathy from top to bottom. I genuinely don't know where you'd even start to fix this as we've fallen miles behind and it's been decades in the making. A multitude of issues.

Armagh had success at u16 level last year I believe and have hope to follow that through to minors, with aidan o rourke taking the reigns this year. I would say they are decent enough tbf.

Armagh U15 had success in 2022 also. It's a group capable of winning the Ulster minor title however with Aidan O'Rourke in charge I have my doubts that will happen.

bannside

Those couple of recent results further emphasise the necessity for the formation of a football sub committee, headed up by a DOF who is hungry for success and the energy to drive change. Otherwise the gap will only get bigger.

County executive need to make this a priority, otherwise we are destined to endure the same, if not worsening level of mediocrity for future generations, new Casement Park or not.

Pressure on seniors to deliver today is ramped up even further now, a drop to Division Four is simply not fathomable.

EOC1923

If we ever had a football sub committee  their first job should be to reduce division 1 to 8 teams. There are so many sub standard teams in there, at least 4 of them would be in Division 3/4 in any other county and it's doing no one any favours, them or other teams that strive for better.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: EOC1923 on March 24, 2024, 08:41:04 AMIf we ever had a football sub committee  their first job should be to reduce division 1 to 8 teams. There are so many sub standard teams in there, at least 4 of them would be in Division 3/4 in any other county and it's doing no one any favours, them or other teams that strive for better.

Is this after your game yesterday?  ;)

I think it's going  back at some point.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

erinsboy

Quote from: EOC1923 on March 24, 2024, 08:41:04 AMIf we ever had a football sub committee  their first job should be to reduce division 1 to 8 teams. There are so many sub standard teams in there, at least 4 of them would be in Division 3/4 in any other county and it's doing no one any favours, them or other teams that strive for better.

From where I see things the grading problem starts long before seniors.
Is there another county in Ireland that doesn't do grading until U16 cause that's what happening in our league structure now.
Our neighbouring counties have grading at go-game level !!
So yes coaching massive problem and not easily fixed overnight but having so many non competitive games right up to the age of 16 now is a shambles.
How can kids progress progress if they aren't getting competitive games each week which is what happens in non graded league structures.

As for losing today=disaster.

SaffronSports

Quote from: erinsboy on March 24, 2024, 10:30:04 AM

From where I see things the grading problem starts long before seniors.
Is there another county in Ireland that doesn't do grading until U16 cause that's what happening in our league structure now.
Our neighbouring counties have grading at go-game level !!
So yes coaching massive problem and not easily fixed overnight but having so many non competitive games right up to the age of 16 now is a shambles.
How can kids progress progress if they aren't getting competitive games each week which is what happens in non graded league structures.

As for losing today=disaster.

Pretty sure go games hurling is graded in North Antrim. I know when my wee lad was there his team would put a team in the top and third grades if they had enough boys.

imtommygunn

Good, and important, win today. We made hard work of it but definitely deserved the win. Picked up a few injuries again which didn't help but good to get McCann and Haynes some game time at least. Wicklow when they went at us did pose a few problems- I think we maybe struggle at full back - but when we got McBride and /or Jordan in a bit of space we caused them a good few problems too.

I think down will be too much for us but if we can get more boys back then hopefully we can get a run in the tailteann. If we get enough back for the down game maybe we can give them a rattle but I think we're missing too many.

bannside

That was some victory today, only the oul hans will recall the back and forward, nip and tuck, we've had with Wicklow over a 20 year span. To come out on top is brilliant, to achieve our major priority of securing Div 3 status is just fantastic.

6 points in this competitive division with such a depleted squad is a superb achievement, go lads and enjoy your night, thoroughly deserved.

Superb performances from most, Big Eunan at FB, Kavan at CB (who would have foreseen it) Joe at HB, Hynds boys looking better very game, Decy Lynch running the show and Paddy McBride playing out of his skin.

Happy as a sand boy tonight, and make no apologies for it. Up the Saffrons.

imtommygunn

It was a good win bs. I don't get to many games at the minute so a few boys would have been new to me but kavan at corner back is a real warrior of a boy. Definitely merits his place.

Agree with most of what you say and would have to add I still think Jordan is maybe the best we have. Also I was impressed by hand when he came on.

bannside

Jordy a class act no doubt ITG and 100% agree, Conor Hand didn't put a foot wrong when he was called in. That's the danger of giving shout outs, Ryan McQuillan a baller too, great future in Saffron.

So many lads getting game time that mightnt have if a full complement was available 

As a man beside me in the stand pointed out, we finished that game without a player from Cargin Portglenone or Creggan. Who could have foreseen it?

statto

Quote from: Ethan Tremblay on March 23, 2024, 08:46:07 PM
Quote from: Sportacus on March 23, 2024, 07:56:04 PM
Quote from: erinsboy on March 23, 2024, 06:05:30 PMArmagh 7-16
Antrim 0-02
Another bad result for our underage set-up.
Armagh wouldn't be known for being an underage powerhouse, which makes this result standout for me.
Another horrendous beating, and as you say Armagh are no big shakes. Apathy from top to bottom. I genuinely don't know where you'd even start to fix this as we've fallen miles behind and it's been decades in the making. A multitude of issues.

Armagh had success at u16 level last year I believe and have hope to follow that through to minors, with aidan o rourke taking the reigns this year. I would say they are decent enough tbf.

the team is backboned by a number of dromintee lads who won the Paul McGirr,so while traditionally Armagh haven't been great at underage this should be a decent side.

paddyjohn

Good win today for the men's senior team and the Belfast ladies team!

Super Sundays indeed

Milltown Row2

Quote from: paddyjohn on March 24, 2024, 08:53:15 PMGood win today for the men's senior team and the Belfast ladies team!

Super Sundays indeed

Teams holding the county to ransom?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Round or stuffed

Quote from: Saffron_sam20 on March 08, 2024, 11:12:49 AM
Quote from: Round or stuffed on March 07, 2024, 07:38:32 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 07, 2024, 06:44:38 PM
Quote from: Round or stuffed on March 07, 2024, 05:47:30 PMwhat about division 2 and 3?

Starts 23rd/24th
who are favourites for promotion/relegation

o'Dees will win Div 3 fairly handy I think

Div 2 Lisburn for the drop and Sarsfields should win it
who stood out in the opening weekend