What Rule changes should the GAA introduce for football if any ?

Started by johnpower, October 01, 2011, 12:16:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Would the name of the game not give ye handpass lovers a little clue as to why so many people are against its overuse. ;)

Sure hurling could be a "great game"  too if they only stopped using them oul' stick things.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Stevie g 8

they should make the rule that a free stands no matter what,you often see players being fouled and then he retaliates and then its a throw up

INDIANA

Quote from: J70 on October 01, 2011, 04:05:34 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on October 01, 2011, 03:30:24 PM
Quote from: J70 on October 01, 2011, 02:01:31 PM
The last time they restricted hand passing, down to three consecutive, in the league in the mid-90s, Donegal and Derry reached the league final!

Who the f**k wants to watch four handpasses then an aimless panic punt to no one in particular up field (and this will happen to all teams)? There is plenty of that shite to see on reruns on TG4.

simply will force teams to perfect their kicking and for players to make better runs. some teams are obviously afraid of this.

Or some teams, like all others, want to play to their strengths, playing the type of football their players have grown up with. There hasn't been a word about changing the handpass rule in years and if Donegal hadn't had the success they did this season, there still wouldn't be a word about it. Kerry handpass plenty too, as do lots of other counties. This is all about the mass defending, which Dublin themselves use successfully, so it comes obviously down to degree. Why not restrict the number of defenders? Make it man on man. It would be a more worthy trial than the handpass  one, which has been tried and failed before (coincidentally or not, after Donegal and Derry's success), and will so again. PLreferably, they'll just restrict themselves to sensible issues such as the square ball rule.

to retain the game as football. its necessary.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Max 3 handpasses in a row, might be very difficult to govern.

2 refs to ensure there is always a referee with the play.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Rossfan on October 01, 2011, 05:12:49 PM
Would the name of the game not give ye handpass lovers a little clue as to why so many people are against its overuse. ;)

Sure hurling could be a "great game"  too if they only stopped using them oul' stick things.

There's about 7 flavours of football in this world, only one of them predominantly uses the foot to deliver the ball. There's hardly any kicking in Rugby or American Football but they're still types of 'football.'  The name of the sport derives from the medieval pastimes they evolved from. They were played by the common people on foot as opposed to the games that were played by the nobles on horseback.

I don't think hurling is ever going to evolve into a predominantly handpassing game, there's just too many advantages to using the stick.

mylestheslasher

I don't think its the hand pass that annoys people. It's the 5 yard flicks over and back  without going forward. It s boring and ugly imo.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

4father

Quote from: thewobbler on October 01, 2011, 12:59:10 PM
Wrong Indiana.

Teams will adapt because the levels of commitment required to play defensive football bring no fun, and so far, little reward. There aren't enough players in the country interested in playing such a system for it be able to flourish.

Five years ago, Jose Mourinho's 'defence first' tactic was being mooted as the way forward for soccer. Then Barcelona came along.

I really wish people you had enough confidence in our game to allow it to peak and trough organically. Fast forwarding 'fixes' through the rules brings nothing but confusion and disenchantment.

Couldn't agree more.

What will happen if the limited hand pass rule thing comes into force is that other teams will become more defensive knowing that a kick will be coming after the limited amount of handpasses or you will then see tokenistic kick passes so that the handpassing can start again.  What is wrong with a team working the ball out of defence with the hand.  Its good football!!  It would be wrong to coach a kid who is under pressure after their teams 3rd or 4th handpass that he has to kick it.  What if there is no kick pass on and that the right thing to do is a handpass??

Teams not in possession would find a way to manipulate that rule and to use it to regain possession.  There would then be more swarms!  A daft and a lazy idea that is simply pondering to the wishes of certain media critics.  Not thought through and i believe it would do worse to the game.

If I had to make some small technical changes, the time clock / buzzer should be introduced to take that responsibility out of the referee's hands.  Any time i have refereed, it was the thing i hated most.

Also leave the mark to the Aussie Rules.  The game would become far too technical with management simply sticking their 8 foot player on top of the smallest man in the forward line and it would become a hoofing session instead of seeing goo interplay.  As a 5 foot 9 man, I have often marked taller people than me.  Their strength was their height possible and mines was my ability to 'stop him catching' or by planning my tackle for when he did catch it, surely i shouldnt be getting punished because my man is taller than me.

4father

Quote from: Jinxy on October 01, 2011, 10:04:50 PM
I think Hawkeye can count handpasses.

But they can't do hawkeye in Mallusk when Ardoyne are playing St Galls 3rds.  The rules should be the same for all age groups and levels not just for our elite.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on October 01, 2011, 10:04:50 PM
I think Hawkeye can count handpasses.

You're unbridled enthusiasm for Hawkeye won't make it happen any sooner.

INDIANA

its interesting that most of the objections are northern based.

Eamonnca1

Here's another thing about the blanket defence. Armagh came up with a solution to it years ago, I don't know if it's still in use or not. Your man goes up for a high catch, and already he's surrounded by opponents. But instead of catching it he just deflects it down to his man who's waiting in the wings, a man that became loose because his opponent was getting into the swarm.

If you don't like the blanket defence, use a bit of imagination and devise a way around it! Don't go crying to mummy looking to change the rules!

INDIANA

I'll console myself Eamon that we have the all-ireland title sitting in Dublin.

And we needed to be able to kick the ball over the bar to do so.

muppet

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 01, 2011, 08:54:36 PM
There's about 7 flavours of football in this world, only one of them predominantly uses the foot to deliver the ball. There's hardly any kicking in Rugby or American Football but they're still types of 'football.'  The name of the sport derives from the medieval pastimes they evolved from. They were played by the common people on foot as opposed to the games that were played by the nobles on horseback.

So Polo is a form of Arseball?
MWWSI 2017