Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 30, 2018, 11:03:26 AM
Quote from: westbound on May 30, 2018, 10:32:40 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 29, 2018, 10:42:23 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on May 29, 2018, 06:06:04 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 29, 2018, 03:46:53 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 29, 2018, 03:39:50 PM
Quote from: mup on May 29, 2018, 03:11:05 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 29, 2018, 02:47:11 PM
Cian O'Neill is Moorefield. He's not a mercenary blow in.

However he is living in Cork.

Rumours are that he will have some sort of role with Munster Rugby next year.

Has he attended many Kildare club game the last few years when living in Cork? He must be getting good traveling expensives out of this Kildare senior gig.

You do know Roli Sweeney is his main selector, who actually still played senior club championship last year. Cian was at a lot of games. Kildare have the best players available bar a couple of young lads.

That's the really depressing thing. Apart from Ben McCormack (and maybe Eoin O'Flaherty and Ollie Lyons), the most talented players are on the panel. They were all available for selection on Sunday with the exception of Neil Flynn. There are a few like Shea Ryan, Conor Hartley and Ryan Houlihan who might improve the panel but they would hardly be nailed on starters. Paul Mescal is unlikely to ever play football.

Maybe there are a few out there who might not be as talented but are mentally tougher and more resiliant? James Murray springs immediately to mind. Are Matt Kelly and Jamie Flynn up to it Dinny?

The best performers in the first round of the county championship included Paudie O'Neill and Johnny Doyle. Moorefield will be the team to beat again and they are backboned by players like Daryl Flynn, David Whyte and Roli. For all the talk of young talent in the county, a lot of them haven't kicked on since minor level. Luke Flynn is on and off the senior panel as is Mark Sherry. McMonagle isn't even guaranteed a start for Clogherinkoe. Wayne Fitzpatrick doesn't appear to be on the radar either.

Jamie is a bit loose, think the pace of  inter county would be a struggle, Matt Kelly scores 2-7 against Naas in the league 10 days ago, was unplayable, his conditioning has improved but would be better in an inter-county setup. There seems to be an issue with lads not living in Kildare though, that did for Fitzpatrick too.

What club is Matt Kelly? What position was he playing against naas?

Round Towers. God don't ask me to nail his position, he started as part of a front 2 and was allowed roam out the field to pick up loose ball, he scored a couple of monster points as well.

Best known for this rocket, 3 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHFPFIw_Yh4

Thanks Dinny. I remember that goal. Didn't remember his name tho!

thejuice

Leinster MFC round 3

Meath 4-14
Louth 0-12

Dublin 2-11
Offaly 0-10

Wicklow 2-20
Westmeath 2-4

Laois 0-10
Carlow 0-10

Longford 2-17
Wexford 0-7
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

Wicklow 2-20 Westmeath 2-4???????

Offaly gave the Dubs a good run. Was level with about 8 to play. 2 late goals won it.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 30, 2018, 09:13:31 PM
Whats going on there... is Tommy Carr back managing a Westmeath team again?

Jinxy

Another good win for our lads.
Racking up some big scores.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

shark

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 30, 2018, 09:24:40 PM

When he was Westmeath minor manager they made their first Leinster minor final in 13 years. Usually it's the case of the talent not being there. However there were expectations around this group after St.Mary's Mullingar won the all-Ireland u16 A. Also, Wicklow are clearly no bad team.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: shark on May 31, 2018, 08:18:57 AM

When he was Westmeath minor manager they made their first Leinster minor final in 13 years. Usually it's the case of the talent not being there. However there were expectations around this group after St.Mary's Mullingar won the all-Ireland u16 A. Also, Wicklow are clearly no bad team.

Reason that group made the first Leinster minor final in 13 years was because there was good work done with them up to u16 level where they won the Gerry Reilly and the Fr Manning Cup.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/sport/gaa/articles/2011/09/22/4006822-westmeath-down-the-dubs-to-retain-gerry-reilly-crown

Carr saw an opportunity to get involved with a decent team and had the county board eating out of his hands. The management who had done all the heavy lifting were jettisoned and Tommy Tom Tom was parachuted in to the young fellows horror (there was talk amongst themselves of not playing). They had an easy run to that Leinster Final where a Brendan Hackett managed Kildare team absolutely took them apart in the final while Tommy Tom Tom looked on with his hands stuck in the pockets of his shorts.

Not sure what the reason for 3 defeats from 3 is for this group but it certainly doesn't augur well. Least the u20s beat Wexford, no thanks to Kelly bringing Coyne on for the seniors. We'll see how they get on against the Dubs in Parnell Park next Monday.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on May 31, 2018, 09:55:04 AM

Reason that group made the first Leinster minor final in 13 years was because there was good work done with them up to u16 level where they won the Gerry Reilly and the Fr Manning Cup.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:http://www.westmeathindependent.ie/sport/gaa/articles/2011/09/22/4006822-westmeath-down-the-dubs-to-retain-gerry-reilly-crown

Carr saw an opportunity to get involved with a decent team and had the county board eating out of his hands. The management who had done all the heavy lifting were jettisoned and Tommy Tom Tom was parachuted in to the young fellows horror (there was talk amongst themselves of not playing). They had an easy run to that Leinster Final where a Brendan Hackett managed Kildare team absolutely took them apart in the final while Tommy Tom Tom looked on with his hands stuck in the pockets of his shorts.

Not sure what the reason for 3 defeats from 3 is for this group but it certainly doesn't augur well. Least the u20s beat Wexford, no thanks to Kelly bringing Coyne on for the seniors. We'll see how they get on against the Dubs in Parnell Park next Monday.

Not too well I suspect. I don't think it's a particularly strong group. But if a few of them step up to senior that's all that really matters. I expect Carr's son to be one of them  ;)

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: shark on May 31, 2018, 10:02:45 AM

Not too well I suspect. I don't think it's a particularly strong group. But if a few of them step up to senior that's all that really matters. I expect Carr's son to be one of them  ;)

The Dubs will be formidable no doubt, how we fare will indicate where this group are at. Good to see a Westmeath man of solid stock in charge, time we implemented the same structure at senior level.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

We (Tipp) played the U15 team in a challenge last year. I liked the look of quite a few of them, including a young Seery lad from Ballinagore. I know they are a year 'below' but would they be that far off playing at the moment?

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 01, 2018, 10:58:39 AM

We (Tipp) played the U15 team in a challenge last year. I liked the look of quite a few of them, including a young Seery lad from Ballinagore. I know they are a year 'below' but would they be that far off playing at the moment?

Seery is corner back on the u17 team this year. There are certainly a few u16s playing. I imagine though that we will see less u16s playing u17 then we previously saw u17s playing u18, across all counties. A lot of growing happens from 16 to 17 so the physical gap may be bigger.
Or maybe I'm talking rubbish.

Jinxy

HT in Navan.
Meath 0-08
Kildare 0-09
Sounds like a good game.
Meath doing well around the middle but Kildare more clinical in front of the posts.

Jinxy

Maroon Manc

Is Jack Robinson playing for Kildare U20's? I saw him against Mayo at minor level 2 years ago and he was easily the best player on show.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Gone travelling, nearly certain he is underage next year though.