Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Esmarelda on February 23, 2017, 05:12:58 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 23, 2017, 04:59:25 PM
Is a semi final a bigger step than getting a hiding off Mayo or Tyrone in Thurles in a last 8 round robin game? Is that the question?

If it is I think you know the answer.
My point/question is this. You're making it a major deal, for a county's progress, to make a semi-final because it suits your argument.

What I'm saying is that a county might progress just as much in the long term by playing three of these Super 8 games as they would playing in a semi-final. And please don't start with the black & white argument that getting to a SF is better than getting to a QF. I'm aware of that.

But again, look at how you're wording your question; "getting a hiding" of Mayo. Let me flip it around for you. Would it be more beneficial for Tipp to play three games and get a win, a draw and a narrow defeat than get "a hiding" in the AISF?

I don't think getting to the Super 8 every year in 10 is going to help in any way in the long term (the same as getting to a SF one year in 10 tbf). The idea behind the qualifiers when they came in was to give the counties who traditionally only got the one championship game each year a second day out. This was laudable but the downside is that if a stronger county got caught out they got a second bite at the cherry. This super 8 proposal purposely sets out to make the strong counties even stronger as the counties who will benefit most from it are those who will make the last 8 year upon year. We already have huge imbalances from coaching to funding to seeded draws to Dublin having the keys to Croke Park and now HQ are trying to put another road block in front of the smaller counties. Westmeath did their bit for the association last night by agreeing to vote against it, hopefully the remaining counties follow suit.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Keyser soze

Does any of you have a round robin in their championship? How does it work?

Derry tried it about ten years ago, it was hurriedly ditched without fanfare after a couple of years, as it was a complete disaster. It was replaced with a back door, which has now been ditched at Senior level as well, and has gone back to straight knockout. As far as I recollect the same or a similar thing happened in a number of other counties as well. [though i do not have a great memory lol]

I think that it is unfathomable that Duffy should now bring this forward as a solution to any perceived ills existing in the GAA as I just cannot see what the rationale for such a move could be given that this format has been proved not to work

In GAA more people come to watch championship football because it is do or die and the pace and intensity is a step up from league football. This is true at any grade of football, club or county. If you change championship to a league format you will lose all the things that make a championship a championship.

I can see some merit in suggesting rationalizing the draw outside the traditional provincial structures to provide a more level playing field [sorry] or even splitting the championship into Senior and Intermediate, not that i agree that we should do this, but of all the possible solutions this round robin proposal is the stupidest possible outcome.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Keyser soze on February 24, 2017, 09:54:55 AM

Derry tried it about ten years ago, it was hurriedly ditched without fanfare after a couple of years, as it was a complete disaster. It was replaced with a back door, which has now been ditched at Senior level as well, and has gone back to straight knockout. As far as I recollect the same or a similar thing happened in a number of other counties as well. [though i do not have a great memory lol]

I think that it is unfathomable that Duffy should now bring this forward as a solution to any perceived ills existing in the GAA as I just cannot see what the rationale for such a move could be given that this format has been proved not to work

In GAA more people come to watch championship football because it is do or die and the pace and intensity is a step up from league football. This is true at any grade of football, club or county. If you change championship to a league format you will lose all the things that make a championship a championship.

I can see some merit in suggesting rationalizing the draw outside the traditional provincial structures to provide a more level playing field [sorry] or even splitting the championship into Senior and Intermediate, not that i agree that we should do this, but of all the possible solutions this round robin proposal is the stupidest possible outcome.
I thought most counties have a round robin in the championship, at the start!

Esmarelda

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 24, 2017, 09:47:44 AM
Is a semi final a bigger step than getting a hiding off Mayo or Tyrone in Thurles in a last 8 round robin game? Is that the question?

My point/question is this. You're making it a major deal, for a county's progress, to make a semi-final because it suits your argument.

What I'm saying is that a county might progress just as much in the long term by playing three of these Super 8 games as they would playing in a semi-final. And please don't start with the black & white argument that getting to a SF is better than getting to a QF. I'm aware of that.

But again, look at how you're wording your question; "getting a hiding" of Mayo. Let me flip it around for you. Would it be more beneficial for Tipp to play three games and get a win, a draw and a narrow defeat than get "a hiding" in the AISF?

I don't think getting to the Super 8 every year in 10 is going to help in any way in the long term (the same as getting to a SF one year in 10 tbf). The idea behind the qualifiers when they came in was to give the counties who traditionally only got the one championship game each year a second day out. This was laudable but the downside is that if a stronger county got caught out they got a second bite at the cherry. This super 8 proposal purposely sets out to make the strong counties even stronger as the counties who will benefit most from it are those who will make the last 8 year upon year. We already have huge imbalances from coaching to funding to seeded draws to Dublin having the keys to Croke Park and now HQ are trying to put another road block in front of the smaller counties. Westmeath did their bit for the association last night by agreeing to vote against it, hopefully the remaining counties follow suit.
I'm not sure why you're talking about one year in ten. If Westmeath got to the last eight in 2018 and had a game in Cusack Park against Mayo/Tyrone/Dublin/Kerry, a game against, say, Galway in Croke Park and a game against say Donegal in Breffni Park, do you not think that would promote the game in the county just as much as getting to a semi-final? Who knows how the county would build on that in the coming years. My point is that the Super 8 proposal doesn't seem to be a hugely, if at all, inferior place to be than an AISF.

You talk about the Super 8 making the stronger teams stronger. How? Do you mean by letting them have a potentially third chance? This is another example of where everyone has different complaints about the current system. One of the many areas that Duffy tried to address with this was the complaint that the only teams that didn't get a second chance in the All-Ireland series were the provincial champions. If you read the proposal, you'll see all of the issues that an attempt has been made to address. This is one of them.

Ultimately, on this thread and elsewhere, I think the general view is that those against it are so for factually incorrect reasons or for the reason that it doesn't solve everything.

I believe that's it's not perfect because it's impossible to be so, but that it condenses the season, gives players back to their clubs earlier and should be trialled for three years.

All interested parties can use the intervening period to make suggestions and have discussions for the next exciting episode.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 24, 2017, 10:09:27 AM

I really like our system. 16 team senior and intermediate championship.

Round 1  - Open Draw

8 games - 8 losers, 8 winner

Round 2 - Open draw

4 losers v 4 losers

The 4 losers go into relegation play-off semi-finals
The 4 winners go into round 3

4 winners v 4 winners

The 4 winners go into Q/F
The 4 losers go into round 3 to play the "loser" winners, not allowed draw team previously played.

Round 3

4 Loser winners v 4 winner losers

4 teams in to q/f

Q/F onwards straight knock-out. Every game is competitive with meaning. Each team guaranteed 3 championship (inc relegation p/o) 

#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 24, 2017, 10:29:19 AM

Round 1  - Open Draw

Round 2 - Open draw

4 losers v 4 losers

4 winners v 4 winners

The 4 losers go into round 3 to play the "loser" winners, not allowed draw team previously played.

Round 3

4 teams in to q/f

Q/F onwards straight knock-out. Every game is competitive with meaning. Each team guaranteed 3 championship (inc relegation p/o)

It's a great system. Hard to believe there were a few club delegates who wanted it changed not so long ago.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Rossfan on February 24, 2017, 09:38:15 AM
Like everything in life, business, government etc it's all about getting the right BALANCE.
Isn't it up to Co Boards who are made up of delegates from Clubs Central Council made up of delegates from Counties and the annual Congress to ensure the balance is met between the obvious need for money and the neEdstaston of the games/players etc.?
Obviously a lot of people think the 8s is good for the games.
I think any round Robin in the AI championship should be for the other 24 which would be better for the game but could well be a flop financially.

I agree Rossfan. It's about Balance. I just think it's weighted towards financial considerations more than competitive balance (no pun intended) or the 'good of the game' a lot these days.

I don't think they are trying to hurt the games, of course, but I think they think along the lines of 'this will increase revenue by x% and the clubs/counties can just change this to allow/accomodate it'.

Also, I hope this doesn't need to be said, but I will anyway just in case, I don't believe people on here advocating for changes like this are in any way ignorant of the needs of the game. I know we're all involved and just have different opinions on the best way to do things, but I believe we are all coming at it from the perspective of the games.

It's my opinion that a bit of that has been lost in HQ since they realised they need to be professional about running a business, even if the business itself is an amateur one.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 24, 2017, 10:32:11 AM

Round 1  - Open Draw

Round 2 - Open draw

4 losers v 4 losers

4 winners v 4 winners

Round 3

4 teams in to q/f

It's a great system. Hard to believe there were a few club delegates who wanted it changed not so long ago.
Sounds a good system all right.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Esmarelda on February 24, 2017, 10:21:15 AM

I'm not sure why you're talking about one year in ten. If Westmeath got to the last eight in 2018 and had a game in Cusack Park against Mayo/Tyrone/Dublin/Kerry, a game against, say, Galway in Croke Park and a game against say Donegal in Breffni Park, do you not think that would promote the game in the county just as much as getting to a semi-final? Who knows how the county would build on that in the coming years. My point is that the Super 8 proposal doesn't seem to be a hugely, if at all, inferior place to be than an AISF.

You talk about the Super 8 making the stronger teams stronger. How? Do you mean by letting them have a potentially third chance? This is another example of where everyone has different complaints about the current system. One of the many areas that Duffy tried to address with this was the complaint that the only teams that didn't get a second chance in the All-Ireland series were the provincial champions. If you read the proposal, you'll see all of the issues that an attempt has been made to address. This is one of them.

Ultimately, on this thread and elsewhere, I think the general view is that those against it are so for factually incorrect reasons or for the reason that it doesn't solve everything.

I believe that's it's not perfect because it's impossible to be so, but that it condenses the season, gives players back to their clubs earlier and should be trialled for three years.

All interested parties can use the intervening period to make suggestions and have discussions for the next exciting episode.

Because that's how often on average the weaker teams make the last 8, check the graph posted earlier. In your example, no, I don't believe those 3 games would promote the game anywhere near as advancing to a stage of the championship we have never reached before. We'll have to agree to disagree, a SF appearance trumps over 3 games at last 8 level for me.

Super 8 will make the stronger teams stronger as they will have 3 tough games at the highest level each year where they can refine their systems, processes and performances. The provincial champions not getting a second chance is a bit of a red herring. Everyone gets one chance to win their provincial championship. They then get another chance to win the AI. Everyone is in the same boat.

The reason people are against it are not that it doesn't solve everything. The reasons people are against it are:

• It makes the strong stronger
  • The players are against it
  • We are locked into it for the next 3 years
  • The CPA don't get a chance to fix the fixtures (Since no one else will despite their promises)
  • It's designed to make money rather than being for the betterment of the association
  • Hurling will be completely overshadowed while all these Super 8 games are going on
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Rossfan

We have 2 groups of 6 at Senior and Inter.
A strong group and a weak group.
Top 2 in strong group go to Semis,  3rd and 4th in strong group and top 2 in weak group play Qtr Finals.
Bottom 2 in strong group relegated to weak group replaced by top 2 in weak group. Bottom 2 in weak group relegation play off.
AZ - I agree that people here proposing different systems are thinking what's best for the games.
I still think the best logical long term solution is Senior/Inter and Junior AIs at Inter County - while keeping the Provincials open to all and having some sort of League early in the year.
However what's the best achievable in the intervening 40 years?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

manfromdelmonte

Round 1  - Open Draw

Round 2 - Open draw

4 losers v 4 losers

4 winners v 4 winners

Round 3

4 teams in to q/f

I like it
the first match is really important and each round has an element of knockout to it

Rossfan

I like Croí's point about overshadowing the hurley stuff. Sure that could all be played in May and June and get them out of the way :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Fuzzman

As has been said on here before there seems to be lots of people wanting different things and not everyone can agree what are the main problems to solve.

You can see the different attitudes in Gaels from those who deal with underage teams to the hard working club chairman, to the county manager who will often put his team's needs before those of what's best for the clubs and of course there are those at the top presidential and business levels who might say they want to help the grassroots but often make higher level choices.

The GAA know that Dublin is their golden goose and so it has always been in their interests to get as many matches as possible with the Dubs in Croke Park with a huge crowd. It takes in a great income from match attendance and now also from TV revenue and sponsorship. This new system will ensure an extra game for Dublin against another provincial winner (should Dublin be lucky enough to win Leinster of course) and against a qualifier whereas before it would just have been a quarterfinal against a qualifier.

The biggest loser (at county level) in this new system is definitely the underdog teams like Tipperary last year who might occasionally beat a big team like Cork or Galway but if they are in a group with 2 provincial winners then you would be very surprised if they would come 2nd in the group. As a Tyrone man I think the new system will suit us much better whether we are a provincial winner or a qualifier. Actually the idea of playing the Dubs or Kerry in Omagh/Clones if we were a qualifier would be very exciting.

There seems to be a feeling that once this is voted in that they won't be able to say No to it in 3 years again if people aren't happy with it. For me personally I think it's still too easy for Kerry and Dublin to get to a semifinal compared to Ulster sides. It would be an interesting group if you had Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone and Mayo should Tyrone and Mayo not win their provinces.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 24, 2017, 10:59:35 AM
Quote from: Esmarelda on February 24, 2017, 10:21:15 AM

Because that's how often on average the weaker teams make the last 8, check the graph posted earlier. In your example, no, I don't believe those 3 games would promote the game anywhere near as advancing to a stage of the championship we have never reached before. We'll have to agree to disagree, a SF appearance trumps over 3 games at last 8 level for me.

Super 8 will make the stronger teams stronger as they will have 3 tough games at the highest level each year where they can refine their systems, processes and performances. The provincial champions not getting a second chance is a bit of a red herring. Everyone gets one chance to win their provincial championship. They then get another chance to win the AI. Everyone is in the same boat.

The reason people are against it are not that it doesn't solve everything. The reasons people are against it are:

• It makes the strong stronger
  • The players are against it
  • We are locked into it for the next 3 years
  • The CPA don't get a chance to fix the fixtures (Since no one else will despite their promises)
  • It's designed to make money rather than being for the betterment of the association
  • Hurling will be completely overshadowed while all these Super 8 games are going on
But if you reach the AISF once in ten years is that any use? I don't follow the logic.

I agree we should agree to disagree on the next point.

Would the weaker teams not benefit from playing better teams in a similar way that you say the strong teams will? Again, we hear a lot about how the weaker teams need to be exposed to a better standard. Like I said, the argument are all very conflicting.

The CPA has certainly complicated matters by trying to come to the table so late. I think it's reasonable for them to wait the three years to come up with a better proposal. There's no evidence that hurling will overshadowed. The GPA are against it which is definitely noteworthy, although strange considering the number of elements it's addressed.

Anyway, we'll see what happens. I hope some of it goes through and then at least we can see how it goes.

Syferus

It's incredible that a proposal opposed by both players' unions, supporters and pretty much any club that has its own best interests at heart has a massive chance of being passed at congress.

A democracy is something the GAA is very far from.