Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 21, 2017, 10:15:30 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 21, 2017, 06:15:21 PM
Get rid of the league, keep the provincials and create a championship that would guarantee every county a minimum of 6 games on a Champions League format.

Cue the ability to lose a few games and win the All Ireland debate.

It would but we've been here before when the structure was changed in 2001. Its not possible to keep the provincials and expand the championship for everyone without getting rid of the league.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on February 22, 2017, 09:56:10 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 21, 2017, 09:50:17 PM
Tipperary voted to support the proposals tonight, despite a strong statement from Liam Kearns against the motion.

Saw that, Duffy's trip to Tipp to influence the hurling crowd was worth it in the end. Mayo and Kerry going to support the stupidly named Super 8s too. Never thought I'd say it but fair play to Cork, they are voting against it. Only thing the Super 8s has going for it IMO is that the GPA are supposed to be coming out against it. Maybe there is some merit in it there somewhere so.

Cork voting against it shows how much control the hurling side of the house have there. The fact that Cork voted against it despite the fact that it would have more than likely meant  more games (cash ) for the over budget new stadium says a world.

Zulu

Quote from: trileacman on February 22, 2017, 12:32:50 AM
Judging by the way your rhyming off players who left gaa for rugby or soccer it's obvious your pre-occupied by both of them. I'll leave you to dream up a "format  that reflects modern society", whatever the fcuk that's supposed to mean. More than likely it's one with group stages, sin bins, bigger goals and a rule preventing anyone from handling the ball bur the goalie.

The facts will be though in 10 years Leitrim will still be shite and getting hammered, there still be an elite set of teams, clubs will still be at loggerheads with the counties and we'll have another plethora of experts fit to fix all the ills of the world with things like seeding and 5 dedicated matches a year.

Is having an interest in other sports a bad thing or anti-GAA? As it happens I have hardly any interest in either sport but that's neither here nor there. I've laid out what I'd like to see and while it isn't perfect and sacrifices some things that others wouldn't it solves many of the issues we have at both club and county level.

You're right, some teams will always struggle (same in every sport) and as long as there isn't total separation between club and county there will still be issues. However, that doesn't mean we can't improve the situation and compete and develop in the modern sports world. You know the one with rural depopulation, longer working hours, less stay at home mothers, massively increased exposure to TV/online sport, increasing obesity and drop out of sport etc. Alternatively we could all try to live in your Darby O'Gill-esque world where Mammies see off their sons from the house front door as they skip down the road with their Dad, gear bags in hand. Maybe saluting a friendly farmer as he passes by on his tractor before arriving at the pitch where the whole village have turned out to support the U8's in their league game.

yellowcard

Do we know what way the vote is likely to go at this stage? I think everything at this stage is just mere speculation and I'm hopeful that the statements of the CPA in recent days will have influence in getting the 1/3rd support needed to prevent this motion from passing. Otherwise I think this has the capability of being a massive own goal for the GAA and will lead to a further divide between the GAA hierarchy and the grass roots.

Dubhaltach

Quote from: yellowcard on February 22, 2017, 02:18:47 PM
Do we know what way the vote is likely to go at this stage? I think everything at this stage is just mere speculation and I'm hopeful that the statements of the CPA in recent days will have influence in getting the 1/3rd support needed to prevent this motion from passing. Otherwise I think this has the capability of being a massive own goal for the GAA and will lead to a further divide between the GAA hierarchy and the grass roots.

Out of interest, what's your main objection to these proposals going through?

I can see some logic in the CPA argument that they don't go far enough and that the can is being pushed down the road for another 3 years. But this is GAA Congress were talking about, no radical proposal is getting through there for another couple of decades. As far as I can see the only real changes proposed here are an extra 8 matches in July/August played at provincial venues. Grounds that are lucky to see one big match a year at present.

manfromdelmonte

I cannot see the smaller counties voting for this, nor the stronger hurling counties

and with Cork voting no, does it have much of a chance getting the % needed?
I hope not

Donnellys Hollow

Kildare will be for it. The vote was tied and the chairman gave the casting vote in favour.

I hope it doesn't get the 2/3s needed.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

twohands!!!

Breakdown

For
Kerry
Tipperary
Mayo
Kildare

Against
Cork

Jinxy

Apparently, we're voting in favour of it as well.
We've been promised a box of bulbs for the floodlights in Navan.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mrdeeds

Would it not make more sense to change the majority needed to 50% plus one rather than a two thirds first anf then any new proposals can be passed more easily.

Esmarelda

Quote from: Dubhaltach on February 22, 2017, 05:40:11 PM

I can see some logic in the CPA argument that they don't go far enough and that the can is being pushed down the road for another 3 years. But this is GAA Congress were talking about, no radical proposal is getting through there for another couple of decades. As far as I can see the only real changes proposed here are an extra 8 matches in July/August played at provincial venues. Grounds that are lucky to see one big match a year at present.
I'd like to know the answer to this question to all those opposed.

What I mean is, regardless of what anyone thinks the ideal solution is, do you think that the current system is better or worse than the new proposal?

thewobbler

Quote from: mrdeeds on February 22, 2017, 08:50:24 PM
Would it not make more sense to change the majority needed to 50% plus one rather than a two thirds first anf then any new proposals can be passed more easily.

This is the exact reason why it's in place.

Think about this. If a motion is passed with 50.01% of the vote, then we can fully expect a counter motion the following season and two small brown envelopes is all that's required to see it through.

Helps nobody. Plus there would be dozens more motions every year as they'd have a much higher chance of getting through. The tinkermen would delights while our hands suffer.

When a motion is passed with a 2/3rds majority it will almost certainly have time to measure its impact.

twohands!!!

Breakdown what from I've seen so far (feel free to add - I say there are probably a lot of county boards taking votes this week)

For
Kerry
Tipperary
Mayo
Kildare
Meath

Against
Cork
GPA
CPA

trileacman

Quote from: Esmarelda on February 22, 2017, 09:03:30 PM
Quote from: Dubhaltach on February 22, 2017, 05:40:11 PM

I'd like to know the answer to this question to all those opposed.

What I mean is, regardless of what anyone thinks the ideal solution is, do you think that the current system is better or worse than the new proposal?

It's worse. It creates extra games for 8 counties, locking up county players for a greater period of the summer. It allows the stronger teams to have a couple of shit days out and still win the All Ireland. It allows the Division 1 elite to play more against top sides, become richer and become stronger.

It's one and only positive is that it increases the gaa coffers and will produce and favour more lucrative TV deals. It's the championship structure that Rupert murdoch would dream up.

And I'm not just a dour negative bastard. I'll support intelligent change such as wobblers, but this new proposal is an abberation.

Why are you in favour of it?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014