Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

DoireGael

Not sure how this all fits but north Derry vocational schools players seems to be ignored largely, this may have changed recently. But I remember St Mary's Limavady playing and wining county championships every year under Micky Moran and those lads never got a look in for development squads, never mind minor squads. Whereas counterparts from the big clubs got the call up, I see the reasoning on both side. If they did make the cut it was generally as men to go in an break ball etc. North Derry players I suspect have a higher drop out rate, plenty of things at play here but ultimately playing Junior or bottom intermediate football is quite the commitment at times and you're never going to put on a county jersey.

There should be acceptance that the Derry Senior set up is basically 100% South Derry, its the elephant in the room.

The implementation of Kerry style model e.g. David Clifford aka East Kerry for North Derry could be something to consider. It may sound ridiculous but they basically need an All-Star North Derry entered into the Senior championship, how would they do, hard to know? But it may give confidence to North Derry, additional support into the club game, something for players to aspire to and show there skills against the best. Or they just continue to ignore the Elephant.

theticklemister

Quote from: restorepride on July 15, 2023, 11:27:44 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 15, 2023, 11:17:36 PM
Who from North Derry get on?. Am up round achools in the city, and sthing not been coached right. There no way a school like St Patrick's with 30 classrooms worth of children should not be producing footballers like the small south Derry schools. They got the no.'s like alot of schools in the city, so what different in the coaching here and as they move on to the secondary level of education. There's somewhere Derry as a county have room for improvement but I feel these areas need a full time coach to make a difference. Plus schools outside of Magherafelt & Maghera. There scope to improve them. Derry going well in general but there always room to keep building, keep improving, we come a long way from 10yrs ago were we seemed in free fall, especially to the point of Division 4 as little bck as 2019.
One city school has 1,500 boys and .........  won a Hogan Cup in 1965. Wonder why?!  They should be winning McLarnon's at least on a regular basis or at least challenging.  If Adrian McGuckian was there ....

How the hell are we supposed to win the McLarnon Cup when my former school are not even in the McLarnon Cup?!

Times have changed, we maybe be 'C' or 'D' level now.

Chatting about St.Columb's, I was sitting in Liverpool Irish Centre watching the game yesterday and my former teammate from St.Columbs came walking in.

"Alright ticklemister, what's the craic lad, long time no see" came the strong culchie accent which he hasn't lost since moving across the water. A good chat about the olden days did ensue, as we watched Dublin hammer Donegal ladies.

"Mind the next day when only 5 boys turned up to school, the Derry Journal came for a photo of the squad but only a handful were in school, chased in by their mas"

"Mind some boys wanted to watch the MacRoary Cup after our game and we just went over the road to the bar"

"Mind Burnsy (Eamonn Burns) had us in on Saturdays, during the Christmas break"

"Mind the Friday sessions. No balls were used and we used to jog down to the running track at St.Columb's College"

Good times. Best times.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Je lads, we are having it so good these days. Enjoy it all and stop your bloody bickering.

Up the City.

WT4E

Just a genuine question I was thinking about

Would a Rory G managed Derry have beaten Kerry?

Cluborcountywhynotboth

Hard to tell. You can't underestimate how much Gallagher talked players through the game from the side line, he was like a puppet master. I don't think Derry would have lost from 2 points up with a few minutes to play with Gallagher on the line. However would they have been in that position with him on the line? Would he have went for Kerry the way Derry did on Sunday? I think meenagh got the balance almost perfect with retaining the defensive set up put attacking expansively when they could. At two points up if Derry take their scores and better selections or score one of those goal chances we could be talking of a 5/6 point win here today...I don't know if Gallagher would have been as positive. I also think it was very telling after the game meenagh talked about the set up and how the players had to work it out for themselves in the game at times, for me this will bring Derry on in the long run as players and as a team a lot more than Gallaghers micro management style.

tbrick18

We need to remember that until Gallagher came along, we hadn't won an Ulster championship game in years.
Meenagh was already there before Gallagher arrived too so credit where its due.
I think it's clear now that the combination of both are what brought Derry on.
Without Gallagher we prob wouldn't be at the level we are at now. The same could be said of Meenagh.
For what it's worth, meenagh should be given the chance to remain if he wants it.
If there's any notion by derry County board to appoint a new manager, there is only one option out the and that is malachy o'rourke, but I'd want meenagh still on the ticket for consistency.
O'rourke might not want that.

The conversation on North derry South derry bias has been rumbling on for years for the derry senior team.
I don't believe it exists. If a player is good enough, a manager will want them.  What benefit would it be to anyone to not select best players based on their club? Every manager wants to win and if they think a player will help them do that they'll try to get them on board.

The question around how do we improve north derry clubs is a different one. Really what you are talking about in the city is to change the family culture of the vast majority and to get them to take kids to football from u6s and keep them at it. It has to start at that level. Changing that family mindset in those areas will eventually improve the standards in schools and eventually at senior level. There is no quick fix. I'm not sure promoting the games with coaches is the answer either.
How do you change that culture? No idea. Soccer is still prevalent in the city. How do we sell gaelic games to the population of derry in such a way that its compelling to families who traditionally only have a passing interest in gaa? Of course there are hard-core gaels in the city, but not enough to regularly provide county players at the required level.
As for established clubs in North derry, almost all seem to struggle with numbers, with dungiven/banagher perhaps the exception. That's perhaps a geographical issue, so perhaps merge a few clubs? Controversial I know, but perhaps it would be to the benefit of all? I've got no answers to be honest, but I don't  agree that there is deliberate bias against North derry players.

Derryman forever

Is there a fixture programme for the senior championship out yet. And where might i access it?

oakleaflad

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 18, 2023, 08:53:59 AM
We need to remember that until Gallagher came along, we hadn't won an Ulster championship game in years.
Without Gallagher we prob wouldn't be at the level we are at now. The same could be said of Meenagh.
For what it's worth, meenagh should be given the chance to remain if he wants it.
If there's any notion by derry County board to appoint a new manager, there is only one option out the and that is malachy o'rourke, but I'd want meenagh still on the ticket for consistency.

The conversation on North derry South derry bias has been rumbling on for years for the derry senior team.
I don't believe it exists. If a player is good enough, a manager will want them.  What benefit would it be to anyone to not select best players based on their club? Every manager wants to win and if they think a player will help them do that they'll try to get them on board.

The question around how do we improve north derry clubs is a different one. Really what you are talking about in the city is to change the family culture of the vast majority and to get them to take kids to football from u6s and keep them at it. It has to start at that level. Changing that family mindset in those areas will eventually improve the standards in schools and eventually at senior level. There is no quick fix. I'm not sure promoting the games with coaches is the answer either.
How do you change that culture? No idea. Soccer is still prevalent in the city. How do we sell gaelic games to the population of derry in such a way that its compelling to families who traditionally only have a passing interest in gaa? Of course there are hard-core gaels in the city, but not enough to regularly provide county players at the required level.
As for established clubs in North derry, almost all seem to struggle with numbers, with dungiven/banagher perhaps the exception. That's perhaps a geographical issue, so perhaps merge a few clubs? Controversial I know, but perhaps it would be to the benefit of all? I've got no answers to be honest, but I don't  agree that there is deliberate bias against North derry players.
For what it's worth I think you've hit the nail on the head at the end there. North Derry clubs are almost all incredibly small in size in comparison to South Derry clubs.
You've got Dungiven and now Steelstown who would be comparable in size to the bigger clubs in South Derry and you could reasonably expect to see county players come through these clubs relatively regularly. There's probably a drop off in size then to the likes of Faughanvale, Banagher, Limavady, Coleraine who have had varied fortunes over the years but there's room for improvement there. You could also argue clubs like Craigbane and Foreglen have done relatively well for themselves, winning Intermediate titles over the years, given their small size too.
I don't think merging the clubs is a starter but a North Derry regional team outside of senior maybe an option.

ahyewillyewillyewill

Meenagh needs to get the job, for a year anyway, he hasn't put a foot out of line... but Derry County board being Derry County board will more than likely screw this up...

tbrick18

Quote from: ahyewillyewillyewill on July 18, 2023, 10:06:39 AM

Meenagh needs to get the job, for a year anyway, he hasn't put a foot out of line... but Derry County board being Derry County board will more than likely screw this up...

I think that's actually unfair on the current board.
Things have definately changed at DCB level in the last 5-7 years. I think we have to give them credit at least for the senior and minor football team support and structures.

ahyewillyewillyewill

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 18, 2023, 10:10:42 AM
Quote from: ahyewillyewillyewill on July 18, 2023, 10:06:39 AM

I think that's actually unfair on the current board.
Things have definately changed at DCB level in the last 5-7 years. I think we have to give them credit at least for the senior and minor football team support and structures.

A lot of that credit goes to the coaching and games manager Chris Collins....

As for for County Board...they knew full well the history of the last senior manager and yet still employed him, he only went when the heat got turned up and public opinion changed..
I'll say again.. they knew full well....

Interstellar

One way to grow the game is to have a successful county team.
At a sporting level Gallagher certainly dragged the county back from the dead. However if we had even half the performance a year ago against an average enough Galway as we did last Sunday then we would have been in another All Ireland.
Against Gallagher is the too cautious approach which we have seen does not work for us or Armagh. Also the failure to expand the squad if the players are there is a problem.

the goal was on

Will Gallagher stay on though? Hard to believe he hadn't influenced still in that set up. His cousin became very prominent anyway along the sidelines the past few months . Think current management should be well entitled to keep work they are doing going. If Gallagher is gone next year will be the real test for them when starting off from the start on their own.

Derryman forever

Quote from: the goal was on on July 18, 2023, 02:35:13 PM
Will Gallagher stay on though? Hard to believe he hadn't influenced still in that set up. His cousin became very prominent anyway along the sidelines the past few months . Think current management should be well entitled to keep work they are doing going. If Gallagher is gone next year will be the real test for them when starting off from the start on their own.

Have i missed something?
Is Gallagher not gone before the ulster Final?

Mikhailov

Quote from: the goal was on on July 18, 2023, 02:35:13 PM

I think that is his brother who was along the sidelines, not his cousin

Derryman forever

I will ask again.

Have the Derry senior championship fixtures been set yet? And where can I  avail of them?