Concerned Gaels

Started by give her dixie, June 20, 2018, 02:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

give her dixie

High-profile GAA members sign Palestine petition amid controversy over flags

Around 1,200 Ulster GAA members have signed a petition in support of the people of Palestine amid controversy over attempts to stop flags being flown at grounds.

All-Ireland winners Peter Canavan and Oisin McConville are among dozens of current and former county players to have added their names to the initiative by a group called 'Concerned Gaels'.

It is expected that a copy of the petition, which calls for support for the Palestinian people and their demands for human rights, will be handed to the Ulster Council in Armagh today.

Organisers say county players to have signed it include Armagh's Brendan Donaghy and Gavin McParland and Tyrone's Padraig McNulty, with former players including Tyrone's Paudge Quinn.

It is understood it has also received the backing of Tyrone manager Mickey Harte.

The petition comes after Ulster Council officials ordered the removal of two Palestinian flags during a championship game at Healy Park in Omagh last month, although it is believed an attempt to remove them was unsuccessful.

The council has said the only flags allowed in grounds are the official GAA flag, national flag and team colours.

Earlier this month, a match between Tyrone and Meath in Navan - not under the auspices of Ulster GAA - saw a Tyrone fan holding a Palestinian flag arrested by gardaí following an exchange with officers. The Dungannon man was later given an adult caution and released.

A prominent Palestinian campaigner, John Hurson, also revealed that he was told he would no longer needed as Tyrone's match day social media officer on the morning of the Meath game.

An honorary Palestinian citizen, he had voiced his criticism of the attempt to remove flags at Healy Park and believes the decision to drop him was linked to his comments.

Mr Hurson is known throughout Ireland for his work with the 'Tyrone to Gaza' group and managed the official Tyrone social media feeds voluntarily since 2011.

The petition states: "We, the undersigned members of Cumann Lúthchleas Gael, abhor the ongoing genocide in Palestine and call on all right thinking people to continue to stand in solidarity with the Palestinian people and support their demands for basic human rights.

"We also call on Comhairle Uladh CLG to guarantee that the appalling scenes in Páirc Tailteann, Navan, are never repeated at any GAA ground in the province of Ulster."

Organisers say the petition received more than 1,200 signatures in a week after every club in Ulster was contacted by email.

It is understood copies have also been distributed at both club and county training sessions across the province.

A spokeswoman for Concerned Gaels said the incident in Navan was "the final straw".

"It seems to be Ulster who are driving this," she said.

"Officials from the Ulster Council need to fully explain the thinking behind this."

The Ulster Council did not respond to requests for comment yesterday.

The petition organisers have set up a Facebook page and website for anyone who wants to add their names.

https://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/06/20/news/high-profile-gaa-members-sign-palestine-petition-amid-controversy-over-flags-1360241/
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Syferus

HQ need to stand their ground on this one. A very small but very loud minority support this politicising of the games. It remains incredibly distasteful to me that these people use the Palestinian cause as a prop to further their own selfish ends.

If anyone wants to pretend that all but a few of these people have any real interest in their plights and it isn't yet another attempt to try to wind up unionists in the north, cop on. Creating divisions rather than trying to bridge them, even in sport.

give her dixie

Quote from: Syferus on June 20, 2018, 02:28:22 AM
HQ need to stand their ground on this one. A very small but very loud minority support this politicising of the games. It remains incredibly distasteful to me that these people use the Palestinian cause as a prop to further their own selfish ends.

If anyone wants to pretend that all but a few of these people have any real interest in their plights and it isn't yet another attempt to try to wind up unionists in the north, cop on. Creating divisions rather than trying to bridge them, even in sport.

Just shut up. Please. Shut up and take time to read and understand the sentiments of the people not only in Ulster, but across Ireland  right now.

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Farrandeelin

Do you have to go to the fb page to sign it?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

thewobbler

Quote from: give her dixie on June 20, 2018, 03:14:12 AM

Just shut up. Please. Shut up and take time to read and understand the sentiments of the people not only in Ulster, but across Ireland  right now.

Choices:

a) allow every politically attuned member of our Association to use the GAA as a vehicle for promoting their politics, and therefore inevitably over time generate negative publicity and infighting.

Or

b) remain politically neutral and concentrate on football and hurling.

—-

Those who would choose to follow a) are narrow minded, myopic fools.

longballin

Good luck with the petition and highlighting such an injustice and sending that visible support. If it's through the GAA so be it. There is so much support has gone out from Ireland to the oppressed people of Palestine both moral support and in the way of aid. Pay no heed to the tory "Im alright fuc you Jack" crowd.

seafoid

If you see the cruelty in the flesh it is very hard to do nothing. There are so many parallels with our own history . GAA people are decent so why not leverage that ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hardy

Quote from: thewobbler on June 20, 2018, 07:02:42 AM

Choices:

a) allow every politically attuned member of our Association to use the GAA as a vehicle for promoting their politics, and therefore inevitably over time generate negative publicity and infighting.

Or

—-

+1

Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2018, 07:45:25 AM
If you see the cruelty in the flesh it is very hard to do nothing. There are so many parallels with our own history . GAA people are decent so why not leverage that ?

False dichotomy. Nobody said "do nothing".

Beffs

Quote from: seafoid on June 20, 2018, 07:45:25 AM

When I go to watch a match, I go to support my county and watch a match. I'm not interested in having my attendance be leveraged or exploited to support political causes, thanks very much. My being a decent skin, or an utter tosspot doesn't really come into it.

longballin

Isn't about supporting a political cause... is highlighting the massacre of men, women and children. Regarding Palestine is the same as Argentina football team stand they took as does Ronaldo using his football profile.

haranguerer

You are UNBELIEVABLY clueless. A complete f**king idiot firing round falsehoods and stupid opinions on everything under the sun. Unless you're a WUM, I don't know why you bother.

Stan Laurel

Choices:

Or

—-

Fantastic post, totally agree.

haranguerer

Just to point out, its impossible for the GAA to 'remain politically neutral' as it never has been

Beffs

Quote from: longballin on June 20, 2018, 08:25:04 AM
Isn't about supporting a political cause... is highlighting the massacre of men, women and children. Regarding Palestine is the same as Argentina football team stand they took as does Ronaldo using his football profile.

Grand so. I'm sure you won't mind me showing up in Clones with my Orange Order banners and flags, to highlight the massacre of insert Troubles incident of your choice here -------->

Can I hang some Union Jack bunting around the stand where Arlene will be sitting? Just so that she feels we are all in solidarity with the terrible mental trauma her kind must feel about not being let take their silly wee drums and their silly bowler hats down the Garvahy Rd on the Glorious 12th? Then after that, can I hang some Stars and Stripes flags from all the flag poles, to show solidary with The Donald for showing those dirty Mexicans whats what? Then I want to put up big billboards around the ground of waffles. Why waffles? Well, we need to highlight the terrible human rights abuses in the Belgian Congo in the 1950's. I won't rest until the world is rid of all waffles.

Do you see where this is going?

Owenmoresider

Choices:

Or

—-

Spot on.