Another attack on the GAA

Started by T Fearon, October 06, 2008, 02:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: dublinfella on October 06, 2008, 05:22:56 PM
I'm mystified as to what the 'attack' on the GAA is here. Then I remembered that Fearon isn't even a GAA man and sees OWC plots everywhere

:D Says the kettle...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: thejuice on October 06, 2008, 03:42:31 PM
I think its always worthwhile getting the point of view of those outside GAA circles. people need to stop looking upon them all as attacks but look at what the issues are. I dont think this is a case of attack here.

Agreed, this article is in no way "An attack on the GAA".

AFS

This paragraph confused me:

The obvious challenge for the GAA is to take itself beyond the narrow ground of old-fashioned nationalism. To truly cross the religious and political divide, especially in the aftermath of the signing of the Good Friday agreement. That pact recognises two states within one island but the All-Ireland dimension is central to the GAA's tradition as is its association with the Catholic church.

What is he trying to say here? I don't really understand the link to the church at all, not these days anyway. And I also don't understand the tangent he goes on about the GFA recognising 2 states but that the GAA exists on an All Ireland basis, is he suggesting that there should be seperate competitions for north and south of the border?

All in all not really an attack on the GAA, rather it came across as the viewpoint of a person from a unionist background who had made a decent attempt at involving himself in the GAA. Relations between the GAA and unionism would be a lot better if more unionists thought like this guy rather than this one  ::) :

The GAA is too deepseated in sectarianism even for unionists (with a small "u") and is far too entrenched in irish republican paraphernalia to be taken seriously except by those who feel an affinity with the national anthem & flag of the Irish Republic plus those who are comfortable with grounds and trophies named after terrorists and murderers.

Where is the GAA's "Gaelic Football For All" campaign, similar to the one adopted by the Irish FA's "Football For All" which has led to an inclusive atmosphere at Windsor Park & Northern Ireland supporters being awarded the Best Fans award, to say nothing of NI gear being worn in areas traditionally nationalist.

A lot of people who attend GAA matches aren't fussed about the nationalist guff, but they need to take their heads out of the sand, bin all these old trappings and then non nationalists may take an interest in the "sport".

NAG

Anyone seen a NI shirt in a nationalist area so far?

Anyone think Windsor park is a nice place for a catholic/nationalist/republican to be as the waves of the sash and the billy boys roar out from the Kop?

ziggysego

I see NI tops everywhere. Can't say it bothers me in the slightest. After all, they are showing support for their team, so why would it.
Testing Accessibility

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: NAG on October 08, 2008, 12:16:39 PM
Anyone seen a NI shirt in a nationalist area so far?

Anyone think Windsor park is a nice place for a catholic/nationalist/republican to be as the waves of the sash and the billy boys roar out from the Kop?

Quote from: ziggysego on October 08, 2008, 12:32:08 PM
I see NI tops everywhere. Can't say it bothers me in the slightest. After all, they are showing support for their team, so why would it.

I think that the point here is that you CAN wear a ni top in a Nationalist area, whereas God help you if you make the mistake of venturing into a unionist area wearing your club/county colours!
Tbc....