Depression

Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

This is definitely the right place to come to get opinions (!), advice or thoughts on the most random of things because we're all very similar with largely similar backgrounds and therefore I think the vast majority of us will either know how you feel or know someone close to us who probably does.
I know a friend of mine has suffered since school and has had hard times since, despite the good job, supportive husband and 2 kids. So you're absolutely not alone.

BarryBreensBandage

Oiche Mhaith, Tog go Bog e.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

whiskeysteve

Red Hand Man, really have to commend you on being brave enough to open up and share your pain on here. Depression is a disease and not a sign of weakness, you should treat it like any other disease and go see the doctor about it. Even the act of sitting down and opening up to someone will start to lift this gloom off your shoulders. Very likely you would be speaking to a GP who will have have had dozens of people through the door with the same dark thoughts and misery. They will know exactly how to deal with it and will listen to you very patiently. Pick up the phone tomorrow morning and book an appointment, and keep the momentum going from opening up on this forum.

I would echo other posters on being active. If you think about, id say your depression would likely be bad at times when you are on your own or inactive, and at its worst when you are both.

Be not solitary, be not idle. Take on a new challenge, enter a 10k or half marathon, take on an evening class, take on a new sport or pastime by joining a local club, there are lots of ways to challenge yourself into activity and social interaction.

First step though, book in to see the doctor and know that everyone on here would back you 100% on opening up about how you feel. You're not on your own and people will support you in getting better, seek help and you will get it  :)
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

omaghjoe

Quote from: Asal Mor on May 23, 2016, 09:19:40 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 22, 2016, 01:11:12 AM
Quote from: Red Hand Man on May 22, 2016, 12:44:46 AM
Thanks. Not so good when that game doesn't even raise the dander in me.

Well you know what?

Go to bed now and get up tomorrow and if you werent intending to go tomorrow make a point of going to it, if it is in anyway possible. There is nothing like the first round of the championship, the smell of burgers and onions, fags, the crowds, the tension, the roar, the scores, the banter, the radio on the way home. Deadly stuff!

I dont know what way you are spiritually but Im at home with my daughter at the minute on the other side of the planet. And we will say a prayer for ye.
They do smell nice, but I don't think you're supposed to call them that anymore.

What? Even at home? Im in California but persist regardless

Imagine the looks you get when your response to a group of fellas smoking e-cigarettes in a pub is

"I hate them c***ts with their hipster fags"

omaghjoe

Dont worry RHM its all annoymous anyway so its the perfect place if your worried about going public and theres nothing to be ashamed about anyway it can happen the best of us.

I know two girls who are the brightest, most out going and friendly people you could ever meet. Had great lives (from the outside at least) but they both had bother with the blues. Sometimes there is no apparent rhyme nor reason it can just strike you down

But the best thing you can do (i think) is talk to people about anything we are social beings/connected souls so we have to bounce our minds off each other. And sometimes that means with your peers which isnt always as easy as it sounds with a young family and job etc. So sometimes this is as good as place as any if you have nothing else.

seafoid

Quote from: Red Hand Man on May 23, 2016, 11:12:45 PM
Thanks Gold.

Can I just ask, does anyone have any opinion on using sleeping tablets to get off to sleep?  I seem to find it hardest when I'm lying in bed at night. Mind racing and dark thoughts. If I thought they would knock me out I think I'd go for it. Afraid of any side effects though.  Getting out of bed in the morning is tough enough as it is.
They help you get the rest you need when your brain is whirring and your sleep doesn't come like it does usually . You won't need them when you feel yourself again. It will take time to get back to yourself but you will do it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Red Hand Man on May 23, 2016, 11:12:45 PM
Thanks Gold.

Can I just ask, does anyone have any opinion on using sleeping tablets to get off to sleep?  I seem to find it hardest when I'm lying in bed at night. Mind racing and dark thoughts. If I thought they would knock me out I think I'd go for it. Afraid of any side effects though.  Getting out of bed in the morning is tough enough as it is.

Went through this myself a couple of times, anywhere from a few weeks to almost a year. DO NOT self medicate or self diagnose yoursel, go see your primary doctor. It took me awhile to figure that out. Regarding the sleeping, I found for myself reading at night in bed distracts me from the mind going like a hamster wheel on turbo as my mind would be more active when just lying there in bed. I read till I can't keep my eyes open and just drift off.

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

bennydorano

I was out cycling this evening and saw a flagpole in a normal looking house on the side of the road, on the flagpole was a smiley face flag. Part of a mental health campaign or old skool stalwart??

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on September 05, 2016, 08:01:50 PM
I was out cycling this evening and saw a flagpole in a normal looking house on the side of the road, on the flagpole was a smiley face flag. Part of a mental health campaign or old skool stalwart??

That was coat of arms of the Smiley family.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

blewuporstuffed

That sounds like a horrendous time you have been going through, I hope things have picked up for you since that post  :-\
Hang in there
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Asal Mor

Best wishes Fionntamhnach and fair play on such an honest and powerful post. I could relate to a lot of it(and I can genuinely say that you've often struck me as a brilliant poster on here). I've been through periods like that in my life too, the last couple of years actually but I recently started working with people who have intellectual disabilities and I love it. That, my family and running like a lunatic every chance I get, help me to keep it fairly positive. It's still a battle everyday, but it's worth hanging in there to see what happens I think. If there is ever any way I can help, PM me.

omaghjoe

Jesus Fintona I had no idea you where going through that, always enjoyed your posts a lot. Hope things pickup for you, use all the support you can and focus your energies on the good things in life... it will not always be bad or dark

BennyHarp

Very powerful stuff Fionntamhnach. You are one of a small number of posters who I'd actually stop to read and enjoy your contributions to the board. Keeping fighting fella.
That was never a square ball!!

Hardy

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 25, 2016, 09:43:14 PM
Very powerful stuff Fionntamhnach. You are one of a small number of posters who I'd actually stop to read and enjoy your contributions to the board. Keeping fighting fella.

Same here. Apart from his contributions on general subjects, Fionntamhnach seems to have encyclopaedic knowledge of TV systems, transmission, reception, etc. that he has always shared willingly here. I have great time for people who know stuff, whatever it's about.The world doesn't work without them.

ONeill

Keep er lit Fionntamhnach. Takes balls to write that.

One thing though, why on earth did ye pick the moniker bummer.....of all usernames.....?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.