Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Just reading that. Very sad.

BennyCake

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 08, 2019, 07:26:03 PM
Just reading that. Very sad.

Very sad indeed. No age at all. Remember him in the Spurs defence.

Farrandeelin

Pádraig Carney - the Flying Doctor. All Ireland winner in 1950/1951 Mayo teams. RIP.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 09, 2019, 09:33:11 PM
Pádraig Carney - the Flying Doctor. All Ireland winner in 1950/1951 Mayo teams. RIP.
Jaysus, just got the news one minute ago an was checking here. Too bad the rumour I heard was true.
RIP Padraig.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

rrhf

RIP.. Why was he called the flying doctor?  Would Padraig be the last of the all Ireland medal winners in mayo?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: rrhf on June 09, 2019, 10:50:32 PM
RIP.. Why was he called the flying doctor?  Would Padraig be the last of the all Ireland medal winners in mayo?
He was living and working as a doctor in New York but still fogged out for Mayo so had to fly over for matches etc.

stephenite

I think Prendergast is the last one left

Mayo4Sam

I logged on here fully expecting some gobshite to have made a crude attempt at humour to answer that question. Not often you get to say it on here but fair play for a classy way to ask a question a lot of people outside of Mayo would be interested in knowing the answer to.

I'm sure these lads (Carney, Prendergast et al) weren't happy when this curse craic gained popularity about 10 years ago

RIP to a true Mayo legend, it must have been a mad journey in those days.

First man to score a penalty in an AIF, by all account should have had another AI in '49
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

quit yo jibbajabba

If Fearon had been still here he wouldnt have let ye down on that score..

ziggysego

Philomena Lynott RIP
Testing Accessibility

paddyjohn

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: paddyjohn on June 26, 2019, 10:54:45 AM
Ivan Cooper ex civil rights activist and SDLP politician.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-45049734

Very sorry to hear this. A name synonymous with the Civil Rights movement. The fact that he was from a working class Protestant background significantly increased the personal risk of violence that he was open to. He therefore was willing to put his head above the parapet for others.

Rest In Peace. 

Hereiam

Them DUP friggers are bitter. Driving home yesterday and one of them was being interviewed on radio six counties (cant remember the name of the p***k) but he had to make the point 3 times that Ivan turned his back on the unionist people when he got involved with the civil rights movement. The man was trying to help both sides of the community but these pricks refuse to see that.

johnnycool

Quote from: Hereiam on June 27, 2019, 12:30:30 PM
Them DUP friggers are bitter. Driving home yesterday and one of them was being interviewed on radio six counties (cant remember the name of the p***k) but he had to make the point 3 times that Ivan turned his back on the unionist people when he got involved with the civil rights movement. The man was trying to help both sides of the community but these pricks refuse to see that.

William something or other, I heard it myself and thought the same thing.

It just re-enforced their mindset that any sop to a Catholic was at the expense of a protestant.

ziggy90

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on June 27, 2019, 11:16:50 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on June 26, 2019, 10:54:45 AM
Ivan Cooper ex civil rights activist and SDLP politician.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-45049734

Very sorry to hear this. A name synonymous with the Civil Rights movement. The fact that he was from a working class Protestant background significantly increased the personal risk of violence that he was open to. He therefore was willing to put his head above the parapet for others.

Rest In Peace.

Well said.
RIP.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered