Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Last week Offaly GAA lost Fr Tom Scully to Covid-19. An inspirational figure, he is widely credited within the county with a pioneering role in the work that led to breakthrough football All-Irelands in 1971 and '72.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/se%C3%A1n-moran-fr-tom-scully-the-leader-of-offaly-football-1.4228898
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

Actor Brian Dennehy.

J70

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 16, 2020, 06:21:34 PM
Actor Brian Dennehy.

No way. :(

Great character actor.

Saw him on Broadway, opposite Christopher Plummer, in a production of Inherit The Wind.

Think he has Cork roots, right?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: J70 on April 16, 2020, 06:33:09 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 16, 2020, 06:21:34 PM
Actor Brian Dennehy.

No way. :(

Great character actor.

Saw him on Broadway, opposite Christopher Plummer, in a production of Inherit The Wind.

Think he has Cork roots, right?

Grandparents both from Cork apparently.

bennydorano

Norman Hunter of dirty Leeds, aged 76. Covid 19

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: bennydorano on April 17, 2020, 11:19:35 AM

One of the greats and very sorry to hear of his passing.

I know your reference to dirty Leeds is a tongue in cheek comment Benny and no harm is meant, but I wonder is the Leeds' reputation still a factor today as I was struck with the contrast between the headline reaction for Dalglish, when it was announced he had COVID 19 but was asymptomatic, and the much lesser media attention for Norman Hunter who was seriously ill in hospital with the same condition.

May Norman Rest In Peace.  Thanks for some wonderful memories.

imtommygunn

Dalglish is very high profile whereas Hunter probably old enough to not be so much so.

RIP. I know the name and the association. Flipping virus is wiping out older people :(

J70

I didn't even know Hunter was ill.

Was it publicized prior to his death?

quit yo jibbajabba

Ya.
In fairness he got the end bit on the news there this eve

ziggy90

I didn't think he was that dirty, cynical maybe and I'm sure he was instructed to be so. He could also play a bit could Norman
RIP.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Square Ball

Quote from: ziggy90 on April 17, 2020, 10:53:00 PM

I didn't think he was that dirty, cynical maybe and I'm sure he was instructed to be so. He could also play a bit could Norman
RIP.

Did I hear that he was the first Players Player of the year?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

MK

Marty Lundy RIP-lead singer with Kathmandu,entertained a generation in dark days....cupids newry

bennydorano

Quote from: MK on April 18, 2020, 08:01:32 PM
Marty Lundy RIP-lead singer with Kathmandu,entertained a generation in dark days....cupids newry
Watched them at least a dozen times in Hughes in Armagh.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 17, 2020, 12:11:33 PM

One of the greats and very sorry to hear of his passing.

I know your reference to dirty Leeds is a tongue in cheek comment Benny and no harm is meant, but I wonder is the Leeds' reputation still a factor today as I was struck with the contrast between the headline reaction for Dalglish, when it was announced he had COVID 19 but was asymptomatic, and the much lesser media attention for Norman Hunter who was seriously ill in hospital with the same condition.

May Norman Rest In Peace.  Thanks for some wonderful memories.

A great footballer, according to Gilesy, and apparently a genuinely nice fella - worked in the club up to this season, I'm told.  RIP.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-more-than-one-million-people-now-receiving-state-income-support-1.4233192

More than one million people are now receiving some sort of state income support, Minister for Social Protection Regina Doherty has said.

The Department issued pandemic unemplyment payments to 584,000 people on Monday. Around 50,000 people are receiving a payment for the first time.

These payments are in addition to the 212,000 people on the live register and over 46,000 employers have now registered with the Revenue Commissioners for the temporary Covid-19 wage subsidy scheme.

Speaking on Monday, Ms Doherty described the situation as something which is "unparalleled in our nation's history".
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU